Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fees for transferring domains to new host?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fees for transferring domains to new host?

I've been wanting for some weeks to transfer my domains to a new host. My current host is fine but, by its own admission, not very favorable to vBulletin forums.

After weeks of anxiety-filled research, I had all-but-decided to go with Gigapros.com. Today, however, Gigapros.com has informed me that they will charge me $10-12 for each domain that I transfer to my proposed new account with them.

The only thing involved in such transfers is changing the DNS information. When I transferred from my old host to BlueHost a few months ago, the entire transfer process cost me NOTHING. I got the necessary information from the old host and sent it to BlueHost. BlueHost charged me absolutely nothing for making the necessary changes.

At this point, I own four domains that each have a little bit of associated content, and six domains that have absolutely no content associated with them. I certainly do not want to have to pay $100-120 to transfer these domains -- especially the domains which I do not use now, and might never use.

Does your host charge for domain transfer? I'm sure there are hosts that do not.

(Note: I am referring only to domain-transfer, not to transfer of content.)

One partial solution would be, I think, to "park" these domains somewhere, either in a non-monetized or monetized way. Can anyone suggest how I might go about that?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Why don't you just point your domain to your new hosts. I have all of my domains managed by a different company than who I host with. I would only get a plan that allows unlimited domain hosting. Have you considered urljet? They are pretty highly recommended on here, and the plans don't look too shabby either. If so, why have you decided to go with gigapros?
    I love lamp

Comment

Originally posted by Redseal View Post
      Why don't you just point your domain to your new hosts. I have all of my domains managed by a different company than who I host with. I would only get a plan that allows unlimited domain hosting. Have you considered urljet? They are pretty highly recommended on here, and the plans don't look too shabby either. If so, why have you decided to go with gigapros?
      Hi, Redseal, and thank you for your reply. I've read about urljet here, but they do charge quite a bit more and it's never been clear to me whether or not they do only vBulletin hosting or whether they host other applications too.

I don't feel too comfortable in general with the whole domain/hosting experience and have hoped to find a simple solution, such as having everything all at one place.

Do you mind if I ask who you have manage your domains? I assume there is a fee for that?

Please don't misunderstand me -- I'm not necessarily looking for rock-bottom prices at all. Over the course of a year, though, there is quite a bit of difference between $5.95 a month and $24.95 a month. Seems like I should be able to find something in the middle that would be reliable and give decent support.

Comment

In any case, let me make it clear that I will not be going with Gigapros. My first interaction with them was perfectly horrible.
        Last edited by Baba Wawa; Thu 16 Apr '09, 5:27pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
          In any case, let me make it clear that I will not be going with Gigapros. My first interaction with them was perfectly horrible.
          I don't want to divert this thread but I would like to publicly post our full discussion with "Baba Wawa" and will leave it to vBulletin forum members to decide where it went horrible -- http://www.gigapros.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190
          GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
          ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
          FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
          We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

"Gigapros.com" doesn't want to divert the thread, but that is precisely what "Gigapros.com" has done.

I think that is probably unprecedented, and is almost certainly very improper of "Gigapros.com." I will be asking vBulletin about it.

Here are some problems with "Gigapros.com" that have emerged in just this one brief episode:

(1) I had to ask my simple question five different times before they finally got it. Only then did they answer it correctly-- after having repeatedly given me erroneous advice and information.
            (2) They came in here to take issue with the one brief sentence in which I sought to share information with my fellow vBulletin owners.
            (3) Even then, they were more interested in making me the issue than they were in providing correct information about the ultimate topic. (Inaccurate information, supplied by them to me, still exists in this thread. However, they ignore that, in their eagerness to make me the issue.)

With so many other choices out there, why would you want to do business with a company like this?
            Last edited by Baba Wawa; Thu 16 Apr '09, 9:31pm.

Comment

That's a common misunderstanding with that term, when you asked them for the domain transfer, we (hosts in general) take that as a change of the domain registrar, which it does have a cost involved to the host, even if some absorb it, in another hand, the change of your nameservers/DNS is free, but if you have your domain registered with your old host I suggest you to transfer of registrar, even if you don't do it with your new host, otherwise you'll need to wait until the domain expire and came back to the market which takes +60 days for sure.
              Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
              LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

Originally posted by Jedito View Post
                That's a common misunderstanding with that term, when you asked them for the domain transfer, we (hosts in general) take that as a change of the domain registrar, which it does have a cost involved to the host, even if some absorb it, in another hand, the change of your nameservers/DNS is free, but if you have your domain registered with your old host I suggest you to transfer of registrar, even if you don't do it with your new host, otherwise you'll need to wait until the domain expire and came back to the market which takes +60 days for sure.

Thanks, Jedito. I appreciate your suggestion. Please note, though, that if it's a "common misunderstanding," then Gigapros.com support should have been able to answer my question on the first, second, third or fourth try. I should not have to spend my time searching for the exact phrase, the "Open Sesame," that will make the door swing open. (Nor should they be giving out erroneous advice based on their own misunderstandings.) The truth emerged in the end, only because I refused to give up.

Comment

Please take this to the appropriate support venue for Gigapros. Thank you.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X