Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we update/change our dedicated server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we update/change our dedicated server?

We are considering upgrading our dedicated server for www.hometheatershack.com/forums that we have through Liquid Web. We generally like to stay just a little ahead of the game (so to speak) when they offer certain specials. Note also that System 1 appears to be far superior to what we have now and the monthly fee is less.

We currently have the following:

• Current System
    • Processor: 2 x Dual-Core AMD Opteron 2212 Processors
    • Memory: 8GB DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hd1: 160GB SATA
    • Hd2: 160GB SATA
    • RemoteBackup: Guardian Continuous Data Protection (+100GB Storage) (+Guardian MySQL Plugin) (+Guardian CPanel Plugin)
    • ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager (+ServerSecure) (+Fantastico/XController)
    • Monthly Fee: $397 /month

We are somewhat slow at the moment (x-mas):

Server Load Averages 0.83 0.47 0.45 | 1,086 Users Online (63 members and 1,023 guests)

We think we have narrowed it down to two systems:

• System 1
    • Processor: Intel Q9400 QUAD CORE
    • Memory: 8GB DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hd1: Dual 500GB SATA / Hardware Raid 1
    • Hd2: 500GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • RemoteBackup: Guardian Continuous Data Protection (+100GB Storage) (+Guardian MySQL Plugin) (+Guardian CPanel Plugin)
    • ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager (+ServerSecure) (+Fantastico/XController)
    • SetupFee: $350 Setup Fee
    • Monthly Fee: $384 /month

OR

• System 2
    • Processor: Dual Xeon E5504 Quad Core (Gainstown)
    • Memory: 8GB DDR RAM
    • Hd1: 250GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • Hd2: 250GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
    • ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager (+ServerSecure)
    • Bandwidth: 10000GB Monthly Transfer (5000 in + 5000 out)
    • SetupFee: $350 Setup Fee
    • Monthly Fee: $454 /month

I definitely do not see us needing the 500GB Hard Drives in System 1.

I am curious if the Xeon E5504 processor with the 64-bit OS in System 2 will be faster for us than what we have and/or System 1.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by ShackMaster; Sat 26th Dec '09, 6:27pm.
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums

In your currently system, why do you have CentOS 32-bit with 8GB RAM?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Not sure, but I know our memory usage has hit 7GB several times.

Comment

Do not get a 32 bit system, they are old and out dated. go with a 64 bit system, and also go with 16 gig of ram.

Joey
        Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by ShackMaster View Post
          Not sure, but I know our memory usage has hit 7GB several times.
          Isn't that impossible... you have a 32-bit system, the OS can only handle up to 4GB RAM, thus the rest is wasted....
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Not according to this usage report... as if this minute...

Click image for larger version

Name:	memoryusage.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	3677344

Comment

have you tried running fastcgi on there?
              also 32 bit will see and use the 8 gig but not very good, 64 bit would use it alot better.
              Real Web Host

Comment

I have no idea what fastcgi is.

Comment

first i will say you should be using a 64 bit instead of 32 bit.
                  *the person that said 32 bit can only see 4GB is half right if the kernel is recomplied 32bit can use upto 32GB

the sever load stats you posted only tell us what is going on 1 5 and 15 minutes from when taken. And most of your memory is cache your really only using around 1GB of memory according to the screenshot you posted. I am also very worried and puzzled why your machine is using swap at all. If this is how your server normally runs then the server you are currently on is not the problem. I am guessing a bad MYSQL configuration is the problem but again i am guessing. You might be better served by getting two smaller dedicated boxes with 64bit OS and using one for MYSQL alone It will save you money from what you are payin now as you admit you do not need the diskspace and you are not using the memory or processor effecitly.

Also look at your site just checking you main forum page you have a ton of big images you might want to convert those to a slightly lower quality. You also call 4 css files try to combine your CSS. and JS script is a problem with VB but you have more then most try to combine and minify that if you can. You should check out website optimizers softwares and websites to see what type of suggestions they would give you as well.

Best of luck with your server move they are a pain in the arse

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X