Need a new host asap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new host asap.

I run a vBulletin Android Development forum that is massively growing.
    In the first two weeks we gained over 2,000 members, and 1.2 million hits.
    Our main source of traffic is another large development website, XDA-Developers.

Our community runs vBulletin, with an ajax chat that takes toll on the server.
    We are currently suspended (surpass hosting on a VPS) and need to move to a stable host. something cheap would be nice.
    Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:
    usage chart:
    Last edited by Unleashed2k; Thu 23 Dec '10, 8:06pm.

Hi,

looks like you need dedicated hosting and that isn't cheap you have two options

1) unmanged dedicated this is cheaper BUT most likely you will have to pay extra if you ask for support (eg if you don't have the knowledge and knowhow to have root access then this isn't your thing)
    2) managed dedicated this depends on the host you choose carefully read there management terms on what they do and what not managed dedicated is more expensive

Comment

I was recommended ASmallOrange's Cloud Server plan, for 35$.
      Any thoughts?

Comment

I have been with asmallorange pretty much since it was started....

Im not sure about the cloud plans yet as I have no experience with them... But I can recommend ASO in general. I started with them on a simple shared plan and now I own 3 dedicated servers hosted and managed with them. (and Im about to add another) They have always been helpful and gone above and beyond the call. They have helped me grow since my first forum.

You can probably start on one of their VPS's (see here) and then look into what to do next. Once they see your traffic they can better recommend what dedicated you may or may not need. They have managed and unmanaged dedicated servers now as well. Mention my name (Joeychgo from LVC Media) - it might get you a little extra help. (no I dont get a commission)
        vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
        vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
        Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Unleashed2k View Post
          I run a vBulletin Android Development forum that is massively growing.
          Are you running vB3 or vB4?
          My vB4 site consumes as many resources as my vB3 site which has 10x the traffic. Both are where on a VPS. I've since moved my vB3 site to a dedicated server with 4 times the RAM.
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Hi,
            I would contact www.urljet.com - they will give you a package suitable for your requirements. What makes them different to any other hosting provider you will find is that they specialize in vBulletin, and give you support that goes way beyond that of a normal host. They provide you with additonal features like hourly backups, LiteSpeed server technology (far superior than Apache), and a host of other features which you will not find elsewhere.

I have been with them for well over a year and never had an issue, their managed vBulletin support goes far beyond that of any host I have been with to date. Support is available 24/7/365 - telephone, support desk and email. I have been with many top hosting providers over the years, and none of them even come close to URLJet.

Many of the big boards I've seen around even state they are hosted by URLJet, when I mean big boards I refer to forums where 5000-8000+ users are online most of the time, even with this amount traffic, they run very quick because of all the optimization that URLJet does not only to your server but your vBulletin as well.

Comment

How much of your budget ?
              Optimize your website
              Cool Wallpaper
              All Android Rom

Comment

Hostgator have some solid dedicated / managed servers these days and are a trust worthy company, Good luck

Comment

I wouldn't use hostgator because there servers are very overpriced compared to other datacenters, also cloud hosting isn't something you want because if your site gets large your going to pay 10x more in price than if you would of went and got a true dedicated server.

What is your budget, than I can recommend some good choices.

Comment

better try theplanet.com or if you need manage server try eurovps.com
                    MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

theplanet is now softlayer, which has destroyed the company ever since they merged, they were a very good company, not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by rajubd View Post
                        better try theplanet.com or if you need manage server try eurovps.com
                        yeah try eurovps and pay ten times more then it should cost why pay for managment if you can do it yourself all it requirers is some technical knowledge the linux shell doesn't bite you know...

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage View Post
                          yeah try eurovps and pay ten times more then it should cost why pay for managment if you can do it yourself all it requirers is some technical knowledge the linux shell doesn't bite you know...
                          all people don't have time to manage won server. often my site goes down i never have to sit in my computer just a single mail everything fixed. thats why i loved manage server.
                          MobilePhoneTalk.Com - Mobile Phone Community Powered By EuroVPS.Com

Comment

Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post
                            Hi,
                            I would contact www.urljet.com - they will give you a package suitable for your requirements. What makes them different to any other hosting provider you will find is that they specialize in vBulletin, and give you support that goes way beyond that of a normal host. They provide you with additonal features like hourly backups, LiteSpeed server technology (far superior than Apache), and a host of other features which you will not find elsewhere.

I have been with them for well over a year and never had an issue, their managed vBulletin support goes far beyond that of any host I have been with to date. Support is available 24/7/365 - telephone, support desk and email. I have been with many top hosting providers over the years, and none of them even come close to URLJet.

Many of the big boards I've seen around even state they are hosted by URLJet, when I mean big boards I refer to forums where 5000-8000+ users are online most of the time, even with this amount traffic, they run very quick because of all the optimization that URLJet does not only to your server but your vBulletin as well.
                            Just a note than LightSpeed isn't far superior than Apache. With the correct tuning, Apache can be more powerful, and resilient than LightSpeed.
                            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                            vBulletin Hosting and Services
                            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

iweb.com is best and cheap.. I am with iweb for last 2 years now

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X