Hosting Company Choice Is Everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting Company Choice Is Everything

I am no expert on this, but commonsense to me says a lot from reviewing managed server company solutions. Reading through threads here where people upgrade from shared to VPS, have issues, or VPS to dedicated, and still find what they have been provided is not adequate. I hosted my first site back in 1995, and since then have been learning from trial and error, all experience basically.

I see HostGator a lot here usually in conjunction with "unhappy", so lets do some comparisons here on what you get for your money.

Also, not sure why people have mentioned VPS from HostGator, as I do not see them having a VPS solution, Shared, Reseller or Dedicated is all I see. I do hope they aren't telling customers that Reseller hosting is VPS, because its not.

(All monthly prices as at time of posting)

The below are for demonstration purposes only, to show price vs. specifications and how rapidly they can vary.

HostGator Basic Dedicated
    • US$174
    • Intel Xeon 3040 (Dual Core)
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 250GB Hard Drive
    • 1.5TB Bandwidth

HostGator Standard Dedicated
    • US$219
    • Intel Xeon 3040 (Dual Core)
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 2 x 250GB Hard Drive
    • 1.5TB Bandwidth

GoDaddy Premium VPS (Please Don't Waste Your Time With This)
    • US$95 - $115 (Price varies on length of time you signup)
    • Such quality, they don't tell you what core is handling your VPS
    • 512 MB RAM Guaranteed / (2 GB RAM Bursted)
    • 50GB Space
    • 2TB Bandwidth

Honestly, anyone who hosts with GoDaddy, please get out of there. Seriously, that is dismal.

ServInt Enterprise VPS (Essential / Signature / Ultimate)
    • US$49 / $89 /$129
    • Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon L5300/L5400 Series CPUs
    • Guaranteed RAM - 768MB / 1.5GB / 2GB (667 MHz DDR2 Dual Rank, Fully Buffered RAM)
    • Burst RAM - 1.5GB / 3GB / 4GB
    • Hard Disk - 30GB / 45GB / 60GB (15K RPM SCSI/SAS Hard Drives in RAID 10)
    • Bandwidth - 1TB / 1.5TB / 2TB

ServInt Super VPS

Starting price is $200, but you begin getting into dedicated specs with guaranteed CPU cores with up-to four core bursts. Using the above CPU's and RAM specs... from a VPS you get better than what many offer as a sole dedicated solution, yet still you get full dedicated access, install what you want onto your server, etc.

Dedicated from ServInt begin at $300 monthly.

Comes back too... you get what you pay for.

Tips For Newbies

90% of hosting solutions you find around the web are small one man operations who rent server space and sell it forward to try and make some money. The trick is to identify just where your host sits in the scheme of things from you to the server. The closer you get to dealing directly with the people who own the servers, the people who are true server techs, usually the better service you will get.

For your average forum installation, all you need is one of these shared hosting solutions. As your forum grows, you will then usually need to begin thinking of upgrading because your users will be suffering the consequences of a shared hosting environment, usually dropouts, etc.

Reseller hosting is not a VPS. I once thought that reseller hosting was an upgrade from my shared hosting... It's not. Typically, nothing changes or you end up worse. A true VPS is the same as having a dedicated, except that you do not have the full server to yourself, you have a part of a server to yourself, shared with x number of other users, though typically always less than shared hosting. A VPS should have full root access, so you can treat it like a dedicated, well, very close to dedicated. You should be able to install and uninstall software directly, etc. You have guaranteed resources allocated to you with no other restrictions typically than your CPU, RAM, Space and Bandwidth limits. With full access, you can upgrade and run the latest MYSQL, PHP, etc... full access, no restrictions.

A good host will never oversell server resources, so you really do have your guaranteed specifications and burst specs always available. Many do not give this, so be careful. Specs are oversold for marketing, so be weary of such things. Bigger is not always better.

Price & Performance

This is what it usually comes down to... price. There is no right solution or one solution that fits all with hosting. The majority of people who ask me about hosting for their website, I will ask them a few basic questions and usually I would send them to a large scale shared hosting provider, such as HostGater, PowWeb, etc. Never GoDaddy though... please stay away from them for hosting. Domains are one thing, hosting another.

