Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Reliable VPS Host

Dear All,

We run an active vbulletin community (with static Zen Cart and WP on same domain) which has about 40,000 posts, 500 Members and monthly visitors are 20,000, and these figures are only bound to increase with the time. Currently, the forum is on a shared host since a year but after having a frequent downtime with them, We're planning to move on. Earlier, I was considering to switch onto another shared host but after looking into my requirement, a few members from WHT pointed me towards VPS Hosting. However, with my tight budget of $200 Annually, I'm afraid that choices are limited. The one which I'm finding interesting is the VPSLatch, but since they are new to the market, I'm still unsure about their reliability etc. I'd highly appreciate if some experts from vBulletin Team can show me the right direction. Also, other members are welcome as well to share their experience with other hosts which are recommending to me and VPSLatch (If any).

Thanks.

Im currently at ThrustVps (http://thrustvps.com) Really good; I've been with them for a month only 1 1/2 hours of downtime. Prices are incredible and support is fast for the price (Usually get a reply within 25 minutes) Overall i'd rate them a 9.5/10. Really happy with them.

Comment

I have a dedicated server with www.elhost.net
      I never had any problem with them.
      And they have a great support. Via tickets, emails, chat or MSN.

And now the have a promotion. VPS at 50% of discount.

Comment

Thanks. Anymore options available? I'm unable to find much.

Comment

Can you manage your own server?? If so, jump on Linode. I am running 2 512mb slices (one for apache and one for the mysql database), and with 50+ people online and 600k+ posts, we are not even close to working the slices. I think we could get 3-4 times tht amount of traffic that I currently have and still be able to use our current setup. And if I ever get to the point of out growing what I have, it is a super simple upgrade to a more capable slice.

Russ

Comment

Hi wrx1, Thanks for the response. But unfortunately, I ain't a techie and would be requiring a managed VPS. I've stumbled upon to VPSLatch, they're currently offering fantastic deals and according to reviews posted in WHT, seems to be reliable too but there's something which is making me think twice. Maybe because they entered into business just a few months back?

Cheers.

Comment

linode.com

Comment

Reliability, and solid VPS hosting - I would recommend www.urljet.com - they may seem pricey but you get what you pay for in terms of service and support. I been with urljet nearly a year, never had any downtime, support is on hand 24/7/365 should you need it. Free upgrades included, if you're not techie minded - then you have the additional dedicated vBulletin support, plus hourly backups.

You could ask about their shared hosting, since they optimize their servers for running vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Vibhor View Post
                  Hi wrx1, Thanks for the response. But unfortunately, I ain't a techie and would be requiring a managed VPS. I've stumbled upon to VPSLatch, they're currently offering fantastic deals and according to reviews posted in WHT, seems to be reliable too but there's something which is making me think twice. Maybe because they entered into business just a few months back?

Cheers.
                  The review for VPSLatch here seems favorable. I might look into this myself.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=960517
                  vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    linode.com
                    Thanks Floris but like answered above, I ain't a tech. guy, So need an affordable managed VPS.

Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post
                    Reliability, and solid VPS hosting - I would recommend www.urljet.com - they may seem pricey but you get what you pay for in terms of service and support. I been with urljet nearly a year, never had any downtime, support is on hand 24/7/365 should you need it. Free upgrades included, if you're not techie minded - then you have the additional dedicated vBulletin support, plus hourly backups.

You could ask about their shared hosting, since they optimize their servers for running vBulletin.
                    Thanks, I already checked out URLJet but unfortunately they are too pricey for me.

Originally posted by Boofo View Post
                    The review for VPSLatch here seems favorable. I might look into this myself.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=960517
                    Yes..and I'm just wondering, shall I go ahead with them?

Cheers.

Comment

Yes..and I'm just wondering, shall I go ahead with them?

Cheers.
                      Well, let's put it this way... I chatted with Adam last night and will be going with them on the first of the month. I went with the M2048 setup.

Also, you have to remember that all of the other hosting companies were new and uncharted territory at one time, too.
                      vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Comment

Originally posted by Boofo View Post
                        Well, let's put it this way... I chatted with Adam last night and will be going with them on the first of the month. I went with the M2048 setup.

Also, you have to remember that all of the other hosting companies were new and uncharted territory at one time, too.
                        Well Boofo, you do have a point. I'm also considering to go with them (M512). Also, have a look at this complete discussion on WHT incase you missed it: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=962804

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post

Thanks, I already checked out URLJet but unfortunately they are too pricey for me.
                          They have (or had) an unadvertised $14.95 /mo plan if you are able to install and maintain your own forums, it's shared hosting but you can have a fairly large board on their shared plans, they are that good.

Comment

Hello All,

If I shift from a Shared to VPS hosting, Do I need to change some settings from vBulletin end? Because have heard some people fiddling with their config.php files etc. after moving servers. Please suggest. Thanks!

PS: Finalizing to go with VPSLatch, Though another hosting which interests me is HostV, Any 50% kinda discount coupons available for them?

Cheers.

Comment

I would check reviews of any host you are considering at webhostingtalk
                              -- Web Developer for hire
                              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X