Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need cheap host with lost of disk space and lost of bandwidth? Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need cheap host with lost of disk space and lost of bandwidth? Where?

I am switching hosts and I need a new host that fits my needs. I don't know if hosts mean theres a difference between disk space and MySQL size, but I tried to backup my SQL and it hit 300MB and I ran out of space so I'm going to backup again and get the full size of my forum, but the point is that it is larger than 300 MBs. I will post later tonight when I find out how big it really is, but the forum has only been open for 2 1/2 months and it's already HUGE! So I need a host that will give me a lot as in at least 1GB or more of space for my MySQL database along with a lot of bandwidth. My current hosts says im at 8GBs a month and Like I said it's a new site so that number is only going to get bigger. So.. ANybody know a host that is good for my needs? I also need cheap. That is probably the hardest one of all of them. If you are not sure if it's "cheap" post and I will decide for myself, I don't want to just crap out my forum just because I don't have enough money to spring for a good host.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

With a MySQL of 1GB you will really need to go with a Dedicated Server.

The other thing is that its very strange that just having 8GB per month and 2 1/2 Months "age" you have a such big database ... its nearly impossible to have that.

But anyway .. i offer really cheap prices in what resides to Dedicated Hosting (Shared also)

If you are interested mail me to [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by nB.MuRDeR
      With a MySQL of 1GB you will really need to go with a Dedicated Server.

The other thing is that its very strange that just having 8GB per month and 2 1/2 Months "age" you have a such big database ... its nearly impossible to have that.

But anyway .. i offer really cheap prices in what resides to Dedicated Hosting (Shared also)

If you are interested mail me to [email protected]
      We have a forum of 7000+ posts that have just attachments. Each attachment ranging from 40 to 100K. That's why it's soo big. I still don't think I need a dedicated server though, because it's not that big from just messages, it's that big from soo many attachments.

And NO deleting attachments is not an option, because one of the forumz is completely dedicated to pictures... (of close to naked women I might add)

Comment

The point is you're not going to find any 'cheap' hosts with shared servers that will accomodate the kind of storage requirement. At this rate of growth, very soon you'll need a dedicated server just to hold your database with all its attachments.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well that really sucks. Is there a way to get it so that the attachments aren't in the SQL database? Anybody know if there is a hack? Will it slow down the forum?

Comment

I got your script and also your new home. Send email to me chk my signature or check Here

Programming Done By a Great programmer I have.
            Last edited by express; Sat 27 Oct '01, 2:36pm.
            Real Web Host

Comment

Yep,

webhost's hack works fine for me. No more storage in Database, easy to handle files that I want to delete.

Not to mention the increase of speed, since database isnt been that much involved in the attachements anymore.

*thumbs up*

-Alex
              I want to express my deepest compassion to all who have lost their loved ones in the latest terroristic attack

>> Nuke Bin Laden yourself here <<

Webmaster NÐE | Webmaster UA Forums | ArtworX ECL | Admin DiGL | Hosted at RWH | Portfolio

My Stylez
              Red Darkness | Velvet Night | Dreadful Cyan
              Goodiez
              Table bgcolor change on hover | Onlinestatus modifications | German Templates

\\\ ///
                                              (ô ô)
              -------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------

Comment

But how does this solve Gutspiller's main problem - the need to large and growing amounts of disk space? It really shouldn't make much difference if the attachments are in the database or a directory. (Perhapos a little, but not enough to make a big difference.)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

All I will say and is tell that to all the people that continue to get file upload errors from MYSQL when trying to upload big attachments. Will you agree that this would help alot with those error's.
                  Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by webhost
                    All I will say and is tell that to all the people that continue to get file upload errors from MYSQL when trying to upload big attachments. Will you agree that this would help alot with those error's.
                    I don't disagree. It's just that Gutspiller's main problem is disk space. He didn't mention anything about file upload error being a problem for him. How does uploading files to a directory rather than a database solve the disk space problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

First of all I offer a plan with 750 meg and 20 gig of bandwidth, that is the main reason I told him to come over and look also I can increase that if needed, second when I seen how many attachments he had I mentioned the script because it would be managed better with this script installed. Not going into what it does here, but I informed him of it. Plus this would free up a great deal of load on a server when alot of files are getting uploaded at the same time to the database, I say this because you should know about the settings for MYSQL, time out and limits and such. All I was trying to do was help the guy out which we do with all of our clients. That is all we will say about this.
                      Real Web Host

Comment

Dunno why this always ends up in argumentation here.

Let just him decide, wether it's a good offer or not.

Just my 2 cents (approx 10% of what im getting out of my Tech-Job :P)

-Pie
                        I want to express my deepest compassion to all who have lost their loved ones in the latest terroristic attack

Webmaster NÐE | Webmaster UA Forums | ArtworX ECL | Admin DiGL | Hosted at RWH | Portfolio

My Stylez
                        Goodiez

\\\ ///
                                                        (ô ô)

Comment

Don't fight. I found a host that gives 2 GBs of space and 50 GBs of bandwidth. I emailed them and am awaiting an email back for questions I sent them. I will be able to find out if that 2 GBs can be used as MySQL storage.

BTW the host is http://www.optimalhost.net/hosting.html

Knowledge is power my friends

Comment

i'd move away from storing such large attachments especially if you're not on your own server or one with the web space you need.

i.e. my forum has nearly 447,000 posts, 29,000 pm messages, 600 custom avatars and 7,000 attachments and the forum database is just over 545mb in size
                            Last edited by George L; Sat 27 Oct '01, 9:30pm.
                            :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                            :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                            :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Lets just hope, their service is good, too.

Knowledge is Power. Right. Lucky me I know that RWH has great support

-Pie

My Stylez
                              Goodiez

\\\ ///
                                                              (ô ô)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X