For a $100 a year the majority of people can run their websites on a shared hosting solution. When you out grow that is when the issues start, because suddenly people find out that no longer can they upgrade for just a few bucks more a year, but suddenly you need to go from $10 per month to $50 per month. So people typically go looking for the cheapest solution and find more problems than they had with the shared hosting.

Unfortunately, when you outgrow shared hosting, you have to make a decision. Stick with shared at a low cost and suck up the downtime and dropouts, or live with the fact that your hosting has now just drastically increased to continue your sites growth.

My above examples are a demonstration of variation in price and performance. If someone asked me where they could get hosting with 100% uptime guaranteed, and price was not an option, then I would only send them to the one place, RackSpace. When you want the ultimate in server solutions, that is where you go. A bit much though for your average website hosting... definitely more high end corporate, being their target market, with servers starting around $400+ monthly. The quality of product and service that you will get for that money is completely worth it.

This is just what comes to mind on hosting from my experience and perceptions... I know there are server techs here who could go much further than I on this subject, and hopefully they may share their experience to help people in the future with the direction they choose, even to begin thinking about now when you begin your forum.

Further Thought

Maybe for those who are struggling with the cost of upgrades and the performance they require, should post something here to reduce the cost and go into a VPS or dedicated solution with a group of forum owners... that is one way you could get better performance for your forum and reduce the cost drastically from having it to yourself.

Great article. I read another post of yours a few hours ago and based on that have been researching ServInt since then.

A detail you could possibly include could be max connections. My Hostgator shared account has 25 max for my account, 100 max for all sites on the shared server, and ironically enough based on experiments there were only 40 max used on the server for all sites in the last few days. So actually the limit does not bother me today, but we are growing fast.

The only mention of the max connections that ServInt vps allows on Web Hosting Talk that I could find was 500 was possible, but that was in passing and the thread was 3 years old.

It was also mentioned on WHT that the full text search could not be shortened to 3 characters on ServInt VPS, can that be done? Their sales department is closed for the day.

BTW - HostGator is in the process of rolling out their VPS plan, it is in Beta and is not listed on their main site yet.

Comment

Thanks... I am not aware of the full text search issue... you would have to take it up with them for a definitive answer I would imagine. I thought that was a core setup parameter though... So I would only imagine that you could adjust it via setting it up again? Not a server tech though... maybe someone who is could tell you more definitively. I just know enough to get myself into trouble typically... sometimes out of it also.

Comment

My friend's car forum is run on this at $207/mo. 2 years ago and still with them.
        Fully MANAGED!... I want to mention again... his vbulletin 's server is fully manage by the company. I heard nothing but praise from them. I am not ready yet but will switch to a dedicated once i have enough pocket money.

MXHUB.COM MANAGED Dedicated Server

Core2Duo E6550 (2x2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
        • 2 X 250GB SATA-II HDD
        • 2GB DDR2 667 ECC RAM
        • Bandwidth: 1500GB
        • 5 Public IP Addresses
        • CentOS OS
        • CPanel/WHM

Managed Package included:

* Security hardening
        * 24/7 monitoring service
        * 24/7 Restarts Of Custom Services & Processes
        * Managed Backups (Daily & Weekly) - 50GB
        * Managed Firewall - Network & Server Intrusion Prevention
        * Managed O/S Updates & Patches

$279/month | FREE Setup

Comment

good comments, bad reviews... your only details are price based on 3 providers... you point at the wrong direction if your goal was to prove anything, because there is no substance in the reviews you did.

btw, your comment about "one guy business" is right... most of the hosts you will find offering 5$/months hosting are just resellers of big providers like godaddy or worst...

i would suggest you compare more second level hosts, not just godaddy and hostgator ... which are complete different services.
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
            It was also mentioned on WHT that the full text search could not be shortened to 3 characters on ServInt VPS, can that be done? Their sales department is closed for the day.
            Depends on whether the MySQL Daemon is virtualized or not. If it is virtualized than you can edit the configuration files for your copy. Personally, I haven't checked yet because that is where I host. I just don't see much need for search for less than 4 characters. Looked in their forums and didn't really find anything on fulltext.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              Depends on whether the MySQL Daemon is virtualized or not. If it is virtualized than you can edit the configuration files for your copy. Personally, I haven't checked yet because that is where I host. I just don't see much need for search for less than 4 characters. Looked in their forums and didn't really find anything on fulltext.
              For our forum 3 character searches would be *huge*, every forum has different needs.

