Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to switch but I'm not sure about my needs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess this is also the obvious one, but anyone having cpu or ram issues, have you gone back through your options and read every setting again? There are so many options that are very server intensive as your forum grows, and you may off enabled them at the beginning, but are they really necessary now you are suffering the consequences for cost?

This would be another suggestion... to recheck every option in the ACP to ensure you have your forum set for best server performance, instead of maybe all the bells and whistles, especially if cost is a factor for your hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Aery View Post

ps.: I also found http://www.mxhub.com/vps-hosting.php that seems to have good stats, anyone has any experience with them?
      I am on their vps , currently.

Before that, i was on their shared hosting plan till my forum grow too big to be hosted on a shared environment.

Been with them for 4 years now.. support is fantastic and very knowledgable. Seriously, very pleased.

Comment

Sorry, just looked at mxhub, and their specs are disgusting for their prices. They no doubt sucker you in at the low $10 per month price, but when you upgrade, you have the same RAM, 128Mb, etc... no CPU details or allocation... not an actual virtual environment at all which is what a VPS is, being it is a self contained environment where you can completely control all aspects of your server. They do not offer this... you couldn't even install a piece of software without dropping your server, if they even allow you to install to begin with. Sorry... waste of space that one and I would not recommend any serious vBulletin owner to host with them. Absolute garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
          Sorry, just looked at mxhub, and their specs are disgusting for their prices. They no doubt sucker you in at the low $10 per month price, but when you upgrade, you have the same RAM, 128Mb, etc... no CPU details or allocation... not an actual virtual environment at all which is what a VPS is, being it is a self contained environment where you can completely control all aspects of your server. They do not offer this... you couldn't even install a piece of software without dropping your server, if they even allow you to install to begin with. Sorry... waste of space that one and I would not recommend any serious vBulletin owner to host with them. Absolute garbage.
          No virtual environment at all?

I have full root access and control over the OS i wanted for my VPS. Used for over a year.

I am speaking from a real customer here. Who the heck are you to judge when you are none other than just a poster here?

I have used vbulletin way earlier than you do since version 2. If VPS works for me, why shouldn't it works for other? Maybe because you are anthonyparsons?

Test it before you put your words .. not just thrash random company for no reason.

Garbage... you better think twice before posting your own self-proclaim 'review'.

NOOB.

Comment

Hi Roly, sorry, but I have been online since 95 developing and marketing websites. A little far from a Noob I think. Over a decade with forums... Only with vBulletin since 05, as I was a PHPBB person before that.

Oh... sorry, it does say root access. My apologies on that. The rest sticks though, sorry. The specs are absolute garbage for the cost. I am not sure if you could some how justify this or you may have some affiliation to this company, not sure, but the specs advertised for the price is absolute rubbish. This actually just gets worse for you, because now I have really spent some time looking at it.

Now feel free here trying to justify this, but I doubt you're going to be able to:

MXHub VPS4

$48.95 per month (unmanaged) for:
            • 36GB hard disk space
            • 750 GB Bandwidth
            • 128MB RAM
            • 6 IP's

Then, a further:
            • $18 for Cpanel / WHM
            • $20 per month for it to be managed (Hello - Managed monthly cost now $68.95 for pathetic specifications)
            • No mention of CPU or server specs for VPS. No doubt, using what was advertised for dedicated solutions, Core2Duo (guessed)

Now... ServInt are one of the more expensive solutions, and they are cheaper than this garbage from MXHub...

ServInt Basic VPS

$49 per month completely managed, 24/7 tech support, phone, ticket, live chat, etc, for:
            • 30GB hard disk space (15K RPM SCSI/SAS)
            • 1TB Bandwidth
            • 768 MB Guaranteed RAM, Burst 1.5 GB (667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM)
            • Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs
            • 4 IP's

Honestly, your getting a little attacking for my liking. To defend a company with that sort of aggression and response, honestly, I could only consider that you have an affiliation with this mxhub... the data just doesn't reflect what your advertisements stand-up against with industry standards. Sorry!

I have nothing for ServInt, only that I use them. I usually look at a persons requirements and send them to a range of hosts that I have tested over the years, so depending upon an individuals requirements and budget, depends on where I send them... but never would I send someone to a host that provides such lacking specifications for the money. I just wouldn't do it to people.

