Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving forum hosting from Godaddy - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the price structures I quoted were from articles dated 2009 and 2010. Now since I am not in the business I can’t verify their validity, but it was pooled from 3 or 4 different articles so I’d be surprised if all 4 were wrong. But if you have links to something that shows OC-3 at $10,000 to $15 a month, I’d love to learn about it. Not that I’m going to go out and sign any contracts for OC-3, but this is all new to me and I am trying to learn

Suffice it to say it could conceivably cost $1 million minimum to set up a basic data center and about $50,000 a month to keep the lights on. I’m sure most of these people who build these data centers are interested in recovering their investments in the form of profits. And colocated or not, all prices will somehow be passed on the consumer. The more I read about what a data center costs to construct and maintain though, I think $75 a month for a dedicated server is an absolute bargain.

From reading through markwein’s last post, it seems he is more concerned about good service than he is about the cost of obtaining it. I’m probably similar in nature; I’ve always said the lowest price is not always the cheapest.

Comment

Originally posted by markwein View Post
      I'm paying $75 a month for this:

1 IP Address IPv4
      1 TB bandwidth
      X7SPA H Motherboard
      Intel Atom D510 DC w/ HT processor
      2 GB (X7SPA) ram
      10 Mbit Connection network
      250 GB SATA hdd
      CentOS 5.x 32-bit os
      I think that's fair enough ! How about the performance?

Comment

I have used Godaddy and I'm currently moving to Globalhost so they have been great.
        iRock Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by WebKing27 View Post
          I think that's fair enough ! How about the performance?
          The performance has been good for my site, although some folks have told me that the processor is really underpowered. We have 30-60 users online at any one time, about 1000-1400 visitors a day and no problems.

A note on Cirtex, I had 4 other small sites there that I hadn't yet migrated onto my new server and apparently their server was hacked and all of my sites (one wordpress, one Joomla, a video hosting script supplied by Cirtex and a Zencart that I hadn't yet set up)replaced with a page boasting that I had "been hacked by Black Jaguar". Cirtex support suddenly became unavailable to help when I tried to get a hold of someone and their chat support became unresponsive when I tried to let them know just telling me to submit a ticket. Since they didn't seem to be too worried about server security I'm no longer a customer. No big deal for me.
          MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X