Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Namecheap some kind of rip-off outfit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Namecheap some kind of rip-off outfit?

Almost a week ago, I signed up for an account at Namecheap in order to transfer a couple of my domains to them. I initiated the transfer process, taking great care to supply all of the necessary information at each step.

For almost a week, nothing happened. My account at Namecheap said, throughout this time, that transfer was in process and that there were no known problems.

This afternoon I received an announcement that the transfers had been cancelled!!! The excuse given is that they had not received any "email verification." Now, obviously, if I had been asked for email verification, I would have been only too happy to supply it. But I never was.

Now Namecheap proposes to continue to hold on to the money they received from my credit card account. They do not intend to refund it. They intend to keep it until I have some other use for it at Namecheap.

The only thing I wanted from Namecheap was the transfer. Apparently, they aren't going to complete the transfer, although they contracted to do so.

What gives??

An alternative explanation, I suppose, has to do with the privacy guard on the domains I want to transfer. I have the privacy protection that is offered by my webhost, as I assume most people do.

So when the transfer is initiated, Namecheap contacts the email contact for the domain -- which is the company that provides the privacy protection? And that company doesn't bother to let me know?

But privacy protection is so common . . . surely some instruction on that subject ought to be provided by Namecheap as part of the ordinary domain transfer instructions?

Comment

Hard to see if they are a ripoff since the story is one-sided. If the registrar where the names are currently provisioned denied the change than Namecheap has no control over it. As regard to the money, they most likely placed a pre-authorization on the card for the amount. This tells the card company that they might take the money in a charge but aren't ready to do so yet. This is standard operating procedure with every single credit card transaction that takes place in the world. If they don't finish the authorization and the transaction than their pre-authorization will automatically expire and the money will be released back into your account. The period it is held in pre-auth is determined by your credit card issuer. Usually its about 2 weeks.

I have never used them myself but a lot of people have and have had satisfactory support.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne, I don't believe that all your assumptions are correct.

In my correspondence with them, they have acknowledged error on their part. I must now wait, I suppose, another week to see if this time the transaction will go through properly.

Yes, I have counted on the fact that lots of people seem to have done business with them for quite a while. That was the whole reason I chose them myself. On this very board, however, someone else has reported what appears to have been a very shady dealing on their part. To read that, only two days after I opened an account with them, was not reassuring. Then, to have my simple transfers canceled a few additional days later was unnerving altogether.

Comment

Hello Baba Wawa,

Could you please provide me with some details on this issue (you can PM your Namecheap account username, domain names you were trying to transfer along with the support ticket id if any), so I could investigate and clarify everything.

In general, I would like to mention that Namecheap guarantees a risk-free transfer to its customers, thus if due to *any* reason domain transfer fails, the customer will receive his/her money back.

Anyways, once I have more info on this I will be able to explain what exactly happened in your case.

Kind regards,
          Nata T.
          Support Team Manager
          NameCheap.com

Comment

Please note that you can not confirm via this forum that NataT is actually from NameCheap. Don't provide any details via PM besides your login name to NameCheap. He or she can then (as being staff) actually contact you over your namecheap account. This way you don't risk identity theft and/or loss of your domain names.

My experience with every registrar is that codes and confirmation things are emailed to you. I remember transferring to namecheap and received great help doing so. And that I got an email for every action I took.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Please note that you can not confirm via this forum that NataT is actually from NameCheap. Don't provide any details via PM besides your login name to NameCheap. He or she can then (as being staff) actually contact you over your namecheap account. This way you don't risk identity theft and/or loss of your domain names.
              Floris, thank you very much for this important reminder!

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              My experience with every registrar is that codes and confirmation things are emailed to you. I remember transferring to namecheap and received great help doing so. And that I got an email for every action I took.
              My experience has been very different from yours.

They let a full six days pass without any communication whatsoever and then, in a true "Gotcha" fashion, notified me that the transfer had been canceled entirely. I did everything they had told me to do -- they just didn't bother to tell me one important thing; then waited six days; then canceled on me. Not a good experience at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NataT View Post
                Hello Baba Wawa,

Could you please provide me with some details on this issue (you can PM your Namecheap account username, domain names you were trying to transfer along with the support ticket id if any), so I could investigate and clarify everything.

In general, I would like to mention that Namecheap guarantees a risk-free transfer to its customers, thus if due to *any* reason domain transfer fails, the customer will receive his/her money back.

Anyways, once I have more info on this I will be able to explain what exactly happened in your case.

Kind regards,
                Nata T.
                Support Team Manager
                NameCheap.com

Thank you for your offer. I have been in contact with the Namecheap Support Team, and they have been courteous and helpful.

The cancellation, after six days of waiting, was a very unpleasant surprise. I am therefore no long sure I want to transfer the domains to Namecheap, and might well leave them where they are.

The problem apparently had to do with the privacy protection which I have so that all my information is not publicly available. The more recent instructions I received were to remove the privacy protection so that the email verification would be sent directly to me (rather than to the privacy provider?) .

However, I am not very interested in having all my personal information available on the Internet for the next six days. With possibly another cancellation to follow?

