Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving forum hosting from Godaddy - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving forum hosting from Godaddy - any suggestions?

I've been reading through threads here and can't really make up my mind on where to go. Besides Godaddy I also have hosting with Cirtex for a video site but I'm afraid it won't go well for my forum. For every "try xxxxx hosting" comment I see another "xxxxx hosting sucks" so I was wondering if you guys could suggest what you are using and a bit about your experiences.

Thanks in advance

MWGLforums.com - Free Video Guitar Lessons and more!

Hey Mark,

Honestly, it all comes down to budget. Exactly what you stated is why its hard to get a reliable host. There are some that stand above the rest, but you are going to pay for them. There are so many ripoff's who are trying to resell reseller hosting, have purchased one or two servers and have them co-located selling hosting in an attempt to start their own hosting company, usually with little to no idea or experience in a hosting company, and lots more. My own personal list is extremely small due to your own above comments, though I could add one or two more to it, but still very small.

Budget, budget, budget. What is your budget? That defines your hosting recommendations to be perfectly honest. Its useless recommending someone who starts at $50 a month if you only have $100 a year to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
      Hey Mark,

Honestly, it all comes down to budget. Exactly what you stated is why its hard to get a reliable host. There are some that stand above the rest, but you are going to pay for them. There are so many ripoff's who are trying to resell reseller hosting, have purchased one or two servers and have them co-located selling hosting in an attempt to start their own hosting company, usually with little to no idea or experience in a hosting company, and lots more. My own personal list is extremely small due to your own above comments, though I could add one or two more to it, but still very small.

Budget, budget, budget. What is your budget? That defines your hosting recommendations to be perfectly honest. Its useless recommending someone who starts at $50 a month if you only have $100 a year to spend.

Thanks!

I'd like to try and keep it under $200 a year if possible although its looking like $300 might really be what I'll end up spending. you can see at www.MWGLforums.com what things are like content and load wise...get 400-600 unique visitors a day (of those about 100-150 registered users and about 250 regularly "active" in a given month) so its not a huge site but it is very important to my business and I need reliability. I also play guitar for a living and I'm not a "web pro" so administering my own server is not really in the cards even though I've done everything else so far.

Comment

$200 / year should get you some decent shared hosting which should work just fine for you.

It is pretty easy to sign up for a re-selling account and 'create' a hosting company and not have access to the actual computers, sometimes I get the impression that some 'companies' are a single person working out of their house.

Here is a thread I started asking what hosting companies actually have their own datacenters/servers http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=921287

You may want to specify if phone support is important to you.

I've hand both godaddy & hostgator shared hosting. Host gator is slightly better, but not great, in my humble opinion. We now have a nice vps provider, but that is beyond your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
          $200 / year should get you some decent shared hosting which should work just fine for you.

It is pretty easy to sign up for a re-selling account and 'create' a hosting company and not have access to the actual computers, sometimes I get the impression that some 'companies' are a single person working out of their house.

Here is a thread I started asking what hosting companies actually have their own datacenters/servers http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=921287

You may want to specify if phone support is important to you.

I've hand both godaddy & hostgator shared hosting. Host gator is slightly better, but not great, in my humble opinion. We now have a nice vps provider, but that is beyond your needs.

Phone support is a BIG deal for me. I've had a month of Cirtex with no phone support and I'm not digging it. At all. At least on Godaddy I could get someone on the phone when I needed it.....

Comment

vps.net has entry level for $20 per month on cloud, so you can scale your performance and price as required. If you know what your doing, then Linode is about the cheapest, reliable VPS provider, but completely unmanaged, so you must know how to set things up yourself. Both of those would fit within your budget at entry levels.

