No announcement yet.

Clustered servers or individual roles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clustered servers or individual roles?

It is time to upgrade our servers.
    What I would like to know is the communities opinion on whether the servers I pick are configured Clustered together or in a DB/Web Server setup.

We are on 3.x now and due to some custom integration with a drupal site I don't think we'll be upgrading to 4.x soon even though we have the licensing for it.

Currently we have a single server with Dual Xeon 2.66ghz and 3 Gigs RAM.
    We are thinking of going to 2 servers with single i7 Processors and 4 Gigs RAM.

Lots of variables I left out regarding our system but this thread is for a discussion on the differences, good or bad, between the two configurations.

might want to head on over to server config forum http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-Configuration post info asked at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...sts-19-03-2010 which will allow folks such as myself to see what your existing forum and server loads are like and to better recommend what type of server you should get.

As to your question depends what Xeon 2.66ghz those are different models use different architectures, but pretty much only xeons capble of better single i7 processors would be xeon 54xx at clock speeds much higher than single core i7, or xeon 55xx and xeon 56xx processors at just below or faster than core i7 clock speed. See http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160103

Without the asked info can only guestimate what to recommend. If you want single quad core processor, check out Xeon W3550 3.0ghz quad core nehalem based processors easily clock for clock 7+ times faster than Xeon 53xx series and 2x times faster than Xeon 54xx series. Very capable processors and I definitely recommend them.

For a client of mine, i setup 2x single Xeon W3550 3.0ghz servers with 6GB ram and 146K SAS15K rpm raid 1 as load balanced web servers with 2 memcached server instances connected to dual xeon e5520 12gb ram 6x15k sas raid 10 db server for 200,000+ visitors/day or ~8-10k vB users online handling ~800+ mysql queries/s.

At the start, due to time constraints from moving off old web host, just moved entire site/forums to be served from just the single Xeon W3550 3.0ghz server temporarily and it handled it all like a champ although cpu loads were a bit higher at 6-8 over 15min interval (normal cpu loads for quad core + HT enabled = 8 core server).

Once offloaded the db end to dedicated mysql server and just one web server load was 1.5-3.0 for web and 2-4 for db end. Then once 2nd web server took some of the share of web end, each web server was around 0.75 to 1.50 over 15min interval and db end ranged from 1.5 to 3.5 over 15min interval (nasty drupal related query load). Memcached servers for vB forum datastore cache + drupal memcached were saving around 300 hits/sec.

Web servers had apache replaced with Litespeed web server enterprise though which helped alot - www.litespeedtech.com

Wiredtree.com has such configs on offer, or you can search webhostingtalk.com for other offers for similar specs.

Or a cheaper processor than Xeon W3550 3.06ghz would be Xeon W3520 2.66ghz or Core i7 920 2.66ghz ( Core i7 920 is desktop exact equivalent of Xeon W3520 while Core i7 950 3.06ghz is desktop exact equivalent for Xeon W3550 3.06ghz )
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Your one serious ball off knowledge George... nice read.

Comment

Thanks... i just love my hardware tech
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

That was a lot of information to digest. Thanks for that.

The only reason I put the thread here was because I haven't picked a host yet for the new servers.
          I was hoping for guidance in the clustered server vs roles based because some hosts seem more proficient doing one or the other. By learning what model is best for vB would guide me in my next course of selecting a new host.

For instance, my current host, Lunar Pages, doesn't make me feel very confident they will be the best choice if I go with a cluster of dedicated servers (only two). Also, if I stay with them in a roles based configuration, I don't gain any bandwidth since all the data will flow through the webserver. So I pay for 4TB and get 2. I am already near 1.2 TB usage now so I will need the extra eventually. Their charges after 2TB is pretty steep.

Sounds like I've talked myself out of LP already unless they offer to combine the BW but since I am still in the beginning of this process, no one is off the list just yet.

I'll keep looking around for information.
          Thank you.

Comment

Argh... Lunarpages. The planet is pretty much the largest direct provider in the world... why not just colocate with them yourself?

http://www.theplanet.com/colocation/

There are literally only a few actual backbone providers, ThePlanet being one. ServInt is second to RackSpace themselves, and all their servers are located within ThePlanet.

Comment

Wiredtree.com has such configs on offer, or you can search webhostingtalk.com for other offers for similar specs.
              I went there and didn't find any dedicated packages. Wondering what's the cheapest package I can find for one of these i3,5,7 servers.

Comment

Still hard to find them around, as many server companies don't upgrade specs often. Only a handful offer them, along with SSD... very hard to also find.

Comment

Originally posted by parafieldtower View Post
                  I went there and didn't find any dedicated packages. Wondering what's the cheapest package I can find for one of these i3,5,7 servers.
                  click the managed server list and there's links to various options

Comment

Thanks EVA2000. Found the link and did some pricing. It appears they're a bit more expensive than iWeb.

Comment

As George stated earlier in this... don't use their listed guide, but contact them and throw comparisons their way, and you may get a better deal from them with higher specs.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X