• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by PamelaE View Post
    We actually went with globalgold.co.uk.

They have been fantastic. The easiest move I have ever had, fast loads times. Ok its only been a day but I am impressed so far.
    Almost 15,000 people online at this time, what type of account did you get? Dedicated?

These types of things are good to know.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    We actually went with globalgold.co.uk.

They have been fantastic. The easiest move I have ever had, fast loads times. Ok its only been a day but I am impressed so far.

Leave a comment:

• alemcherry
    replied

Disk usage is 3760.1 GB
    I guess it it 3760.1 MB

You may look for a good VPS @ HostV, it is value for money.

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    Thank you. No I have not done anything yet.

Do you use those guys?
    Yeah, I do. It's fantastic - you have a service that is customizable, and if you need to it's instant upscaling with zero downtime. Plus, customer support = top to the class. 24/7/365 - including stat holidays. I called em on easter, got through instantly, took em five minutes to fix what was wrong. I'm gonna try on christmas just to see what the time is like and to wish em a merry christmas too.

Leave a comment:

• express
    replied
    Hello, it might help if you were to go into vb admin on that board and change it so users have to be registered and logged in before they can view the forum, that would turn away alot of undesirables that you do not want anyways.

Joey

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    Thank you. No I have not done anything yet.

Do you use those guys?

Leave a comment:

• icarusforde
    replied
    Have you purchased that yet? I didnt get in here before, but have you checked out MediaTemple? They have some amazing gridservice stuff - http://mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/
    Might be what you need.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    This is what I have done.

URLjet were my preference but at around $89/month they quoted we can't afford that.

This seemed more in my price range:

VolumeDriveIntel Celeron E1200 (Dual Core)
    2 GB DDR2 800 Memory
    120 GB SATA Hard Drive
    2 IP Addresses
    10 MBPS Unmetered or 100 MBPS / 6,000 GB (3,000 IN and 3,000 OUT)
    Free PLESK 30 Domain License – Windows or Linux

Per/Mo $44.95

But I guess im wary unless I know its going to stay up and not be as traumastic as last time. The thing is prior to all of this it was all handled by my previous host, when he went belly up I am out on my own. I'm trying to learn the ropes.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    I would contact a few hosting companies directly, explain what your stats are, and see what they say.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    Thanks for the advice. I have also posted at webhosting forums and Im totally confused, some say I need a dedicated, some say a VPS, some say these will be slower than a shared.

Maybe I should just resell my vbulletin 4.0 (I guess thats allowed(.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Try your own ISP. If that doesn't work or is too expensive use oxxus.net

Leave a comment:

• IDN
    replied
    Thanks. Thats the problem, you get successful and then it starts to get expensive. We don't make any money from the site so its a difficult one.
    Add paid subscriptions for upgraded features, put google adsense on there. Those are two low profile ways to make money. There's other ways you can, but the fact is.. if you want to have a decently running site you will need to pay up and get the income to support it.

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    replied
    Thanks. Thats the problem, you get successful and then it starts to get expensive. We don't make any money from the site so its a difficult one.

Leave a comment:

• IDN
    replied
    Check out JaguarPC for VPS hosting. Been using them for two years, great support.

I wouldn't recommend shared hosting with your stats.
    Currently Active Users: 13649 (261 members and 13388 guests)
    No wonder it's sluggish!

http://www.jaguarpc.com/vps-hosting/

Leave a comment:

• PamelaE
    started a topic Hosting - advice required

Hosting - advice required

Hi,

I run http://www.soapchat.net and we need to move from our current provider.

We recently moved to a VPS but the experience was not great, it was very sluggish, huge amounts of downtime and then we ended up with a virus injection.

As a result I have moved back to our original server. I have no idea of the spec I am currently on, as it was a friend who hosted us for free but they went under and we stayed with the new hosts but we can't get PHP 5 with them, so I can't use VB 4.0

I can't afford a dedicated server.

We use 88.28 Gig of bandwidth a month

Disk usage is 3760.1 GB

Any advice would be really welcome.

Thanks
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X