Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abbas73
    replied
    shared hosting is not suitable for anything above 50 users online. for 200 users you need at least a vbs or optimally a didicated server.

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied
    xnetco im aware of that incident. but i dont seem to find anyone else for the same price , unless someone can suggest a provider

Leave a comment:

• xnetco
    replied
    Originally posted by itschemistry View Post
    bigwater, thanx for the detailed reply. actually iv been offered a managed vps from VASERV for £20/m i read reviews and comments about them on webhostingtalk and they sound pretty ok.

any managed deals for around £20?
    I'm not sure VASERV is a wise choice.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/08/webhost_attack/

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied
    bigwater, thanx for the detailed reply. actually iv been offered a managed vps from VASERV for £20/m i read reviews and comments about them on webhostingtalk and they sound pretty ok.

any managed deals for around £20?

Leave a comment:

• bigwater
    replied
    Unmanaged services can be quite a steep learning curve. There's a lot more to it than just installing vBulletin and a few addons. You'll need a firewall, and need to understand how to configure it. You'll need to manage schedules for updating your system software so you stay on top of security and compatability issues. You'll need a backup solution. There are a lot of things to consider.

You can hire a gunslinger to set all this up for you once, and pay them on a per event support call when you run into problems if you prefer not to pay for a managed VPS. The cost will ultimately be about the same over time though.

On average I end up billing out about $200 for an initial configuration of a fresh server, and get on average about 2 billable service requests at $30 each over the course of a year for each client. So add $260 to the cost of the unmanaged hosting, and if that number is more than what you can get managed hosting for, go for the managed hosting.
    Last edited by bigwater; Wed 15 Jul '09, 7:20am. Reason: had said "less" instead of more in relation to pricing.

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied
    Originally posted by eUKhost.com View Post
    Shared hosting is not what you require. VPS or Dedicated Server is highly recommended for your requirements. Shared hosting package will do well for a couple of days however it will cause problems as your no. of concurrent users grow.
    Thanx for the reply actually im on a limited budget and i dont really have any knowledge of VPS the only one in my price range are unmanaged and a VPS sales guy gave me a scare that i wont be able to manage it if i have no knowledge.

All i want to do is install a vbulletin and a few addons how hard can it be to manage ?

( im an engineer my self with fair knowledge of programming and configuring devices, i think once i figure out what to do i will be fine. but thats just what i think dont know how hard it will be)

Leave a comment:

• eUKhost.com
    replied
    or any suggetions about bluehost or hostgator for hosting ? because they said 200 users online at a time wont be a prob.
    Shared hosting is not what you require. VPS or Dedicated Server is highly recommended for your requirements. Shared hosting package will do well for a couple of days however it will cause problems as your no. of concurrent users grow.

Leave a comment:

• alemcherry
    replied
    or any suggetions about bluehost or hostgator for hosting ? because they said 200 users online at a time wont be a prob.
    I guess that WOULD be a problem, no matter what they said. Around 200 users online is good load and ofcourse they have limits on CPU usage. A VPS with atleast 512 mb assured ram would be required and you need lot of storage as well. I dont really see a cheap solution, unless you can actually use some file hosting site for media downloading.

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied
    oh royo what do you suggest then ? i can do with less disk space say 30-40gb to start with but i would like to think that in future i would be able to stay with the same company and just upgrade my space.

thanx for your reply

Leave a comment:

• royo
    replied
    I'd be weary of the quality if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    replied
    thanx for your reply royo

actually i have found 2 vps for $21 , buzz servers and vipervps . they both offer 100GB+ space. not exactly $15 i mean round about that would be fine

Leave a comment:

• royo
    replied
    VPSs don't usually come with 100GB space. Even with half that space, it would be way over 15$/month. Figure out how to get the money or start something else.

Leave a comment:

• itschemistry
    started a topic Need help hosting or vps

Need help hosting or vps

Hi everyone , us few friends are planning to build a media site based on vbulletin.

there will be alot of uploading downloading of files,

now to start with i need about 100GB space and 300/500GB BW. Looking at our old site we might have 200 members online at a given time.

my question is should we go with hosting such as hostgator (unlimited space and bandwidth) for under $5 or should buy a vps ?

i dont want to spend more than $15/month , poor student lol.

any deals, packages or suggetions ?