dedicated servers - just pointing out something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dedicated servers - just pointing out something

i am on a dedicated server with rackspace.com and just thought i'd point out that rackspace just changed their linux configuration plans and it looks pretty good for the price

http://www.rackspace.com/goconfigure...r/hardware.php

they changed the cpu selection from

500, 550, 650, 750, dual 650 and dual 750

to

500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, dual 650 and dual 750 cpus

and added 1.5GB ram option...

and min 20GB EIDE hdd now

i just sent an email to ask them exactly what type of processor these new configs are using and will post it here

man am i paying alot more on my old config

you can get a

600mhz cpu
    256mb ram
    20 gb eide
    30gb/month
    1 IP
    US$380.80/month & US$305.80 setup

i gotta feeling those 600 - 1000 processors are AMD K7 Athlons or Durons since it pretty cheap for the cpu...

just thought i'd pass on the word to other vb owners
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Ours are Intel PIII 750's -- no Xeon's here! However it is still very very expensive a month. Have you encountered any sort of weird slowdowns on their end? For about the past week or two on random occasions our sites will go "down" (e.g. all packets to our sites are lost) and so does RackSpace.com. However, it is only noticeable from a few domains (mine occasionally, AOL, etc. and not at all a total blackout.) Very odd.
    Matt
    Sybase DBA / PHP fanatic
    Sybase v. MySQL v. Oracle | Why I don't like MySQL | Download Sybase TODAY! | Visit DBForums.com!

Comment

well i got a slow down the other day and rackspace said one of their clients was under an attack and it was degrading connectivity to other clients...

so that's probably what was the problem.. although my cable provider said they had network problems and upgrades which slowed my access down as well
      :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

i did a tracert on rackspace and my domains sites and when it slows down i notice the 2nd or 3rd last hop before the destination there are problems...

so it's probably a internet thing...

Comment

I've actually seen this sort of slow down problem to, and it is domain specific. Some of my users can get on and some can't.

I talked with my host (123HostMe! which is really just FastNet) and alerted them to the issue. It was a good thing I did because they discovered that someone was abusing some of their servers (I think their database server) and it was filling up their trunk.

Wow, now that's some abuse!
          http://wyrldscape.com
          Free Form Gaming with style and dedication.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X