RAID card failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID card failure

Anyone has any experiences with this? I keep on reading that unlike software RAID, we can't just plug in a new RAID card if the original one fails. Who's going to have an identical RAID from the same company with same firmware after say 5 years? What do people usually do when the RAID controller dies?

People usually replace it. Why do you assume it needs to be the exact same model with the exact same firmware? A newer card model from the same company should work, as long as it supports the selected raid mode.
    Oppressed.

Comment

Read from a few sites that there's a requirement of using the same controller card with the same firmware in order to recover data from the disks. For example...
      Originally posted by From Wikipedia
      "this allows RAID disks to be moved from one computer to a computer with an operating system or file system of the same type, which can be more difficult when using hardware RAID ...... If the hardware controller 'dies' before the disks do, data may become unrecoverable unless a hardware controller of the same type is obtained, unlike with firmware-based or software-based RAID"
      Following is from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...r-failure.html
      As long as you are using the same model controller and [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]driver[/COLOR][/COLOR] revision,
      there shouldn't be a problem.
      Not a good option, this is our only 'G2' box. All the rest are 'G3' or
      'G4'. If I were to put these three drives in a different server, how would
      I tell the replacement server that those three disks are an array?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X