I called and asked if their MySQL Daemon is virtualized and they said no. However they did say you can edit the configuration files for your copy. I suspect there were some terminology issues during the discussion but as long as I can set ft_min_word_len = 3, I would be most happy.

Further information:
              MySQL max_connections = 200
              MySQL max_user_connections = blank, presumably this means max_connections sets the limit.
              Both those can be changed to whatever is desired till some other limit is reached.

TCP/UDP connections = 500

Phone tech support is said to be available 24/7/365, and all the other traditional electronic forums of communication as well (support ticket, email, etc).

I only asked about the specifications for the smallest hosting package Essential VPS that is currently at $49/month.
              Last edited by Abomination; Thu 24th Sep '09, 12:12pm. Reason: mistake.

Comment

I just don't see much need for search for less than 4 characters.
                in ENGLISH, it means nothing, because most of the 3 letters words are not useful on search: the, she, cat, are... *(she has a cat that is red and fat) etc ... 4 letters words may also be pointless to search, but how would you find this sentence: *(do you know this guy who is ugly and fear even the air that he does not see)

but in a lot of other languages, there are a number of important words that could only be searched if 3 letters words can be searched... remember the chinese/asian problem now, one or two characters for a complete word... i mean UTF16 is problematic...
                oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by nexialys View Post
                  in ENGLISH, it means nothing, because most of the 3 letters words are not useful on search: the, she, cat, are... *(she has a cat that is red and fat) etc ... 4 letters words may also be pointless to search, but how would you find this sentence: *(do you know this guy who is ugly and fear even the air that he does not see)

but in a lot of other languages, there are a number of important words that could only be searched if 3 letters words can be searched... remember the chinese/asian problem now, one or two characters for a complete word... i mean UTF16 is problematic...
                  Yeah, it was a personal opinion about my sites hosted by the specified company. The sentence had nothing whatsoever to do with vBulletin or the support thereof. I'll be sure to clarify for your nitpicking in the future.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

http://vbcodex.com/

Wayne, this is first time I have looked at that site, alot of information there, thanks for putting it up.

Joey
                    Real Web Host

Comment

Hmm, very nice Wayne... just read your article on updating to vb4.

Nex... you actually got the point then, as the point was the sheer difference in what is available upon the web, and not a comparison of like hosts, but instead the variance available, which have better uses over each, etc. Usually it comes down to cost, which was another point made in that.

Comment

i know you can write great reviews and Tutorials Anthony, your wording is really efficient and precise... on my side it is crap and unconsistant... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
                          For our forum 3 character searches would be *huge*, every forum has different needs.

I called and asked if their MySQL Daemon is virtualized and they said no. However they did say you can edit the configuration files for your copy. I suspect there were some terminology issues during the discussion but as long as I can set ft_min_word_len = 3, I would be most happy.

<snipped>

More information from the ServInt website, I believe this means the MySQL server is virtualized :

Do I have to use a shared MySQL server or will I have my own on a ServInt VPS?

Every ServInt VPS includes MySQL preinstalled; it's yours and only yours. Every one of your applications is your very own to configure as you see fit.

What is Virtuozzo?
                          1. The full name of Virtuozzo is 'Parallels Virtuozzo Containers'. It is an operating system-level virtualization software packge created by Parallels, Inc. Virtuozzo allows a hosting provider to create virtual environments that are independent of individual hardware. The name 'containers' is appropriate, as you can think of your hosted environment as being self-contained and not wedded to its hosting hardware. With Virtuozzo, your host environment is flexible, and even mobile.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X