Advice with hosting, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice with hosting, please

At present, I have this package which costs me £330.00 per year.

VPS – Xpress
    15GB Disk space
    756MB Memory
    100GB Bandwidth per month

My hosting company now say I need more memory and must upgrade. Please, can someone advise me what sort of package and price I need to be looking at? My site is the British Genealogy forum and is at present hosted with Global Gold UK.
    British Genealogy.

Originally posted by Bo Peep View Post
    At present, I have this package which costs me £330.00 per year.

VPS – Xpress
    15GB Disk space
    756MB Memory
    100GB Bandwidth per month

My hosting company now say I need more memory and must upgrade. Please, can someone advise me what sort of package and price I need to be looking at? My site is the British Genealogy forum and is at present hosted with Global Gold UK.
    With those specifics you have I doubt that you need more memory for your forum. And for that price that you pay, you should have much more space as well by default. My advice would be to look for another host.

Comment

Message just received from Global Gold UK:-

We are pretty certain that it's bandwidth and I would recommend upgrading to the next package. If it helps. I'm happy to give you the next package free for a month to confirm this.
      British Genealogy.

Comment

Message just received from Global Gold UK:-

We are pretty certain that it's bandwidth and I would recommend upgrading to the next package. If it helps. I'm happy to give you the next package free for a month to confirm this.
        In my opinion you are already overpaying. Who is to say that they won''t tel you the same thing in a couple of months from now.

My advice to you, make first a backup of your db, if you already haven''t done so and start looking for a new host.

Comment

It was just twelve months ago that I was told by Global Gold UK that this was the package I needed.
          British Genealogy.

Comment

You really should have (at least) a gig of memory. Your forum isn't small. I would say check out WHT and look at the different companies.
            HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
            Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

just ask for more bandwidth.. should be only cheap per gig.
              Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

I have been offered this for £1008.00 per year, but it is a scary amount of money!

XenC-Select (Higher Performance)
                1GB Memory
                25GB Disk Space
                200GB Monthly Bandwidth
                Plesk Control Panel
                Full Root/Admin Access
                British Genealogy.

Comment

try eukhost.com or eurovps.com
                  MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

I have been offered this for £1008.00 per year, but it is a scary amount of money!

XenC-Select (Higher Performance)
                    1GB Memory
                    25GB Disk Space
                    200GB Monthly Bandwidth
                    Plesk Control Panel
                    Full Root/Admin Access
                    With the risk of self promotion, against the forum rules,

A simple package of 1.5GM RAM, cPanel, 50GB Disk Space, 200GB monthly bandwidth, full root/admin access for $45 per month, or $400 per annum, which is about £250 per annum with LiteSpeed Web Server, on a US VPS Server, as a vBulletin optimised package, I'd say that they're making a truck load of profit on you.

I've already had people from GlobalGold moving away.

Site speed looks find with 500+ people online at the moment. Did you say 768MB RAM?
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

hi,

I agree with Borbole also did they mention any reason why you would need more memory? it looks to me as they are using a dirty (with pretty talk eg 1 month free) trick to force you to upgrade and for the price you pay the amount of memory should have been higher by default same with disc space

Comment

Global Gold is NOT a budget host though.

Like all the companies selling a VPS with crazy amounts of everything for $45 per month, it is not possible on good SERVER grade hardware.

1.5GM RAM, cPanel, 50GB Disk Space, 200GB <-- that should be at LEAST $80 a month on good hardware...not budget desktop hardware.

Just my 2 cents.
                        HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
                        Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

Originally posted by KevinL View Post
                          Global Gold is NOT a budget host though.

Like all the companies selling a VPS with crazy amounts of everything for $45 per month, it is not possible on good SERVER grade hardware.

1.5GM RAM, cPanel, 50GB Disk Space, 200GB <-- that should be at LEAST $80 a month on good hardware...not budget desktop hardware.

Just my 2 cents.
                          FYI, the servers running the VPS containers are not budget/desktop servers. They are the older Q9550-based units, with standard RAID-10 15k SAS disks. The servers themselves are co-located, and purchased from HP or Dell (being phased out).

Global Gold and URLJet use virtualisation platforms such as Parallels' Virtuozzo or Citrix XenServer (free?). Virtuozzo costs a lot more and apparently offers better performance than than OpenVZ, a technology we used on the servers; I however, am yet to experience this.
                          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                          vBulletin Hosting and Services
                          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
                            FYI, the servers running the VPS containers are not budget/desktop servers. They are the older Q9550-based units, with standard RAID-10 15k SAS disks. The servers themselves are co-located, and purchased from HP or Dell (being phased out).

Global Gold and URLJet use virtualisation platforms such as Parallels' Virtuozzo or Citrix XenServer (free?). Virtuozzo costs a lot more and apparently offers better performance than than OpenVZ, a technology we used on the servers; I however, am yet to experience this.
                            I wasn't really trying to comment on your servers or anything. Just the setup you gave (eg 1.5GM RAM, cPanel, 50GB Disk Space, 200GB). This setup on quality hardware/software WILL run more in cost.

AFAIK Q9550 IS a desktop based cpu. Whereas the x3360 would be the server counterpart. Companies do use them as servers, but they are of lower end/budget server providers.

Nothing wrong with them...

Comment

Just received from Global Gold UK:-

It's a combination of memory and configuration I think.
                              British Genealogy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X