The most secure type of server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most secure type of server?

I am currently hosting vb4 on a dedicated server, I'm unsure if i'm overkilling it because we have just started days ago, we managed to accumulate 2000 registered members with 140,000 page views within the first 24 hours, until we experienced a 8gb DDoS on our server.

Our dedicated server provider pulled the plug on us as we had "bad enemies" as they put it. I've looked into DDoS protection and it seems ridiculously over price, believe it or not I got quoted $100,000 from one company...

The site we are hosting is a hip-hop discussion board with exclusive studio leaks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Urljet has ddos protection, there are other hosts out there with similar features as well.

Comment

Thank you, i'll look into them.

Comment

Having a secure server has nothing to do with a DDoS attack.

What you need is something in-between your primary server and the rest of the network. Basically, to cutoff any attacks and allow legitimate server traffic through.

Some co-location or hosting facilities offer DDoS management either via a hardware or software solution.

And yes, it *can* be expensive but not unreasonable. $100k is overdoing it, I'd say... either that or that kind of quote is for a enterprise type of environment.
        To be updated...

Comment

How much is reasonable? $300p/m?

I've been looking into: http://configserver.com/cp/cpanel.html

Will this help me?

Comment

Getting protection for that size of DDoS is going to cost at least 10,000$. A software firewall will not help you.
            Oppressed.

Comment

You want to avert the problem before it reaches your server. That software firewall will not cater for very efficient, and possible not effective, D/DoS protection.
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Exactly, block it before the server. Depending on your hosts tos you could get hit with the bandwidth charges.
                Greg
                www.urljet.com

Comment

Slightly funny, but the most secure server would be one not hooked into the internet.

Comment

There really is no protection for a ddos other then a human watching over and banning ip ranges on the fly....

my suggestion is to not make enemies....

nobody will be able to stop a well done DDOS... NOBODY! so don't waste your time.

There is a reason for your attacks... maybe look at that reason.
                    www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

That's brutal, its part of the package at urljet.
                      Greg
                      www.urljet.com

Comment

Originally posted by R1lover View Post
                        There really is no protection for a ddos other then a human watching over and banning ip ranges on the fly....

my suggestion is to not make enemies....

nobody will be able to stop a well done DDOS... NOBODY! so don't waste your time.

There is a reason for your attacks... maybe look at that reason.
                        There's ways to mitigate. A cdn can help..or a RioRey...but then it's a battle of who has the biggest pipes.

Your first suggestion is best
                        Greg
                        www.urljet.com

Comment

Originally posted by GregUURL View Post

That's brutal, its part of the package at urljet.
                          also for $100 / server urljet is overpriced end of story...

Comment

Chirpy is pretty knowledgeable about cPanel, I am pretty sure who he is carries a lot of weight and I don't doubt for a moment what he charges is worth it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X