Namecheap could have notified me that there was a problem. However, they didn't.

Now they are telling me to initiate the transfer over again. However, I am not sure I want to do business with a company that did such a bad job on such a simple transaction.

Comment

Just to summarize --

I ordered the transfers through Namecheap on May 17.

Namecheap immediately sent me an email, confirming the orders of transfer and telling me that I would need to supply them with the EPP codes. They mentioned nothing else. In particular, they said nothing about any email verification.

I immediately obtained and sent in the necessary EPP codes (also on May 17).

During the next few days, I checked my Namecheap account 5 or 6 times; the account always reflected that the transfers were "in progress" and that there were "no known problems."

- - - - - - - - -

On edit: I have just visited my Namecheap account, and confirmed that they never notified me of any pending problem. In other words, they took the information on Sunday; did nothing for the next six days; and then canceled on Saturday. Thanks, guys!

For the six days from May 17 to May 23, I received nothing from Namecheap. Nothing.

On May 23, Namecheap notified me that the transfers had been canceled. The reason given was supposedly that no 'email verification' had been received.

Of course, I had never received any request for any form of email verification, and therefore could not send any. Nor did Namecheap ever notify me that any form of verification was missing.

They could not reach me to inform me that a verification was needed, but they could reach me to tell me that they had canceled the transfers? There is something quite wrong with that picture.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

On edit: I just visited my Namecheap account and confirmed that Namecheap had made no effort to contact me as to any pending problems. In other words, I gave them my information on Sunday; they assured me that would perform the transfers; they did nothing for the next six days; and then they canceled. Thanks, guys!
                  Last edited by Baba Wawa; Sun 24th May '09, 1:44pm.

Comment

This is why I transferred my last domain AWAY from them last week. I found a MUCH cheaper and better alternative. Namecheap was great when they were new. However, their customer base is so large now, that they can't support it properly anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                      Thank you for your offer. I have been in contact with the Namecheap Support Team, and they have been courteous and helpful.

The cancellation, after six days of waiting, was a very unpleasant surprise. I am therefore no long sure I want to transfer the domains to Namecheap, and might well leave them where they are.

The problem apparently had to do with the privacy protection which I have so that all my information is not publicly available. The more recent instructions I received were to remove the privacy protection so that the email verification would be sent directly to me (rather than to the privacy provider?) .

However, I am not very interested in having all my personal information available on the Internet for the next six days. With possibly another cancellation to follow?

Namecheap could have notified me that there was a problem. However, they didn't.

Now they are telling me to initiate the transfer over again. However, I am not sure I want to do business with a company that did such a bad job on such a simple transaction.
                      Hello Baba Wawa,

I'm really sorry you had such an experience with NameCheap. We always try and do our best to keep our customers happy and satisfied.

Domain transfer process is described on our site with detailed instructions towards what should be done to have the domain transferred successfully: https://www.namecheap.com/learn/tran...er-process.asp

Should you decide stay a customer of ours we will try to do a better job for you in future.

Kind regards,
                      Nata T.
                      Support Team Manager
                      NameCheap.com

Comment

I have had no problems with namecheap, and have had them for years.

Comment

This afternoon I received an announcement that the transfers had been cancelled!!! The excuse given is that they had not received any "email verification." Now, obviously, if I had been asked for email verification, I would have been only too happy to supply it. But I never was.
                          This is not namecheap's problem, but your own here. As a namecheap customer for 3 years, I can't say the transfer process is always smooth, but they never failed to send me the authorization emails .

Namecheap has some of the best support in the industry. If you really want to bring the matter to someone's attention, go to webhostingtalk and open up a thread. You'll see just how fast Richard (namecheap's owner) gets back with you. Of course, you shouldn't have to go that far, I absolutely agree, but sometimes it is necessary to do these things to get someone's attention.

More than likely, what happened was the email got caught in some sort of a spam trap. Now, is that Namecheap's problem? No, that's yours.

I can say with certainty, though, that NC is definitely not a rip off outfit. I've been using, and recommending, them, for around 3, 4 years now. They've never once failed me, and provide pretty decent and competitive pricing

Comment

Originally posted by hosting-talk View Post
                            This is not namecheap's problem, but your own here.
                            More than likely, what happened was the email got caught in some sort of a spam trap. Now, is that Namecheap's problem? No, that's yours.

Nice try, HT, but no cigar.

You shouldn't attempt to speak so authoritatively when you know so little about the actual transaction.

If you're saying that NC is an honest company, fine. That's good to hear. But your ill-informed and erroneous diagnosis has no place here.

Comment

your ill-informed and erroneous diagnosis has no place here.
                              The exact same can be said about your attempts to tear down and insult a reputable company. The only difference? I actually have experience dealing with systems. The top reason mail doesn't get to you? Spam filters. That's not the company's fault, that's your own.

The email was sent, but it never got to you. Well, that's not namecheap's problem. Just because they're going to admit wrong doesn't mean they WERE wrong. Of course, that's just you saying they admitted they were wrong, and you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X