Need server help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need server help

I'm looking to downgrade dedicated server to save on expenses. I think the dedicated server I'm on now is overkill anyways.
    We might get 5000 or so uniques a day.

I'm looking at two dedicated servers and want to ask if the Intel Pentium4 2.4 would be a lot faster or noticeably faster than the Intel Celeron 2.4
    I'd like to go with the Intel if it isn't a noticeable difference. Both servers have 1gb ram.

Thanks

Yes, Intel Pentium4 2.4 is faster than a celeron 2.4 . However, Both CPU are way out of date.

I believe you like to go with a low-end cpu to save cost. You can go with Core2duo e6550 or better. This is so much better than the pentinum series and yet conserve power as well. Couple with 1GB ram. You are good to go.

Comment

Intel Pentium4 2.4 would be faster than Celeron 2.4 but like rolypoly I'd too suggest you to go for Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo series servers.

The Intel Pentium series of processors are a stand alone single processing unit without any virtual add-on processing capacity. On the other hand, a Core 2 Duo CPU would have a standalone processor and two "cores"i.e. virtual computing capacity units which give it a far better ability to crunch data and process it for you when compared to a pentium server.
      Last edited by James-A; Wed 10th Dec '08, 8:59am.

Comment

Any suggestion on where I can find a server like mentioned for under $125 per month with Cpanel?
        I'm paying $180 now and with the economy the way it is I fear I may loose a few sponsors.

A server that can handle maybe 5000 uniques a day and a database of over 107,000kb with maybe 30 active users online.

Thanks

Comment

Cpanel by itself is going to cost $25-30 a month for the server company..

107000kb = 107mb?

Comment

Yes, the database is probably over 107mb. I'm paying $35 per month now for the Cpanel
            Think I can get something Reliable & unmanaged for the amount I quoted? Where??? My current host doesn't offer "unmanaged".
            Last edited by Treasure Quest; Wed 10th Dec '08, 8:29am.

Comment

yup. most likely an unmanaged server for that budget.

Comment

Any specific server location ?

Comment

Anywhere in the U.S is fine.

Comment

As per your budget you might get a plain Linux dedicated server but for cPanel dedicated server you will need to raise your budget by few more $$. We all are aware of the cPanel license cost.

Comment

I guess I could use Plesk? or something else.

Comment

I've used Cari.Net in the past for temporary needs. They have their quirks, but it's inexpensive.

You might consider a VPS Solution. I've heard good things about MediaTemple.Net but haven't used them myself.
                        Shawn

Comment

Last year I was on hostforwebs highest VPS plan and my forum was pretty slow. It's not a big forum either. Maybe 20 or 30 on in the evenings with almost 6000 members. Maybe I need my mysql database optimized? Currently I'm using 13702.88 Megabytes of bandwidth
                          Last edited by Treasure Quest; Thu 11th Dec '08, 5:58pm.

Comment

13702.88MB per month or per day, if it is per month then you can easily use a VPS account for this.

As for servers, check out iweb, they have a core2duo for US$ 99 a month and cpanel is US$20 a month.

Comment

On average I use around 36 GB bandwidth per month...give or take. Could a VPS server still handle this along with my demanding sql database? I know the one I was on last year could not.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X