X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffduck
    replied
    Interesting

I've gotten occasional errors but just rebuilt indexes and never thought about it because they didn't continue.

I have very low traffic but am going to be making big improvements this year and will tie the forums into the help system of my desktop software so I expect traffic to go up about 100x.

Thanks for the heads-up. I definitely have to look at making a change then.

Leave a comment:

• AusPhotography
    replied
    HG limit you to 25 concurrent MySQL connections, but that is not really a problem, unless you have some mod that is holding things up?
    It basically means you need 25 people to hit the site at the same instant for this to be a problem

Leave a comment:

• AusPhotography
    replied
    We use HG (shared) and have 14k members, 500,000+ posts, and we are a photographic forum, meaning we serve up lots of images.

Leave a comment:

• LouisB
    replied
    I'm currently with HostGator. It's only when you have more than 25 visitors querying the database (active connection) at the same time, that's when you will start seeing errors.

Leave a comment:

• jeffduck
    replied
    Unique Limit?

Where did you hear or read that you have a 25 unique visitor limit?

I've been using HostGator for years without a single problem and just read the Terms of Use. I didn't see any mention of a UV limit.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    I'd suggest you look at www.webhostingtalk.com for VPS and other hosting.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    A good host will actually handle the transfer for you, eg www.globalgold.co.uk but there are others.

Even if you do it yourself it's not that hard.

Leave a comment:

• My forum is new and still small, but HostGator shared hosting is not cutting it

My forum is still new and small. Unfortunately, my shared server from HostGator is not even sufficient enough for that. Apparently they cut my access to MySQL when I have over 25 unique visitors. This is not acceptable so I guess I have no choice but to switch to a VPS.

I'm tempted to stay with HostGator just so I don't have to go through whatever difficulties there may be with switching providers, for for $50 a month, I think that would be overkill for how much traffic my forum has.

Any reliable and affordable recommendations?