Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Search Of New Host

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In Search Of New Host

    Our site has become slow, it gets slow about the sametime everyday(during peak hours) and we basically are only getting a few hours of use out of it daily. This is crazy to pay for something that we can't really get use out of, so we are looking to move to a new host. We are currently using "Gate.com" for the host and they charged me $15 last time I asked a question about logging in with "root" as a username, they didn't even give me an answer on what the question was. So I think it's time to pack up and go somewhere else so to speak. Our forum isn't very large, the site is down right now...of course...but when it comes back up later tonight I'm going to take a backup and then try to find a new host. What sort of information do I need to post here for everyone to recommend me a host? Thanks!

  • #2
    Just took a backup and it was 559mb, maybe that will give you an idea on what size forum I'm using. It does get a good amount of traffic for it's size, but it's pretty small: Threads: 21,794, Posts: 453,956, Members: 3,038. Maybe that will help!

    Comment


    • #3
      If you're not already on a dedicated server it looks like it is time to get one.
      Pipe Smokers Forum
      For pipe and pipe tobacco enthusiasts
      http://pipesmokersforum.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Shew, we can't afford a dedicated server. Is there any options on things to do that don't require a dedicated server?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 92GreenGT View Post
          Shew, we can't afford a dedicated server. Is there any options on things to do that don't require a dedicated server?
          Have a chat to Tim at GlobalGold:
          http://www.globalgold.co.uk

          Send him an email via the site, he is experienced at providing hosting that is specifically tailored to vBulletin sites and will get you a fair price for something that will support your needs.

          You may find a VPS (Virtual Private Server) will do and you don't actually need dedicated.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            Have a chat to Tim at GlobalGold:
            http://www.globalgold.co.uk

            Send him an email via the site, he is experienced at providing hosting that is specifically tailored to vBulletin sites and will get you a fair price for something that will support your needs.

            You may find a VPS (Virtual Private Server) will do and you don't actually need dedicated.
            Thank you! We have a VPS now, it handles everything fine. It just seems like it gets slow now, it never done this before and I don't think it's the size of the site that's causing it because the database is smaller now than it was when we moved to this VPS(pruned post, attachments, etc). I'll send him an e-mail and see what he says, does it matter that I'm in the USA and that site is in the UK?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 92GreenGT View Post
              Thank you! We have a VPS now, it handles everything fine. It just seems like it gets slow now, it never done this before and I don't think it's the size of the site that's causing it because the database is smaller now than it was when we moved to this VPS(pruned post, attachments, etc). I'll send him an e-mail and see what he says, does it matter that I'm in the USA and that site is in the UK?
              You may still benefit from a bigger, more powerful VPS.

              Tim does business worldwide so will have no problem with you being in the States.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

              TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks, sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer so so we can get swapping over.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  Have a chat to Tim at GlobalGold:
                  http://www.globalgold.co.uk

                  Send him an email via the site, he is experienced at providing hosting that is specifically tailored to vBulletin sites and will get you a fair price for something that will support your needs.

                  You may find a VPS (Virtual Private Server) will do and you don't actually need dedicated.
                  You're right, a VPS would be the next step. I guess I was a bit of a big spender when it came to someone else's cash.
                  Pipe Smokers Forum
                  For pipe and pipe tobacco enthusiasts
                  http://pipesmokersforum.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You guys have any idea why our small forum uses 100gb of bandwidth a month? Isn't that a little excessive for its size?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 92GreenGT View Post
                      You guys have any idea why our small forum uses 100gb of bandwidth a month? Isn't that a little excessive for its size?
                      Your forum is not as small as you think. Traffic again, can not be directly related to the databazse/file size.

                      From the info I have, I think you need a better configuration VPS than what you have at the moment. Obviously it is not a problem with the host, try to get more RAM.
                      Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just go for MediaTemple Host. They rock to the core. You will never regret hosting with them. vBulletin is smoother and faster than ever on their servers!
                        Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
                        Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Never heard about Gate.com I must say. I have been using PowWeb for a while now and I'm happy with their service. LunarPages and GoDaddy are good too, but PowWeb costs less money.

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X