Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Busy site needs server expansion: another dedicated server or cloud / hybrid hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy site needs server expansion: another dedicated server or cloud / hybrid hosting?

I run a busy & large site and am currently using a high end dedicated server. 600k unique visitors per month. 6k concurrent users. My site is steadily expanding with a 10-15% traffic increase per month.
    I will need to add a 2nd high end server soon. Alternatively I could add cloud hosting / VPS.

The control of having my own box is appealing to me. Could you please explain what advantages cloud / VPS has over adding another dedicated server?

I have read that there's a slower response time to access a website hosted on cloud versus dedicated server. Is this correct?
    I buy 420 forums

Clouds usually have overhead added due to various virtualization technologies used, not to mention that the whole infrastructure is pretty much a shared environment (disk I/O, bandwidth, CPU) and you're likely to only have RAM being fully dedicated. I'd probably add another server if I were you.
    Oppressed.

Comment

When you say you have a high end server what is the spec? With that sort of traffic I would possibly look at one beast for a DB server and a box or two (load balanced) to server the web requests. Make sure the DB machine has lots of RAM and you may see performance gains.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X