ffmpeg hosting option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ffmpeg hosting option?

i am looking for ffmpeg host, i search several such hosts, but they are not so good for shared hosting, any ideas or suggestions would be helpful for me. my current host do not have ffmpeg installed and do not want to install, so i am looking for new host that will let me use ffmpeg for my vbulletin site, can anybody recommand good ffmpeg shared hosting?

Try to get a cheap vps to install whatever you want or ask smaller hosting companies which are more customer focused and flexible.

What vb module is using ffmpeg ?
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

You're not going to have much success finding a shared host that allows ffmpeg. You'll need a VPS or your own dedicated I'm afraid.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Interdit View Post
        Try to get a cheap vps to install whatever you want or ask smaller hosting companies which are more customer focused and flexible.

What vb module is using ffmpeg ?
        i will be using vbtube pro, for which i need ffmpeg installed on the server, my site is not big site and i have not started building the site, so i need shared hosting as a startup for my site, once members starts growing i would move on to vps or dedicated server, but currently i need shared hosting? do you know any such host??

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
        You're not going to have much success finding a shared host that allows ffmpeg. You'll need a VPS or your own dedicated I'm afraid.
        that's true, i tried lot of time finding out good shared hosting, but didnt find success, although recently i came to know about this host http://www.imageleet.com and i have heard good reviews about them in digital point forum and webhostingtalk forum, any idea if they are good for shared hosting for small site?
        Last edited by rugby; Sun 6th Sep '09, 10:04am.

Comment

Originally posted by rugby View Post
          i am looking for ffmpeg host, i search several such hosts, but they are not so good for shared hosting, any ideas or suggestions would be helpful for me. my current host do not have ffmpeg installed and do not want to install, so i am looking for new host that will let me use ffmpeg for my vbulletin site, can anybody recommand good ffmpeg shared hosting?
          Hello.

We offer FFMPEG on our shared hosting.

Tim
          www.vbulletinhosting.co.uk
          Tim
          Nimbus Hosting
          www.nimbushosting.co.uk (vB Hosting Experts)

Comment

Originally posted by xnetco View Post
            Hello.

We offer FFMPEG on our shared hosting.

Tim
            www.vbulletinhosting.co.uk
            your hosting it seems very expensive for shared hosting, that also for 5gb space and 75gb bandwidth you provide at the cost of 24.99/month thats too much. i will wait for some others opinion who can tell me the good trusted host for shared hosting, though i will take your offer into consideration and see if i didnt find a better option, i will shift my site on your server.

Comment

More you pay more you get quality (such as enabling some specific features like ffmpeg for some customers).
              BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
              Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
              Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

Please do not use these forums for advertising or as a way if getting customers. Thank you.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Interdit View Post
                  More you pay more you get quality (such as enabling some specific features like ffmpeg for some customers).
                  agreed, but shared hosting are not expensive, eventhough it has ffmpeg enabled. my current host though do not have ffmpeg, still he charges me 15$/month for 25gb space and 100gb bandwidth, which is cheap as compared to other host, so i believe even ffmpeg shared host are not expensive.

Comment

Quality hosts who do not oversell servers have to charge more for their services or they won't be able to make money. Most hosting companys sell huge blocks of storage/bandwidth on lower end hardware with tons of HDDs and hope their customers never use their limits. If they come close they have some clause in their TOS that will stop you from being able to access all of your storage limits more than likely. You get what you pay for.

Its not uncommon to have few hundered - few thousand accounts on 1 machine in the shard hosting business. How do you think they pay for servers with shared hosting accounts starting @ 3 dollars a month for 20gb of storage and 500gb of transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      Quality hosts who do not oversell servers have to charge more for their services or they won't be able to make money. Most hosting companys sell huge blocks of storage/bandwidth on lower end hardware with tons of HDDs and hope their customers never use their limits. If they come close they have some clause in their TOS that will stop you from being able to access all of your storage limits more than likely. You get what you pay for.

Its not uncommon to have few hundered - few thousand accounts on 1 machine in the shard hosting business. How do you think they pay for servers with shared hosting accounts starting @ 3 dollars a month for 20gb of storage and 500gb of transfer?
                      i dont mind paying more money for quality hosting, but some host provide low space/ bandwidth and charge more, and for ffmpeg low space is not enough for me, that is why i want more space, atleast 25gb space and 50gb bandwidth, i can pay 20$ a month for shared hosting, and since i want to pay for one whole year, so i am expecting shared hosting to be reasonable for the cost, and should not exceed more than 20$ a month, so that i can afford to pay for 1 year hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by rugby View Post
                        Have you search about it on WebhostingTalk?
                        Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                        LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

For 25 pound, you're looking at US$40... per month. For a bit more you can just get yourself a VPS at a high end provider, ie. US$50 per month, ffmpeg can then be installed.

