Hostgator Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryan1918 View Post

hmmmz so mcafee rated your site red just because your personal website discusses malware oh well i thought mcafee whas a trustworthy security company but the more i read about it .... they are loosing my trust 2 of my mcafee security center subscriptions are about to expire this has done it i'm leaving mcafee and go to Symantec or Panda for my antivirus needs.

Comment

Hostgator (Dedicated) is a theplanet reseller i personally dislike Softlayer why ? try to talk to there abuse departement and you will find out.A while back a softlayer customer whas continously portscanning my server i complained about it they didn't even respond if i whas rich enough i would sue them damned idiots now i just banned there whole ip range bye bye softlayer

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage View Post
        Hostgator (Dedicated) is a theplanet reseller i personally dislike Softlayer why ? try to talk to there abuse departement and you will find out.A while back a softlayer customer whas continously portscanning my server i complained about it they didn't even respond if i whas rich enough i would sue them damned idiots now i just banned there whole ip range bye bye softlayer
        Evidently you have not heard. The Planet and Softlayer merged last year.
        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
        vBulletin Hosting and Services
        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
          Evidently you have not heard. The Planet and Softlayer merged last year.

yeah i do know that and my host is lucky i'm a customer from before the merge.I don't wanna go through all the hasszle changing it besides i'm satisfied there (not theplanet nor softlayer) but as soon as i here the name "Softlayer" fall i will pack my bags and leave.

Portscanning may seem harmless and sometimes it is pretty innocent (eg when the same port is scanned depends which port offcource) but if people continue to scan and my firewall logs show different port numbers then this is to cause harm.Sometimes my server get's scanned at port 22 now tell me what kind of serious guy/girl will not change his/her SSH port that's basic security knowlegde never run services you need on it's standard ports certainly not SSH

Comment

yeah i do know that and my host is lucky i'm a customer from before the merge.I don't wanna go through all the hasszle changing it besides i'm satisfied there (not theplanet nor softlayer) but as soon as i here the name "Softlayer" fall i will pack my bags and leave.

Portscanning may seem harmless and sometimes it is pretty innocent (eg when the same port is scanned depends which port offcource) but if people continue to scan and my firewall logs show different port numbers then this is to cause harm.Sometimes my server get's scanned at port 22 now tell me what kind of serious guy/girl will not change his/her SSH port that's basic security knowlegde never run services you need on it's standard ports certainly not SSH
            Ok. Talking of hosts, I was disappointed to see liquidweb's VPS offering.

Comment

here we go again ...

Jan 5 05:54:53 free lfd[16085]: *Port Scan* detected from 75.126.6.82 (US/United States/75.126.6.82-static.reverse.softlayer.com). 6 hits in the last 251 seconds - *Blocked in csf* for 3600 secs [PS_LIMIT]

softlayer lamers again

Comment

here we go again ...

Jan 5 05:54:53 free lfd[16085]: *Port Scan* detected from 75.126.6.82 (US/United States/75.126.6.82-static.reverse.softlayer.com). 6 hits in the last 251 seconds - *Blocked in csf* for 3600 secs [PS_LIMIT]

softlayer lamers again
                You could just block the whole of SoftLayer... then again.. what would be hosted that you need?

Comment

Originally posted by Shamil. View Post
                  Ok. Talking of hosts, I was disappointed to see liquidweb's VPS offering.
                  Damn I can't believe how much they are charging, they are making like a few thousand a server, rip and jip.. They are only 45 minutes away from my house.

Comment

well,

I feel that continious portscanning from the same ip ranges is yelling at root "i wanna get in" to use your server in malicious activities and softlayer abuse doesn't give a f.... i wonder why they even have a abuse department probably because they are required to by law

Comment

well,

I feel that continious portscanning from the same ip ranges is yelling at root "i wanna get in" to use your server in malicious activities and softlayer abuse doesn't give a f.... i wonder why they even have a abuse department probably because they are required to by law
                      Get your lawyer to draft a letter to SoftLayer - they'll probably respond to that.

Comment

Just contact there upsteam provider.

Comment

Hi All!

