Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domains - leave at old host? transfer? what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domains - leave at old host? transfer? what to do?

I've recently switched to a new host for my websites. I still have 8 domain registrations, however, at my old host. I have two questions.

(1) I want to close my account with my old host. However, will this cause me any problem a few months down the road when I want to transfer my domain registrations from the old host to the new host?

The old host is a reputable hosting company (BlueHost) - but is there any problem about transferring domains even a couple of months after you've closed your account and you're no longer a customer?

(2) When I raised the issue of transferring domains here a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that he keeps his domain registrations with a different company than his webhost. That seemed like possibly a good idea.

- - - -

On edit: I found a company called My Domain (http://www.mydomain.com) that looks like a possibility. Anyone know anything about them?
    Last edited by Baba Wawa; Thu 14 May '09, 11:25am.

Move your domain to namecheap.com so you're in control.
    So it doesn't matter where you host your site.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks, Floris.

Comment

check my twitter, i've posted a coupon code to make transfers a bit cheaper.

Comment

Floris, thank you again. I've just initiated the transfer of my two main domains at namecheap. The coupon you posted on twitter gives a 30% discount, enabling me to save $5+ . Total for two transfers, with free privacy protection = $14. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
            Just thought to make you guys aware of the recent Namecheap incidence :

Namecheap.com Make me LOSE 2 best DOMAINS

Note:- If posting url is against the forum rules then please feel free to remove the url.

Comment

Sorry to hear that their system failed to inform you the registration failed. This is a fault on their part and in my eyes you have legal right to the domains on a first come first go basis, you can fight for ownership of the domain in court, but that's separate from namecheap, they're just an involved party. Secondly you can perhaps claim damages caused by this as their system obviously failed to provide you with clear information that the order failed and instead let you to believe it was properly registered and even got your money.

I don't have this experience. I had a negative experience, but got it resolved after publicly putting them on the spot and got to talk to non outsourced support guys.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X