If you want to attack me, please send it via PM and not publicly humiliate yourself.

Comment

Have you consider the marketing gimmick behind those spec? How reliable is servint to you? Great uptime?

How long have you been with your servint's vps? How about create your own thread and give review about them.

Don't just BS around with a spec and use it to compare between host.

At the end of the day, you still haven't think of about most important thing:

RELIABILITY

I am just speaking from my experience with them.. 4 years ! From shared to their vps. I am moving to my own dedicated server very soon!

As for your 'garbage', keep it to yourself. Don't come here and thrash company like you have actually used it. If you love servint, good for you. Hug them before you go to bed. Good luck.

Comment

I guess this is also the obvious one, but anyone having cpu or ram issues, have you gone back through your options and read every setting again? There are so many options that are very server intensive as your forum grows, and you may off enabled them at the beginning, but are they really necessary now you are suffering the consequences for cost?

This would be another suggestion... to recheck every option in the ACP to ensure you have your forum set for best server performance, instead of maybe all the bells and whistles, especially if cost is a factor for your hosting.
                Well, maybe obvious but still a good suggestion, I may certainly go and take a look to see if I can improve something on that side !

Comment

Originally posted by Aery View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions!

I actually have a small business account: http://www.lunarpages.com/business-hosting/ (and actually paid more than 21$/mo, they must have reduced the price recently ).

Anyhow while there are many attachments all zip files are only LINKS and also the majority of images are in the server and shown through the IMG tags so they can be checked even from non logged-in users (that's how I need it to be).

They've basically given me 2 weeks to either upgrade or shut down the forum or something along the lines so I don't really have plenty of choices.

Thanks,
                  Aery
                  I just moved to UrlJet and its been really good so far. I suggest you contact them about your situation and they can may be recommend you a good plan. They did my forum migration and corrected by previous vbulletin related errors with templates and stuff for free which is like wow. I have a dedicated server with them so I dont know how their shared hosting is. You should probably ask someone here who's on shared with UrlJet or just contact the company directly. Their support is really awesome and especially if you have a forum related issue they'll correct it for you and they've done that for me for free.
                  www.christianforumsite.com
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Roly, sorry, but I have been online since 95 developing and marketing websites. A little far from a Noob I think. Over a decade with forums... Only with vBulletin since 05, as I was a PHPBB person before that.

Oh... sorry, it does say root access. My apologies on that. The rest sticks though, sorry. The specs are absolute garbage for the cost. I am not sure if you could some how justify this or you may have some affiliation to this company, not sure, but the specs advertised for the price is absolute rubbish. This actually just gets worse for you, because now I have really spent some time looking at it.

Now feel free here trying to justify this, but I doubt you're going to be able to:

MXHub VPS4

$48.95 per month (unmanaged) for:
                    • 36GB hard disk space
                    • 750 GB Bandwidth
                    • 128MB RAM
                    • 6 IP's

Then, a further:
                    • $18 for Cpanel / WHM
                    • $20 per month for it to be managed (Hello - Managed monthly cost now $68.95 for pathetic specifications)
                    • No mention of CPU or server specs for VPS. No doubt, using what was advertised for dedicated solutions, Core2Duo (guessed)

Now... ServInt are one of the more expensive solutions, and they are cheaper than this garbage from MXHub...

ServInt Basic VPS

$49 per month completely managed, 24/7 tech support, phone, ticket, live chat, etc, for:
                    • 30GB hard disk space (15K RPM SCSI/SAS)
                    • 1TB Bandwidth
                    • 768 MB Guaranteed RAM, Burst 1.5 GB (667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM)
                    • Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs
                    • 4 IP's
                    Top one is absolute rubbish for what they are charging, second one isn't too bad.

Have a look at these, they are in the UK, fully managed and no I don't work for them, but I do have a dedicated server off them that is excellent. The support is good too.

http://www.eukhost.com/vps-hosting.php

Comment

Originally posted by Poppet25 View Post
                      Have a look at these, they are in the UK, fully managed and no I don't work for them, but I do have a dedicated server off them that is excellent. The support is good too.
                      and the one you mention is even better, huh? and you do not work for them... why do you worry and had to made a sentence for that?

what forum are you running with them? care to share?