I personally have Godaddy. I know they don't have a great track record, but I have a 5 year paid account with them. I have used them for the last 5 years. And to tell you the truth, I have had some run in's with support and problems, but, not very often. Overall, I have been pretty happy. I came close to switching at times, but the hassle of switching all my domains, hosting, email, etc is a pain. I have everything with godaddy so having it all centralized is easier.

Only issue I am trying to figure out right now, and any advice is recommended. Godaddy limits the mysql database to 1 gig maximum. How big would my forum have to be to exceed 1 gig database? If that were to happen, is there any place that I could just host the database?
                          Last edited by GoHighVoltage; Thu 6th Jan '11, 9:57pm.

Comment

hmmmz so mcafee rated your site red just because your personal website discusses malware oh well i thought mcafee whas a trustworthy security company but the more i read about it .... they are loosing my trust 2 of my mcafee security center subscriptions are about to expire this has done it i'm leaving mcafee and go to Symantec or Panda for my antivirus needs.
                            I wouldn't trust mcafee either, look what they did to millions of computers due to a faulty update.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ith_bad_update

Comment

Godaddy is good for domains, etc. I had their shared hosting, then I "upgraded" to their shared GRID hosting. AWFUL all the way around:

I started out with their shared hosting. For the most part, it was sufficient for what I needed. A couple years ago, I had several domains on the hosting, and created a directory, and forum. My first issue was that my websites were getting "BLOCKED" by spam filters, or corporate
                              surf control. I called Godaddy to complain, and talked to several tech people and even supervisors. They all downplayed it and said it must be something on my website that is causing it. I had nothing wrong with my website. So I did some checking. Here the "shared" server (Ip address) they had me on was with about 1200 other websites. Most of these Websites were virus sharing, high risk sites!!!!!! All through Godaddy. So the way I was able to resolve the issue was getting a Ssl certificate, which I didn't need, but the Ssl certificate was $30 a year and came with a dedicated Ip address. This was cheaper then $3.00 a month for a dedicated Ip. Once I got my dedicated Ip, I had no more surf control or blockage issues. When I confronted Godaddy with a list of known High Risk sites that they host, they acted like they weren't aware of it.

Then:
                              I called Godaddy a year ago to ask about performance issues. Network was slow. The tech support guy I was talking to talked me into "upgrading" to their New Grid Hosting. It was still a shared hosting, but was on a "Grid" of servers and would be much faster, more reliable and better.

I switched to the Grid hosting. Had to move all my sites, directory over the the "new" grid hosting server. What he didn't tell you is that Grid hosting has a whole list of things and scripts that are not compatible. Luckily none were any I used. Speed = No Difference. It was not any faster at all.

After I moved my entire directory over, I found my "directory forum" didn't work any more. I called Godaddy tech support. I spent literally 20 hours combined time on the phone, and about 2 weeks time until I gave up. The directory didn't work any more. Godaddy blamed it on the script and said it was the script's fault. I contacted the scripts developer and he said there was nothing wrong and that it was on Godaddy's server that was causing the issue. I fought and fought with Godaddy and never got past them blaming it on the script, even though I copied it back over to the shared hosting and it worked, and they saw that!!!

I ended up getting another directory script that would work. 3 months later, I turn on the original directory script, and low and behold it worked!! The developer said that Godaddy had problems with the Php setup, which they denied, but they must of found it and fixed it later on. Aghhhh!

And from time to time, weird things would happen. Like files being deleted, or added to my directory? Even folders showing up that were obviously from someone Else's hosting.
                              This is my post about Godaddy. Read the reason my domain was flagged and how I fixed it.

Comment

Ok I have not read this thread from end to end so if I missed something sorry. Anyway I always have a good chuckle over this over selling thing and people trying to move you away from places like Hostgator. Now I have been with them for years and I have only had great experiences with then to date. So you are starting or have a small forum and evryone expects you to jump in and take a dedicated server package or something equally as expensive. My forums are a hobby of mine and if I had to fork out that type of money for hosting well I would just plain not be able to afford it all. The members on my forums love it as they also come to the forum for support or just to chat about what ever the forum is about. So I don't have to beg them for donations and sit around wondering if I can pay the bills for my hosting each month.

The bottom line is people like us need these over sellers as they fulfil our needs and HostGator does that far beyond my expectations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X