Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What host for a new forum (no users yet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What host for a new forum (no users yet)

Hi a lot of people ask what host for a forum but you have already a size of how many users are in your forum but in my case I want to start a new forum with zero users so what hosting can I use as start up?

The website from what I plan to add this forum has 750 different visitors daily.

It is not the number of users that dictate the choice of host it is the amount of database memory you are allowed with the host.
    <<<<<<<<< It is over there !

Comment

Do you mean memory in GB storage or in RAM usage?

Comment

GigaBytes

Comment

Originally posted by josiah1 View Post
          It is not the number of users that dictate the choice of host it is the amount of database memory you are allowed with the host.
          Not really, there are a large number of factors, how many users online, how active, how many addons, etc.

Most webhosts should be okay, don't get a webhost who offers unlimited bandwidth or storage, if you can't buy a pc with it, it doesn't exsist.

Comment

users are between 5 to 10 online.

About addons basically I'll start with the SEO one and spanish plugin.

I also was thinking to use a windows one but there's no suhosin and mod_security

also about this list I don't know if those are available on windows host

Check to make sure PHP is compiled with the following:
            • cURL with SSL Support, OpenSSL (for facebook integration)
            • GD (for image support)
            • mbstring and/or iconv (for multi-language compatibility_
            • xml
            • zlib (for compression)
            • mysql/mysqli (which one - both?)
            • standard (most php scripts probably won't work with this disabled)
            • json (for mobile)
            • hash (for md5 support)
            • SPL
            • SOAP (for integration with VerticalResponse)

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
              Not really, there are a large number of factors, how many users online, how active, how many addons, etc
              I would like to understand, so memory is not the most important factor, if a forum was allocated say 5mb it would be OK ?, the reason I ask is that I would be interested in having my own server but I always understood that massive memory was needed, can you explain a little further Z .

Comment

Memory can be, but there is much more to it than that. Pick a decent webhost, someone who doesnt sell you things that can't exsist, like unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage.

Comment

Does the hosting must be linux or is ok to be a windows server with IIS?

Comment

Either will work. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 5.2.0) and MySQL (minimum 4.1.0) installed. It is recommended to use PHP 5.2.6, or later and MySQL 5.0.19 or later. As long as you have a host or server that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

My current server has it, is a softsyshosting in where I have my .net website but since there's no suhosin or mod_security and the list above the requirements here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ask-a-new-host

I'm wondering if will be really a must have all that list on a windows environment?

Comment

I wouldn't normally recomend windows/iis for the average server. I have nothing agasint it, but personally I find trouble shooting and configuring of windows to be much more problematic compared to linux for the average user. If you're not insanely comforatlbe administrating an entire windows machine, i wouldn't recomend it,.

Comment

In my case is the opposite, I have pretty good knowledge on windows + IIS but not much on linux, php and apache or light speed that seems to be better than Apache.

I also would like to know if is possible to migrate from linux to windows and vice versa?

Comment

Yes, its pretty easy (dump the db, move the files, restore the db, done).

Comment

Cool, so I'll go with my current windows hosting.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X