Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back-ups - What if my Host Goes Bankrupt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-ups - What if my Host Goes Bankrupt!

I use an established and reputable hosting company who provide good technical support, for my VB forum. But I've just had a frightening thought, prompted by a question on my forum.

What would happen if my host went bankrupt and disappeared overnight? I'd be left with nothing.

What steps should I take now to ensure that I could get my forum back up and running, should such an unfortunate event happen in the future?

Can anyone please point me to a VB tutorial explaining what data I need to back-up and how to do it?

Thanks!
    Fergal Crawley
    Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Backup your database and make sure to keep a copy offsite along with all your other vbulletin files (including all images/attachments/avatars/etc).

Check the manual for backup info regarding your database.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I've currently setup so that the server backs up each account every 6 hours to an FTP server at home You might like to try the setup. The FTP server is backed up daily onto another server at home - therefore, I can't really lose the data. Oh yeah, I've got about 6 UPS systems for this... I have other servers as well.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

some people are much too paranoïde
        Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

Good question. I know a guy who had something very similar happen to him. Complete disk failure. His ISP could not recover and did not back up his data. Chit happens.

It is very important to have copies of your DB off the server that is hosting your forum. You can always get the VB files from here on VB if you needed to, or when you first downloaded them if you kept a copy of the .zip file you got them there. A copy of your config.php showing your current settings would also be handy. Like Lynne said, you also will need any smilies or other site spcific images / logos you have added.

All you need is SSH access to your server. If you have SSH then SCP will work for downloading the files to your local workstation.

I have a cron job back up my database twice a day and store copies on the server. About every week I will download one of the backups to get it off the server. I really should come up with an automated way to get it off the server and that is in the works but not in place yet.
          http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

Comment

a script dumps the database to the same drive (and removes everything older than 30 days)

another script at another time copies the database over to the second drive, in case of failure (and removes everything older than 30 days)

and I manually download the .sql.tar.gz dump once a week to my local computer here at home (i consider this offsite - and once a year when i feel like it, I throw away the last year to make room)

--

The same goes for the file system, the /home/* gets dumped to the backup drive, and rotated, and once a month I get the file system .tar.gz to my local system.

Comment

I have a cron job invoke a script which uses rsync to backup the database and attachments folder every day. The database is on a one week rotation schedule.

I also use a rsync to make a backup to an off-site location so that I have all the data as well as the attachments safely stored.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies.

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                Backup your database and make sure to keep a copy offsite along with all your other vbulletin files (including all images/attachments/avatars/etc).

Check the manual for backup info regarding your database.
                I've checked the manual and have figured out how to backup the databases onto the server.

Originally posted by ct2k7 View Post
                I've currently setup so that the server backs up each account every 6 hours to an FTP server at home...
                Sounds ideal, would you by any chance have a link to a tutorial that explains how to do that?

Originally posted by Orp View Post
                ...All you need is SSH access to your server. If you have SSH then SCP will work for downloading the files to your local workstation.

I have a cron job back up my database twice a day and store copies on the server...
                Sounds good, again do you know of any tutorials or is this something my host should do for me?

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                ...I manually download the .sql.tar.gz dump once a week to my local computer here at home (i consider this offsite - and once a year when i feel like it, I throw away the last year to make room)

--

The same goes for the file system, the /home/* gets dumped to the backup drive, and rotated, and once a month I get the file system .tar.gz to my local system.
                How would I do that?

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                I have a cron job invoke a script which uses rsync to backup the database and attachments folder every day. The database is on a one week rotation schedule.

I also use a rsync to make a backup to an off-site location so that I have all the data as well as the attachments safely stored.
                Is there an easy way for a non-technical person to do that?
                Fergal Crawley
                Business Advice Forum

Forum Promotion

Comment

What type of media would be acceptable to receive the backup in, and take to another webhost if needed? Would it be on CD's, DVD's or other?

We are thinking about upgrading to the latest version of vBulletin, should I ask for a backup before and after the upgrade, or both?

Comment

Originally posted by dana2 View Post
                    What type of media would be acceptable to receive the backup in, and take to another webhost if needed? Would it be on CD's, DVD's or other?
                    Neither. Typically, you'll either backup to a different server or to your local computer. Then you'll restore the data to your new server from there. There's no need for the physical exchange of a storage medium.

Comment

Worst case scenario, if your entire site goes kaput for whatever reason, here is what I recommend in order to be prepared to immediately restore your site to a new host:

1. Make regular full backups
                      2. Download those full backups off-server regularly
                      3. Register your domain with a company that is not also your host
                      4. Maintain DNS separately from your host with a very low TTL setting.

Then, if your host disappears all you would need to do is:

1. Get a new host
                      2. Point your domain to your new IP (with a low TTL setting this change can be as quick as 5 minutes rather than the 48-72 hours that many hosts use for propagation time)
                      3. Restore your site from backup to the new host

If everything including hosting, domain registration, DNS & etc is provided by your host - then if they ever shutdown without warning you could end up with a major hassle getting your site back online quickly on your domain. But, even in that scenario you could still restore to a different domain in a short amount of time and then just email your members to let them know of the temporary change until you recover your domain from the host.
                      ...john2k...

Comment

A few years ago, I used to run a cron/daily process that would backup to a inexpensive geographically-diverse server. There are some gotchas to be aware of, but it does offer some protection if a service provider isn't being your advocate.
                        Shawn

Comment

Apart from local backup, use the service of a backup host (I bqbackup) to automatically take daily, weekly and monthly backups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X