Hostgator Opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scylla22 View Post
    That's quite enough of bashing a hosting company that really isn't that bad of a host. There is nothing wrong with hostgator & they do have some nice shared & vps packages.
    You are luckier than most then as I have had nothing but problems with them since the beginning. I finally moved to another hosting company and no more problems.
    vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Just look out for these two things and you'll do just fine

The two things to look out for on shared hosting is
      *High cpu load
      *High Memory Usage

if one of those rises to over 15 percent at any time, then its time to upgrade. (I believe you recieve a warning if either of those reach 25 percent for 90+ seconds)

Comment

Hostgator is a very known overseller..

http://www.simplemachines.org/commun...topic=117303.0

Comment

Maybe they do, but the service and the price is very good, I'm using about 1.3 gb of storage atm and really from that example provided in the link.... Why in hell someone would be uploading 40GB to a shared hosting is well is beyond me... they should know far better than that.

Comment

Maybe they do, but the service and the price is very good, I'm using about 1.3 gb of storage atm and really from that example provided in the link.... Why in hell someone would be uploading 40GB to a shared hosting is well is beyond me... they should know far better than that.
            And how many concurrent users do you have online?
            vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

Comment

anywhere from 15-40 guests + a handful of bots at a time

Comment

anywhere from 15-40 guests + a handful of bots at a time
                If you are on a shared account, the max db connections is 25, so of you get many more users and you will start to have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo View Post
                  If you are on a shared account, the max db connections is 25, so of you get many more users and you will start to have problems.
                  Exactly. OP, let me get this straight, you shell out $100's for a VB license but you want to go with the crappiest shared hosting you can find? Thats like buying a nice Porsche and refusing to put gas in it...

idk, I was turned off of shared hosting a long time ago and I prefer having my own VPS now. If you look around you can find them for around the same price as shared.

Comment

I moved to HostGator from Site5 about three years ago. I'm on a shared plan and have been able to run a small second PHP site in addition to the vB forum. Put me down as a satisfied customer.

Comment

Not true, at one point & time for 2 month's there were 70-100 people online at a time, the forum peaked at about 150 registrations a day & 200-300 new posts per day as well. No noticable lag or complaints from hostgator.

Do a little bit more research on this and you'll discover neat stuff like this.

Originally posted by http://forums.hostgator.com/showpost.php?p=16229&postcount=8
                      This is only active connections, once a connection is used it should close right away. Which means unless all 25 users have a open connection, you can have 100's of people on the forum. As long as 30 or so people do not click the same exact link, at the same exact time, there would not be a problem.

You get the max_connections error when 25+ connections are sitting idle and not used.
                      Originally posted by Boofo View Post

Comment

Not true, at one point & time for 2 month's there were 70-100 people online at a time, the forum peaked at about 150 registrations a day & 200-300 new posts per day as well. No noticable lag or complaints from hostgator.
                        I can confirm.

Once we started getting 80 people all trying to read the same thread at the same time there were connection problems. Otherwise it was working decent & fast for under 100 people online at the same time. But we have an almost stock vb3.8.4 install, no resource intensive add on products.

But my earlier comments in this thread still apply.

Comment

I had plenty of issues at times with HG, 10-15 people online, and try twitter some threadsa with links and watch the DB errors roll in

Comment

Hostgator oversells, so if you want oversold servers, overloaded servers, that it's for you!

Comment

I host three websites with HostGator and have nothing but good to say about them. I moved everything there 2 years after being with Verio for 12 years. One of my sites does between 300 and 400 GB a month. Download speeds are 4x faster than Verio and 1/3 the price. I've tried VPN hosting at both Verio and HostGator and find shared hosting meets all of my needs.

Comment

So far they have been great. Would definitely recommend.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X