X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hosting-talk
    replied
    Eric hit it right on the nose here.

On my own , I generate between 100-200 Queries a Second (so says mysql), monitoring probably 30+ servers, running decent sized forums, it adds up quickly.

Do I ever see more than 5 connections logged? No, actually, I don't.
    If you need more than 25 connections, you've got major issues and should have your own server, and a slightly dedicated staff to handle them.

Leave a comment:

• EricM
    replied
    I own a small hosting business, I do not provide phone support.
    I get the odd customer requesting it but its not really an issue.

The OP should pay less attention to phone support and more to why you think you need more then 20 connections.

A mysql connection takes a fraction of a second to complete, you can have hundreds of users on your forum at the same time and never hit this limit.

If you are really needing more then 20 connections because you have thousands of users online, your site is too big and you need a dedicated server.

Leave a comment:

• hosting-talk
    replied
    Non Emergency telephone support is unnecessary, and often takes more time to get issues resolved, costing the company more money, than, say a ticketed solution.

Of course, emergency phone support should be provided (true emergencies, such as my server is down, NOT fake emergencies, such as "my script doesn't work any more"), but too many people have abused that over the years, escallating their fake emergencies (see above example) just because they need to feel important.

When it comes down to it, phone support is good, it lets people know they can talk to someone immediately if an emergency comes up, but too many people abuse phone support, and use it to try to get prioritized support for their own minimal issues that could just as easily have been resolved in a ticket

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
    So, gentlemen, may I ask which host you get your telephone support from?
    Hostgator... usually they answer in 5 minutes at the most.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    I use http://www.realwebhost.com

Normally I use their support ticket but sometimes I need to speak with them,

Leave a comment:

• Baba Wawa
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Telephone is very important to me.
    Sometimes email and support tickets are fine, but when there is a meltdown, there is no time to wait for tickets to be filled or emails to respond to.

With some of my earlier hosts several years ago, I felt like I was waiting for some kid to get home from school to answer my support ticket. That might be fine for $9.99/month.
    My thoughts exactly.

No phone support, no buy, for almost any product.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    In my search, I've placed quite a lot of importance on the availability of telephone support.
    Originally posted by James-A View Post
    A well established web hosting company offers 24x7x365 support through Email, Live Chat and Phone. All these three modes of contact are very important because some clients prefer email and some clients prefer Phone or Live chat support. Response time to phone and live chat is faster than the email support.
    Telephone is very important to me.
    Sometimes email and support tickets are fine, but when there is a meltdown, there is no time to wait for tickets to be filled or emails to respond to.

With some of my earlier hosts several years ago, I felt like I was waiting for some kid to get home from school to answer my support ticket. That might be fine for $9.99/month.

Leave a comment:

• James-A
    replied
    A well established web hosting company offers 24x7x365 support through Email, Live Chat and Phone. All these three modes of contact are very important because some clients prefer email and some clients prefer Phone or Live chat support. Response time to phone and live chat is faster than the email support.

Leave a comment:

• Baba Wawa
    replied
    Thank you, Calisto, for your reply.

For better or for worse, when no one replied initially, I went ahead and signed up with DownTownHost. So far the written support has worked well enough. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It depends on your knowledge and how well you use email and other social media tools. I haven't had a reason to call a web hosting company ever. Some people feel more comfortable on the phone.

Leave a comment:

• Calisto
    replied
    I'm also new in all of this exept vBulletin. (running the board and the admincp)
    My forum is online for about 4 years but this is the first time that i am on my own.
    And you can't believe how many phonecalls i have done in the past 3 months to my host.
    Since februari my forum gets frequent visits from a hacker and everytime my hoster explains something via e-mail i don't understand (and thats alot) i just call him so he can explain it better to me.
    I can call my host from 8am to 23pm and have e-mail support from 8am to 3am.
    For me it is easier to just pik up the phone and call them.

Leave a comment:

• Baba Wawa
    started a topic How important is telephone support?

How important is telephone support?

I'm trying to find a web host that I'll be able to remain with for a number of years. In my search, I've placed quite a lot of importance on the availability of telephone support.

I nearly signed up with Hostgator, which does offer telephone support, but have pretty much decided against, because they only do weekly back-ups and because they limit you to 25 simultaneous MySQL connections.

I'm looking very seriously now at DownTownHost. They permit up to 50 simultaneous MySQL connections and do nightly back-ups. However, they do not offer telephone support. Support is solely through the Helpdesk ticket system (and possibly through Live Chat - not sure about that).

I'm new to almost everything -- MySQL, phpMyAdmin, vBulletin, the whole lot, and am often very confused. How important do you think telephone support is?

Given the other things that DTH offers, will I be okay with them even without phone support?