which one for my site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which one for my site?

I have about 2000 members 150k posts...usually have about 150-300 members on.

Which one of these is best for me?

Hostrocket corporate shared for $35.99 a month
    Ventures online dedicated package #1 $199.99 a month

I currently use phpwebhosting for $9.99 a month but it cant handle my site.

I dont want to pay a lot so what is the best option for me? Are there any others, other than these two that you can recommend?

Thanks,
    Ray

You have to ask yourself what you want, what you need, and what you can afford.

You are going from a $9.99 /month server to a $35.99/ Month that is a big jump for a sight that changes your annual cost from $119.88 to $431.88. That is a big jump, especially if you are used to paying so little. There are other Forum owners that would consider that pocket change however, and who are paying 600+ per month. Now, the $199.99 from a 9 dollar web host, that is gutsy. That’s a 2399.88 web page per year. Coming from someone who has been paying so little you have to ask yourself if that is what you need, and what you can afford. Take it back to the original question, what do you want, what do you need, and what you can afford.

It sounds like your sight must be growing very fast, or pressing its limits for some time to constitute such a jump, but do you have the finances and the financial backing to make that kind of change to your server host. Look for some way to differentiate the cost, or when the bill comes you are going to be hurting.

Comment

Re: which one for my site?

Originally posted by ray
      I have about 2000 members 150k posts...usually have about 150-300 members on.

Which one of these is best for me?

Hostrocket corporate shared for $35.99 a month
      Ventures online dedicated package #1 $199.99 a month

I currently use phpwebhosting for $9.99 a month but it cant handle my site.

I dont want to pay a lot so what is the best option for me? Are there any others, other than these two that you can recommend?

Thanks,
      Ray
      150 - 300 users at a time... i'd recommend moving to dedicated since hostrocket or any virtual host will ask you to move which that kind of activity.

go for a VO ded 1 server with an upgrade of ram to 512mb...
      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Go Hostrocket Corporate..
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Asendin
          Go Hostrocket Corporate..
          wouldn't ray like some reasons ??
          Email: [email protected]
          Site: Under Construction

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen

wouldn't ray like some reasons ??

http://www.hostrocket.com/products/shared.htm
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

use my friends site, its only $7.95 a month , pm if u are interested

Comment

Well, Ray went with Hostrocket earlier this week and we've been down for over a day now! We finally found out they suspended our account! But they never gave a reason why...

I've never seen so many disgruntled customers! You should read some of the threads from their customers: http://forums.hostrocket.com/forumdi...?s=&forumid=17

Hostrocket is pathetic...in my opinion! And many of their current customers think so too. It's obvious many of Hostrocket's cutomers can't leave fast enough...

Bob

Comment

I'd say go with Ventures Online they are great company with great service thats why im switching to them .

Comment

I just want to state how horrible hostrocket is. They have no support whatsoever. They "suspended" my account..without ANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY prior notice....even after they suspended it they dont notify me to let me know...After 5 emails...none of them which were answered by the way...and a few posts on their forum one of the admins says my account is suspended..I try to ask why...once again no response...my wut a shock this is. So I email every single admins email I could find..This is what I got..FINALLY:

"Your site was getting to much traffic and it was killing the server. I suggest you upgrade to a semi-dedicated plan. Heres the details http://forums.hostrocket.com/showthr...threadid=3670. Please submit a trouble ticket for further responses here http://www.hostrocket.com/support/account.htm"

too much traffic???!?!?! The site gets around 20 gigs 30 AT MOST of traffice a month.

Im not the only one...many many of their customers have problems similar to mine...also with their HORRRRRRRIBLE support. May not be a very nice thing to say...but if only hostrocket was a "local" host somewhere near my area...I would drive down there and seriously get "violent" I am very p*ssed off at the way they "handled" the whole thing.

They are soo horrible where one guy when and got a host and a domain just for this site www.hostrocketsucks.com.

On phpwebhosting..the site was on a PIII 900ish with only 256 megs of ram...and they didnt complain about me "killing" their server.

I think I will go with ventures online.

Ray

Comment

150 - 300 users DOES require a dedicated server i'm afraid.. no virtual host would be able to handle AND make a profit from allowing you to use virtual hosting

I'd suggest you find a dedicated server ... VO's dedicated plan 2 server seems like what you need with a little room to grow
                      :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                      :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

or if a dedicated server is too expensive for you, why not a semi-dedicated server http://www.olm.net/rseDedicated.html
                        // less is more

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X