Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you consider VPS as an upgrade over Shared Hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry Big K, plenty have been in the same situation. I originally started out on the web with shared hosting, out grew it, moved to the same companies VPS under something similar to what you are saying. Their VPS solution wasn't a true VPS at all, and I ended up with worse issues. Changed companies to a more reputable one (so I thought), improved drastically. Out grew that, then money came into it again, being they recommended an upgrade to a dedicated $$$... after much research and years of moving things around, I ended up finding out that even their dedicated solution was really a half arse one, not even close to the specs found on servers I host with nowadays using a VPS... More traffic, more bandwidth, and the VPS from ServInt handles it better than a dedicated did from another company. As a result, for the past 3 years approximately, I have hosted everything with ServInt, VPS and dedicated for high end data hungry stuff. My forums though are on the VPS... and have no simultaneous connection issues any more. It only comes down to really meeting the CPU and RAM limits...

It really is a trial and error industry for hosting... what suits you best for price, service and performance. You usually get what you pay for though.

Comment

Frankly speaking, I don't want to leave my current host. They charge more but I'm very happy with their support. They're just there when I need them. I don't know how other hosts perform. I've had so bad experience in past that I don't want to take a risk.

I checked out ServInt and their VPS are super. How would you rate their support?

----------------

By the way, has anyone checked out RackSpace Cloud? What's your take on running vBulletin in cloud?
      Founder | CrazyEngineers®
      About CE | Small Talk | Official Blog 'VoiCE'
      The Big K's SuperBlog | Join CE!
      The Mobiles Forum. Got A Question?

Comment

Holy sh*t... I had never seen this until just now. Big K... I would recommend that one, especially as it comes from Rackspace. Starting at $100 per month
        Cloud Sites is a reliable Website hosting plan that won't let you down. Unlike regular shared or dedicated hosting, sites hosted on the cloud can use all of the cloud's computing power to keep your sites up during periods of intense traffic.
        And this... the cloud servers... OMFG, so cheap considering it is done from Rackspace and you only pay more if your site is burning up the RAM and CPU, starting at only $11 monthly:
        Need massive cloud computing power that you pay for only when you use it? With the Rackspace Cloud you can easily turn server instances on when you need then, and off when you don't. Powerful and cost effective cloud computing, when you need it.

Comment

That's right, but there NO ROOT ACCESS!

Plus, I'm skeptic about running vB on cloud. Anyone's already running vB on cloud?

Share your inputs, please!

Comment

I rather have my own vps or dedicated server with root access.

Full control over what i need.

btw, 512mb ram for a vps is just acceptable.. you will need more when more traffic get in.

-roly

Comment

Oh... no root access, that is harsh. I wouldn't take it based on that. I do wonder how much better such a service would be at only $11 a month with Rackspace compared to all these other shared hosting environments! From what they are saying, that would have to better having full server resources available in burst allocations as and when your site demanded, for a shared environment. Very interesting....

Comment

My host has offered the following to me for Monthly Fee: $159.

What do you think: -

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ dual core » Memory: 2 GB DDR SDRAM

Hd1: 250GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache » Hd2: 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache »

RemoteBackup: No Remote Backup Needed » OS: Linux - CentOS 5 (+32 Bit)

ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager (+ServerSecure)
                (+Fantastico/XController) » SetupFee: $0

Comment

Not bad for the price... no setup fee is always a bonus, as dedicated usually has an initial setup cost.

Comment

That's a special offer for ME ! IN future, the memory can be upgraded to 4GB!

They are providing upgrade from P4 processor to dual core for just $10/month

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ dual core

Considering we have vBSEO installed and no other mods, what kind of traffic can this server sustain?

Comment

Get this one. I don't like AMD. They tend to overheat?
                      Core2duo is energy efficient.

MXHUB.COM MANAGED Dedicated Server

Core2Duo E6550 (2x2.33GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
                      • 2 X 250GB SATA-II HDD
                      • 2GB DDR2 667 ECC RAM
                      • Bandwidth: 1500GB
                      • 5 Public IP Addresses
                      • CentOS OS
                      • CPanel/WHM

Managed Package included:

* Security hardening
                      * 24/7 monitoring service
                      * 24/7 Restarts Of Custom Services & Processes
                      * Managed Backups (Daily & Weekly) - 50GB
                      * Managed Firewall - Network & Server Intrusion Prevention
                      * Managed O/S Updates & Patches

$279/month | FREE Setup

My friend get $207 a month..

Comment

Originally posted by The_Big_K View Post
                        Considering we have vBSEO installed and no other mods, what kind of traffic can this server sustain?
                        Rough guess... I would say with a standard vbulletin, no video streaming, you would not have to change servers any time soon IMHO. Millions of posts, thousands of daily users, should have zero issues.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
                          Rough guess... I would say with a standard vbulletin, no video streaming, you would not have to change servers any time soon IMHO. Millions of posts, thousands of daily users, should have zero issues.
                          There's no streaming on my forums.

I guess I shouldn't bother whether my CPU overheats. The CPU is fully managed by the web host.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Big_K View Post
                            My host has offered the following to me for Monthly Fee: $159.

What do you think: -
                            I'm not quite sure what this means, but I would be making backups on a regular basis at least of the data.

"RemoteBackup: No Remote Backup Needed"

How is the server working out for you?

Comment

Remote backup facility is about providing storage space outside their own datacenter. The server does come with 2 Hard Disks 250 GB & 120 GB.

Remote backup facility may not be very relevant to me right now. Our database isn't very big and we have multiple copies of our databases to restore, in case something goes wrong.

Of course, we'd opt for remote backup service for added protection to the database as soon as it grows over 1.5 GB.

I'm yet to migrate to that server. Will post my experience here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X