Shared Hosting, VPS or Dedicated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared Hosting, VPS or Dedicated

I'm debating if I want to (or need to) move my hosting to another company. At the moment our stats look something like this:

Threads: 25,958, Posts: 368,263, Members: 18,150, Active Members: 5,513

We average around:
    60 new sign ups a day; and
    500 new post a day.

Our database is currently just under 1GB however we are pushing in excess of 80GB of traffic a month (and we don't host images/attachments so it's a lot of data).

The choices are between shared hosting, VPS and dedicated. Reality is that dedicated is just two expensive for us at the moment, but it's there so I cover all bases. VPS is a strong possibility, shared is where we are now.

What I don't know is where the break point is, how big does a forum need to be before shared hosting just wont cut it anymore? There is obviously a difference between a *good* provider and a poor provider, but lets assume all providers are reasonable for this discussion.

So at what point does it make sense to step up to a VPS service?
    At what point does it make sense to move to a 100% dedicated server?

Further, assuming a move to VPS, what sort of specs should be considered? Most of the providers I have been looking at cover available RAM, Storage and bandwidth. I understand the storage and the bandwidth requirements, but when it comes to RAM how much is needed/recommended? Dedicated vs burst-able?

Is there anything else I'm missing or should be considering?

My take on having a community powered by shared hosting; and why I recommend at least VPS; http://mrfloris.com/blogs/why-shared...pgrade-to-vps/

Comment

There is no reason to upgrade to a VPS unless your forums are consuming too many resources of a shared hosting account, and your web host requests that you have exhausted the limits of a shared hosting account and it's time for an upgrade

Is there a specific reason why you think you need to upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated? A vps has extremely limited resources, unless you pay more for them, and you could limit the performance of your forums quite a bit.
      ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
      ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
      ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
      ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

Thats a lot of juice on a shared account. I was in a similar position with my board. near 400k in posts in just 16months 25-80 users online and I was really experiencing some poor preformance. Slowly db errors became more and more common, the site became slower an slower. I up graded to a VPS server and man the place was fast as lightening. With no attachments moving the place should be a piece of cake. Do your research you can find some very affordable VPS accounts maybe even equal to what your paying now..

With a database of that size your just asking for trouble with shared hosting..
        Ball Python Forum l Cottonmouth Snake l Reptile Husbandry

Comment

i recommend using a VPS with with least 512 RAM, that would be great
          Last edited by funmasti; Tue 6 Apr '10, 12:00am. Reason: spelling mistake
          Mastiya

Comment

Considering your current stats, I would recommend a good VPS - with 1GB ram or so. A low end VPS would be worse than a shared hosting, you need something good.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

Just another source for you

Sharepointforme has a lot of information about this and other useful facts about hosting on their site.

Comment

For a forum of your size, I'd strongly recommend VPS hosting. The ranges for Shared, VPS and Dedicated hostings usually are:

Shared Hosting: 50 - 2,000 Members, 10,000 - 200,000 Posts
                VPS Hosting: 2,000 - 10,000 Members, 200,000 - 1,000,000 Posts
                Dedicated Hosting: > 10,000 Members, > 1,000,000 Posts

Comment

If you want just cheap hosting then you go to the likes of Hostgator, Hostmonster, etc. However, if need serious hosting and dedicated vBulletin support then there is only one choice - www.urljet.com Maybe the prices may frighten you, then again check the specifications and what they give you in return... yes, vBulletin is supported in many ways, from installs, upgrades, styles and modifications all taken care of, and your data is backed up hourly. Give them a call, if you are not sure - they will give you exactly what you need.

Comment

This site provide Best web hosting plans at cheap cost and they are very much good in providing services. Thanks for sharing with us keep posting.

vps australia

Comment

Originally posted by Hall of Famer View Post
                      For a forum of your size, I'd strongly recommend VPS hosting. The ranges for Shared, VPS and Dedicated hostings usually are:

I think it really relies on how many concurrent you might have.

Comment

I would agree that a VPS is what you may need.
                        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                        vBulletin Hosting and Services
                        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

I think hosting type depending on your forum activities. I think VPS is suitable for you.

Comment

And you find that concurrent users is a more important yardstick.
                            Greg
                            www.urljet.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X