Comment

Well, most of my users are in the USA so I'd rather have a USA based hosting.

Ok, so you have:
                        • 2.7GB of disk space used
                        • 133GB Bandwith this month
                        • 0.8GB MySQL

Rough guess... the bandwidth is likely a major issue for them due to the size of your database. Even though hosts say, "unlimited bandwidth $5.00 per month", they don't really mean it and get uneasy when people use excessive amounts of it with $5 accounts. Large databases also increase CPU usage, and as you mentioned the site contains lots of zipped downloads, this would be the major issue especially if being stored within your database as I suspect a lot of images / files are being from the size of it with your stats.

If you have your attachments within your database, I would try this option first, being to remove images from your database and store them within your file structure. AdminCP > Attachments > Attachment Storage Types then follow the prompts through to move your images from your database to your server file structure instead. Normally you just have to create a folder on your server, usually in images, chmod it to 777 and place that path into your admincp as you go through the process to move them. It will instruct you as you go.

Read http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...chment_storage as it contains the pro's and con's to having images and files in your database vs. on the file server. They are better on the file server. If you use blogs, you have to repeat the above through the blog option also, AdminCP > vBulletin Blog > Attachment Storage Type.

This should keep them happy by reducing your CPU and RAM usage within more acceptable levels.
                        I moved the attachments as you suggested and the number my proveder posted after the move are the highest so far .
                        Also, this data is probably based on a different server since they recently moved my site but they don't give me any data to compare etc....

AFTER moving the attachments
                        Average %CPU usage - 3.49
                        Average %Memory usage - 6.07
                        Average %MySQL usage - 0.1

compared to the previous:
                        Average %CPU usage - 2.92
                        Average %Memory usage - 4.31
                        Average %MySQL usage - 0.1

I guess it's just the time to move to another host.
                        Aery
                        Last edited by Aery; Mon 5 Oct '09, 8:31am.

Comment

If you think that made it worse, you can put them back into the DB near the same way. Great thing about software... trial and error to find what works the best.

That could be the case Aery. Remember, whilst those CPU usage stats don't seem high, they are if you are on a shared host. You have to think about how many users are on the host, and if 100 users where constantly using 1% CPU... then the CPU resources are gone. Most sites rarely trickle the CPU, hence how they end up with 500 sites or more on one server. Rare spikes do nothing because the CPU is working at half pace with 500 sites. If only a handful of those sites begin performing more, then suddenly the host gets upset... so they blame you for being bad.

Shared hosting has a limited use... Just find a good host that will cater your requirements and is a trusted source. Lost exist... only problem is a lot more ripoffs and poor providers exist than the good ones. Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks,
                            I'm currently trying to make a new back-up of my forum but are having some troubles on this temporary server.
                            I hope to move within the week, anyway.
                            Thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

I'm still undecided between:
                            - ServInt Essential VPS
                            - vB Platinum at URLJet

ServInt seems to offer more (Bandwidth/RAM) for less money but URLJet is specialized in vBulletin and I'm not sure a shared environment would be enough, the Performance VPS plans are a bit pricey for my needs and I'd pay around 90$ compared to ServInt 50$ for a VPS with same RAM but much less bandwith.
                            I haven't need any assistance so far for my vBulletin (even because previous providers knew nothing about it or at least didn't help at all).

Thanks,
                            Aery

Comment

I am sure both will be able to assist you if you ask them for help, who ever you choose to host with. Yes... it does begin getting pricey though as your forum grows. Many don't realise this at all. I know I never did with forums when I become involved with them and then began my own.

Comment

- ServInt Essential VPS
                                - vB Platinum at URLJet

I'm not sure these can be compared. I realize urljet gets great reviews but the specifications between those 2 companies plans look quite different.

The platinum plan appears to be a shared hosting account. And I'm not sure what this means:
                                Technical Admin Contact
                                We have a forum admin account and respond to your forum members support issues.
                                Do they get the emails when people click on the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of the forums?

Wait, I believe what it says is they have an Admin account on your forum. Do you want them seeing your entire forum?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X