Comment

Originally posted by markwein View Post
              Phone support is a BIG deal for me. I've had a month of Cirtex with no phone support and I'm not digging it. At all. At least on Godaddy I could get someone on the phone when I needed it.....
              I try to keep a list of what hosting might be of interest in the future. Most on my list are vps providers because we have out grown shared. But these are on my list that you may want to check out, I am not affiliated with them, nor have used them. I have seen reports from people I respect that do use them and are quite happy: http://www.ubiquityhosting.com/customer-care/

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
                I try to keep a list of what hosting might be of interest in the future. Most on my list are vps providers because we have out grown shared. But these are on my list that you may want to check out, I am not affiliated with them, nor have used them. I have seen reports from people I respect that do use them and are quite happy: http://www.ubiquityhosting.com/customer-care/
                I actually got a dedicated server from www.serverbeach.com - it's worked out great although it's quite a bit more expensive.

Originally posted by jamescarter199
                hi markwein,

did you get your hosting from godaddy? im going to but it says they support php4 and php5 on their website. so?

and im using windows 7. is that all right? the say "UNIX, as well as Windows™ 98/NT/2000/XP, and the Mac" on their website.

please let me know
                gr8 forum! I've seen it.
                Thanks!

Godaddy will run vBulletin in the shared hosting but it you get any kind of traffic or if your database gets too large its not a great place to be. After my experience (I've been a customer of Godaddy for 6 years and had vBulletin running there for two years) I'd recommend looking around at other providers.

Comment

I see you said you got hosting already setup, but I thought I would drop a note for other people that found this thread. After upgrading to VB4 we had horrible issues with GoDaddy. We had a rather large database, and about 100-150 active daily users, and around 500 posts per day. GoDaddy was horribly slow and caused issues. After searching, and reading here, I found www.urljet.com, and we moved our database and hosting to them. Currently $25/month, and cheaper if you pay in advance, it has paid off. Zero slow downs, and fairly quick support when calling in or emailing.

I did the majority of the move, getting all the files and database uploaded to the new host within about 4 hours, and then used them to import the database, which they responded in about 6 hours from when I paid the service.

Just putting it out there for others.

Comment

Another bad vote for GoDaddy.

It seems like sale is what some providers are focusing on, but they forget the core thing - SUPPORT. The most important part they need to pay attention to.

You said it is expensive. What are the specs and how much are you paying for the server at serverbeach?

Comment

Originally posted by WebKing27 View Post
                      Another bad vote for GoDaddy.

It seems like sale is what some providers are focusing on, but they forget the core thing - SUPPORT. The most important part they need to pay attention to.

You said it is expensive. What are the specs and how much are you paying for the server at serverbeach?

I'm paying $75 a month for this:

1 IP Address IPv4
                      1 TB bandwidth
                      X7SPA H Motherboard
                      Intel Atom D510 DC w/ HT processor
                      2 GB (X7SPA) ram
                      10 Mbit Connection network
                      250 GB SATA hdd
                      CentOS 5.x 32-bit os

I'm sure there are better deals out there but I have none of the problems I had with Godaddy or my attempt to move to Cirtex (they are much worse than Godaddy IMO). At the moment my Google advertising is about what I'm spending on the server every month so I'm breaking even which is fine since it's actually supposed to be paid for out of the marketing budget of my brick and mortar business...I'm ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned and my users are all much happier. Probably not the answer for a lot of folks since I got a box with no cPanel or anything like that but it's fitting my needs.

Comment

That's way overpriced. no offense but an atom costs less than $500 to build and uses no power at all.

Comment

As long as it is breaking even, I can see you will be the happiest person ! But I do agree with Ryan... you can still save with that config.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan1918 View Post
                            That's way overpriced. no offense but an atom costs less than $500 to build and uses no power at all.
                            Ryan1918 – I’ve seen a few other posts scattered through other threads and you keep telling everyone they paying too much, so I’m curious as to learn a little about these servers you can build and your thoughts on what type of pricing you would offer if you did try to sell VPS services.

I’ve done a little research on buying a server or ‘leasing’ a either VPS or a dedicated server. Now, if I already had a business that had been successful and in operation for 5 to 10 years, I might have the confidence to blow $4,000 on a server, which from what I have priced, would be adequate for my needs.

