Server - Buy or Register?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server - Buy or Register?

I need a server for an online shop + vbulletin forum, we are hoping for a lot of traffic and many sales.

we are just not certain whether it would be best to buy our own server and set it up at the office, or whether it's better to register a server somewhere?

questions:

1) what do you advice?

2) how much would it cost to buy your own high speed server and run it?

3) how much would it cost to register and pay monthly fees for a good and stable server that can handle a lot of traffic?
    so what's new?

my server currently views/day about 25-50K views.
    70usd/year
    the best Forum You Ever See. Best style and Best Index www.nusantaraku.org

i need to make a link with you, do u need to make a link with my forum? together we achieve more

Comment

70usd a year? that sounds impossible to me. do you have a link?

the site will be very graphical, especially with the online store grabbing random favorite and topseller products on every page (which will probably end up being some extra queries). plus videos clips being shown on some pages, etc.

suggestions are very appreciated.
      so what's new?

Comment

What does "a lot" of traffic mean in numbers? 70USD per year is not a server, it's a shared host.
        Oppressed.

Comment

that's what i thought. with a lot of traffic i really mean a lot of traffic. kind of far away but let's say 500-1000 users browsing/using the site at all times, posting/making/watching videos etc it's going to be a busy site. atleast that is what we are aiming for. it's hard to predict what's going to happen in the future but atleast that is what we are hoping for.
          so what's new?

Comment

Setting a server up inside an office is a very bad idea if you are serious about your website. You don't have the redundancy a datacenter can offer you in terms of power, cooling and connectivity. Renting a server is a better idea, though you might want to start smaller, with a VPS.
            Oppressed.

Comment

why start smaller? except for to save money?

where should i register a server? where can i get a great package for good prices?

i'd have to say 90% of the browsers/users will be german, i heard somebody say on a webhosting site that german people don't have as good connectivity to canadian servers as canadians do, is that true?
              Last edited by Cosmic Trigger; Sat 27th Feb '10, 1:46pm.
              so what's new?

Comment

i am using share hosting from namecheap.com

70usd/year, i am running 3 domain, 1 of them for vbulletin.
                if i running 1 domain only, its only 39usd/year.

i can upgrade it if i want.

i need to make a link with you, do u need to make a link with my forum? together we achieve more

Comment

i cant go with share hosting, i'm looking for a vps or dedicated server, something serious, stable, great speeds and a lot of bandwith available.
                  so what's new?

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic Trigger View Post
                    i cant go with share hosting, i'm looking for a vps or dedicated server, something serious, stable, great speeds and a lot of bandwith available.
                    try namecheap.com vps
                    39.9 USD monthly (with cpanel)

or hostinginside vps
                    10usd/monthly (with webmin cpanel)

Comment

i'm somewhere between:

http://www.urljet.com/vbulletin-hosting.php

http://www.globalgold.co.uk/dedicate...m_hosting.html

http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php

but i'm not certain about the hosting plans. as they aren't very detailed at all.

does the urljet vb premium with raid10 30gb disk space and 750gb bandwidth compare to globalgold up to 750 simultaneous user or the over 750 simultaneous users? and what package deal do these compare to on realwebhost.net?

furthermore, with 750 simultanious users do they mean registered or do guests count as well? how easy would it be to upgrade from up to 750 simultanious users to over 750 simulanious users?
                      so what's new?

Comment

Few points.

A LOT of people over estimate the traffic. Only once they start the service, they will realise that it is hard to get even a single user to visit. Forums, especially take time to get a reasonalbe traffic. So it makes perfect sense to start with a shared hosting / VPS and move on to something bigger as you grow. Just make sure that you use something like cPanel, which makes it easy to move.

Also, self hosting is not really recommended and your ISP may not allow you to do the same. Upgrading, virus protection etc, could add to your worries. Just use shared hosting/ VPS/Dedicated servers from reputed hosts as per your requirements and upgrade and downgrade as you wish.

BTW, URLJet is a good option if you can afford them.
                        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

I agree with with alemcherry, URLjet would be your best bet. Here's why, okay they may not be cheap compared to other companies but they will leave others behind when it comes to the hardware and software they use. All servers are high-end specs, they do not use slow Apache server software, unless you want a slow website - they use LiteSpeed on all packages - no slow servers or page renders, with hourly backups (Most hosts perform nightly backups, some do not even do that!). They will migrate, install and even upgrade vBulletin free of charge for you, plus they will install modifications if requested. ionCube and PHP accelerators are installed by default, some hosts will charge you $25 or more.

If your website grows from the plan you opt for initially they will upgrade your package for you. If you are unsure which package would suit you, just phone or email them, they will go over your requirements and recommend a package.

Support is 24/7/365 - phone or email, they have dedicated vBulletin support.

Comment

I just noticed urljet is about $21/m paid annually. Hostgator is $10/m by the month or annually, if more than one domain name is required (which we needed).

Urljet seems like a fantastic value to me

However they should state how many domains can be used on their various accounts on their webpage.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X