Shared vs VPS Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared vs VPS Hosting

Hi all I wanted to get some advice on moving from a Shared server to a VPS. I've been using asmallorange for a while now and have been very happy with their customer service, but I think my site may have outgrown being on a shared server. I am forever going over the limit on max_user_connections. Otherwise bandwith and space-wise we're okay.

I'm just not sure that VPS is something that I can handle on my own - I know how to run a query lol, but I don't know if I can handle managing the server as I've never done that before.

Can anyone give any guidance on what you need to be able to do to handle it, or have any tips they could share? I just don't want to trade one problem for a whole mess of other ones.

Thanks

Much like learning to ride a bike, a little scary at first but you quickly learn all the bits, if you want to.

I use a managed vps at www.servint.net where you can do as much or as little server management as you feel comfortable with. If you need something done, the support techs will do it for you without fuss.

They run a great support forum (vB of course) for people who like to tweak bits and pieces and spread tips and tricks.

Bottom line though, it's great to have full control over your server and adjust whatever you need to do yourself
    Lats...

Comment

If you are not comfortable managing a VPS yourself, get a fully managed VPS. You can also consider Semi-Dedicated hosting, which is actually an easy shared hosting, but with much less people sharing the same server.
      GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
      ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
      FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
      We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

I'd suggest you to opt for a fully managed VPS with cPanel or Plesk control panel. Through control panel you will be able to manage your website effectively and the VPS hosting provider will take care of security monitoring, installing, compiling and maintaining the standard server application/software package, latest security updates, Spam filter, virus-protection, technical support etc.

Comment

I'd go with a managed VPS also.
          I went from a shared to VPS and support has been exactly then same.
          Great!
          ...steven
          www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
          bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
          "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

It also depends on the guaranteed RAM you have on VPS. I would recommend you to consider a VPS with atleast 512 MB RAM.
            Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
            Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone Much appreciated

Comment

You are most welcome.

If you have any further questions please feel free to post here.

Comment

I've been using KnownHost for my VPS for about a year now and I can't say enough just how pleased I've been with them. I was getting downtime left and right on the shared server because of too many connections and since the switch over to KnownHost, I haven't had even a second of downtime.

When I moved over to them I used a company called websitemovers. Ryan there was great and helped get everything setup on the new server. I haven't had to touch a thing (other than backing up the DB which is super simple) on the server since the initial setup.

KnownHost's cost is a little steep, but trust me it's WELL worth it. Anytime I have a question, no matter how newb sounding it is, they're always willing to help me out with instructions on how to do something or at the very least point me in the right direction to learn about the stuff on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by sweeps78 View Post
                    I've been using KnownHost for my VPS for about a year now and I can't say enough just how pleased I've been with them. I was getting downtime left and right on the shared server because of too many connections and since the switch over to KnownHost, I haven't had even a second of downtime.

When I moved over to them I used a company called websitemovers. Ryan there was great and helped get everything setup on the new server. I haven't had to touch a thing (other than backing up the DB which is super simple) on the server since the initial setup.

KnownHost's cost is a little steep, but trust me it's WELL worth it. Anytime I have a question, no matter how newb sounding it is, they're always willing to help me out with instructions on how to do something or at the very least point me in the right direction to learn about the stuff on my own.
                    Another big vote of confidence for KnownHost. I've been with them for over 2 years now, and have never had a bad experience.

- Justin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X