However, getting the information out the doors presents a problem. If I were using my server for an intranet, it would not be a problem, but my site will be global. I’ve looked at T-! transmission speeds and they would be not adequate, especially long term. But even T-1 costs about $1,000 a month. It would probably cost me $5,000 a month to get upload speeds decent enough to run my own server.

It is my understanding most of these data centers that house the servers for shared, VPS, or dedicated server hosting are running OC-3 which costs $35,000 to $40,000 a month. I won’t even go into costs for buildings, AC, electricity, yada, yada, but that $75 markwein is paying for a dedicated server is starting to look pretty good right now.

Anyway, it seems you have a good handle on what it takes to build a server pretty cheap, so I’m hoping you can offer some insight into how you would lower the cost most of these hosting companies charge. They do, after all, have considerable overhead.

Comment

Well, it depends what exactly your trying to do, and no your not going to want to build a data center, your going to spend a half million on a crappy data center, including the building, setup, fiber optics, and generators, fire protection, racks, and not even including the servers itself, when you do that except at least a million dollars to get that going, now 90% of companies do not have there own data center, nor plan to build one, they co-locate, or lease/rent servers, which is much cheaper, no overhead costs, no upfront costs, no hardware costs(unless your co-locating, which will save you money but not up front) the only way I tell people colocation will save them money is if one, they have at least 20+ servers(normally double that to profit a lot),and once you buy the hardware, pay for the space, power, and bandwidth, you will be just saving a few bucks, not even much at all, and it takes just about everyone almost a year to start profiting to, pay off there server, unless they are getting top dollar for there servers, which most people aren't.

Now if your a small company, even with a few hundred servers, almost all the time, it's profitable, and cheap to just lease/rent servers, because you only pay to lease it, and it's always a bundle, the server, the bandwidth, and you don't have to pay for space, or power, so it can be cheaper at almost all times. You can get a low end server for $50 a month(atom processors), and you can pay up to a few hundred dollars to rent high end servers(Xeon's, I7's, etc), but even the fastest, top end servers, aren't more than $500 a month, unless you are running massive amounts of ram or anything crazy, bandwidth is very cheap now days, you can get unmetered 100mbit, and even unmetered 1000mbit included with just about any kind of server now days.

Now you were talking about connections and fiber optics, you were stating costs and such, which aren't very correct, them prices are like 3-5 years ago, they are nothing like that anymore, now you were saying a T1 which is roughly 1.5mb/s which is very slow, you can get a connection from my isp, charter which I have, and I get 20mbit/s down and 5mbit/s up for $30 a month, it's not a full dedicated line, but I can push that speed 24/7 even if it's a shared connection, but even at that, I wouldn except to pay 33% of what you said for a dedicated T1 now days, OC3's would cost about the same as I stated, 33%-50% max, if your paying more, your getting ripped off, or you have a bad carrier.

Now if you were talking about a server, I can get a high end server for very good prices, and I could sell them for less than $200 a month, I can beat most companies, because they have so many things added in, they are paying there tech's $60-120 an hour, power, profit, and other things, which they figure in there costs, I run the company myself, so I don't have no high priced employee's I'm currently paying, maybe if down the road I did add them, my servers could be a tad more expensive but, I'm not trying to get rich off someone, just trying to make a living, them other companies are, I can take care of small customers, to large customers that need 5-10 servers for there one site alone, nothing is too small or to big for my company, and that has been my number one rule, and just because I'm small doesn't make it bad, I can do anything a million dollar company can do, and just as good, and nothing would be different, except the price your paying.

I just don't think it's right for companies to charge $100-140 for a vps server when the customer could get a dedicated server for a similar or the same price, but with companies making business with like that, makes them never go away, so until people learn more and see what kinda things are out there, and prices, they will keep getting ripped off, or I guess "overcharged" if people don't agree, that's what they can do.

I hope I've answered some of your questions, I just trying to get you to understand some things, I may have been incorrect on some things as I haven't re-read everything I typed and it's late, but enjoy.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X