Problems

What you're really talking about though is RTMP / FMS hosting. Looking at the software you mentioned, this is about running your own YouTube type site from your server, video hosting. This may sound easy, but this is why I ended up with a dedicated server, just for video streaming using WowzaMedia Pro, being a cheaper solution than Adobe FMS. I began exactly where you are, and found out quickly.

Software such as ffmpeg and other linux equivalents, are basic applications to run low end apps. When you begin talking about users uploading their own video content to your site, no problem... when you start talking about 50 people simultaneously watching a video, this is where you run into the issues at the server and the software streaming the content. If your site is low usage, ie. a few people at once will watch videos, no issues, a VPS and ffmpeg will do this hands down. If you are talking more along the lines of hundreds of users uploading video content, with a lot of simultaneous connections, a VPS and ffmpeg are not going to achieve this. Maybe a good starting point for you, but most people come undone when venturing into streaming media, because reality often hits quickly with climbing costs to stream audio / video content all self hosted.

I would be more likely to do a search and find a hosting provider that caters RTMP / FMS hosting in an all-in-one solution, or use your cheap hosting to run your site, and buy third party RTMP / FMS hosting where you just plugin the code and all the streaming is handled off-site, and you can control how much you pay, which will also give you a very good idea of site usage, whether changing to a VPS with ffmpeg is a reality or not. Maybe a month trial with such a thing is better than outlaying costs to upgrade into unknown territory!

Seriously... really do your homework with this, because I purchased flashcoms chat software years ago... thought it would be cool to enhance a site with video chat, then I quickly found my costs sky rocketing to the point of a dedicated server to handle the streaming content... all because of a neat idea. Reality, it was cheaper to pull the plug and let users use the free alternatives, ie. MSN, ICQ, Skype, GoogleTalk, etc... free live video chatting at no cost. Found the same thing when I got into streaming video content from user uploads. It gets expensive... just be warned and do your homework.

It is one thing to hotlink video from YouTube and such into your site, it is another to allow video uploading where the stream is now from your server.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedito View Post
                            Have you search about it on WebhostingTalk
                            Yep i did look at webhostingtalk, but didnt found any such host that i can trust to, just found one site that i had mentioned previously was imageleet host, but i think there support is pathetic, i had emailed twice for pre-sale question, but i didnt received any response from them in past two weeks, which is not good at all, so i am looking for another optional host that could be better one for ffmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyparsons View Post
                              For 25 pound, you're looking at US$40... per month. For a bit more you can just get yourself a VPS at a high end provider, ie. US$50 per month, ffmpeg can then be installed.

Problems

What you're really talking about though is RTMP / FMS hosting. Looking at the software you mentioned, this is about running your own YouTube type site from your server, video hosting. This may sound easy, but this is why I ended up with a dedicated server, just for video streaming using WowzaMedia Pro, being a cheaper solution than Adobe FMS. I began exactly where you are, and found out quickly.

Software such as ffmpeg and other linux equivalents, are basic applications to run low end apps. When you begin talking about users uploading their own video content to your site, no problem... when you start talking about 50 people simultaneously watching a video, this is where you run into the issues at the server and the software streaming the content. If your site is low usage, ie. a few people at once will watch videos, no issues, a VPS and ffmpeg will do this hands down. If you are talking more along the lines of hundreds of users uploading video content, with a lot of simultaneous connections, a VPS and ffmpeg are not going to achieve this. Maybe a good starting point for you, but most people come undone when venturing into streaming media, because reality often hits quickly with climbing costs to stream audio / video content all self hosted.

I would be more likely to do a search and find a hosting provider that caters RTMP / FMS hosting in an all-in-one solution, or use your cheap hosting to run your site, and buy third party RTMP / FMS hosting where you just plugin the code and all the streaming is handled off-site, and you can control how much you pay, which will also give you a very good idea of site usage, whether changing to a VPS with ffmpeg is a reality or not. Maybe a month trial with such a thing is better than outlaying costs to upgrade into unknown territory!

Seriously... really do your homework with this, because I purchased flashcoms chat software years ago... thought it would be cool to enhance a site with video chat, then I quickly found my costs sky rocketing to the point of a dedicated server to handle the streaming content... all because of a neat idea. Reality, it was cheaper to pull the plug and let users use the free alternatives, ie. MSN, ICQ, Skype, GoogleTalk, etc... free live video chatting at no cost. Found the same thing when I got into streaming video content from user uploads. It gets expensive... just be warned and do your homework.

It is one thing to hotlink video from YouTube and such into your site, it is another to allow video uploading where the stream is now from your server.
                              Yep i know that, but i have no idea on how to handle dedicated server and how to install those softwares on the server, so i had thought that first i would go with shared hosting, when my site becomes much popular and users starts using video services more, then i would switched to dedicated server, at present it would be useless, as i am still building my site and launching may take a month, so till site begans to grow it may take atleast 3months or may be 6months, so till that time i need shared hosting, which i can handle atleast 20-30videos in 2-6months.

Comment

Working...
                              X