Hostgator Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtRider View Post
    Ok I have not read this thread from end to end so if I missed something sorry. Anyway I always have a good chuckle over this over selling thing and people trying to move you away from places like Hostgator. Now I have been with them for years and I have only had great experiences with then to date. So you are starting or have a small forum and evryone expects you to jump in and take a dedicated server package or something equally as expensive. My forums are a hobby of mine and if I had to fork out that type of money for hosting well I would just plain not be able to afford it all. The members on my forums love it as they also come to the forum for support or just to chat about what ever the forum is about. So I don't have to beg them for donations and sit around wondering if I can pay the bills for my hosting each month.

The bottom line is people like us need these over sellers as they fulfil our needs and HostGator does that far beyond my expectations.
    Hey Dirtrider!

I agree with you! Shared hosting is a great way to start, and if your forum is smaller, it is perfectly fine. One thing I HIGHLY recommend for ANYONE on a shared hosting is to get a Dedicated IP address with the shared hosting. Most offer it for a couple dollars a month. It is worth it, so you don't suffer being rated with spam sites that may be on the same server. Most people tend to upgrade to a VPS when their forum becomes too large for a shared host, or they want more control, flexibility or they don't want restrictions.

The main reason I switched from shared is cause I was tired of the limitations. When I tried to set up a newsletter mod on my forum and I couldn't get it working cause the shared host had IMAP disabled.

I switched to JaguarPC VPS and never looking back. Love it!

Comment

I am very happy with my VPS plan on Hostgator.

Comment

Hostgator is the most worthless and useless I've had. They continue to say I have script problems and the board only has 395 members with only 50 or so active.

Godaddy is far better than them, period!

They shut me down because showthread.php was using too many resources. They said check you script because it has changed, BS!

My advice, stay away and you'll be better off!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainwxman View Post
          Hostgator is the most worthless and useless I've had. They continue to say I have script problems and the board only has 395 members with only 50 or so active.

They shut me down because showthread.php was using too many resources. They said check you script because it has changed, BS!

how can a domain name registerar be better then a professional host ? i'm a hostgator dedicated customer and guess what i don't have any problems with them.The few times i need there support they are always there

Comment

I'm not with GoDaddy now. I used to be. They were slow that's why I moved to HG. Everything has been running on HG since Jan. 2010 and after renewing my account, they blocked showthread.php.

HG claimed I was using too many resources, 35%. I told them no and it was something else on their servers.

After some heated discussion, I pulled the plug and now moving another host.

I wouldn't go back to Godaddy because they are slow, extremely slow.

Comment

I have moved 5 or 6 clients to hostgator only to find out lately they are consistently having issues with downtime, hackings, poor response time to tickets and no results when tickets are opened. Currently searching for a new host as hostgator has outstayed their welcome at this time. And I thought siteground was bad...sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountainwxman View Post

That is the same garbage they are pulling with me...my site is down once a week for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage View Post
                  how can a domain name registerar be better then a professional host ? i'm a hostgator dedicated customer and guess what i don't have any problems with them.The few times i need there support they are always there
                  Same here not one problem.

Comment

I use Godaddy only for domain management, hosting with them or Hostgator is asking for trouble. Domain management services have always been a priority with me, and they offer some good features when using this side only of their services.

However, if you want to start running forums with numerous modifications, I see someone mentioned the showthread.php file, remember many modifications use hooks to this file therefore increasing cpu resources which can have severe impacts on your account with these companies offering the 'unlimited' ploy. If you run a 'vanilla' vBulletin then you should be okay to a degree. This will change if concurrent connections grow over time when your forum becomes more established, and that is when you will start hitting their 'limiting' scripts, and start receiving emails regarding resource hogging scripts.

You also have to bear in mind it is not just visitors that will cause you issues - you have other things to deal with like various spam bots, Zombies, hackers, etc - any of these will cause high server loads even though your visitors or members are low. There are ways around this if you know what you are doing.

I personally use URLJet, they may not be cheap as the aforementioned but you get what you pay for - 'you don't buy an "old car" and expect it to run like a Ferrari' - the same applies to hosting. Paying a few dollars a month gives you very limited hosting, not 'unlimited' which they advertise, this is just a well-known advertising ploy to get new customers to signup, usually never reading the TERMS & CONDITIONS where the restrictions are mentioned in the small print.

Comment

Hostgator are my favourite host.

Comment

I recently left HostGator.

Their support is a mixed bag. They're nice and friendly, but the level of competence relies heavily on luck. When I had 6+ hours of downtime, I called their phone support 3x for information on why the server was down and get an ETA, and all three of the support people I talked to on the phone said, and I will quote:

We know the server is down. Technicians are working to resolve the problem. I can't contact them to ask what the problem is because doing so would make the repairs take longer.
                        What kind of lame bull is that? It would take a single phone call and a note on an internal messaging system and they'd have the answer for all of those frustrated and irate customers.

Hours after my site was back up, I *finally* got an explanation, as well as a month's credit in accordance with HostGator's 99.9% uptime guarantee, I will give them credit for that. However, I still jumped at the opportunity to move to a new host when I found one that had excellent reviews amongst people that post on another forum that I frequent.

No matter what host you go with, you should make daily backups. But if you're with HostGator, do it religiously.

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo View Post
                          I have to disagree with Hostgator being good, sorry. As a matter of fact, I am changing hosts this next weekend to get away from Hostgator. I found a new host that has way better prices AND support.
                          name of host?

Comment

ServInt
                            vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

I am with host gator right now. I am having serious db issues. Thinking of moving. Where to go though?

Comment

I am getting ready to dump hostgator. I have had problems from day one.

Moved from a shared server since the old ISP would not upgrade the software to support VB 4.x

Moved to a shared account with Hostgator. Site was too slow. Was advised to switch to a VPS.
                                Switched to a Level 3 VPS. Site was still too slow. Upgraded to a Level 4. Still having issues. Did a Server Optimization. Still slow.
                                All support will do is to ask me to throw money at the issue. Said I should be on a Level 5 VPS.
                                Fine, upgraded to a Level 5. Guess what, still slow. Install xCache. No improvment that I can see.
                                But then again my site has been down since last night. Ticket with support has been in the queue for over 4 hours.

I do have to say normally they are real responsive. Even though they cannot fix my issue.

But now I am looking at switching to Servint or urljet.
                                http://www.ls1.com
                                http://www.lsxspeed.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X