Suggest a host for me? (with numbers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggest a host for me? (with numbers)

Hi, I'm currently running my forum in Lunarpages, I've been there almost two years now. They were a good host for the most part. (Aside from a little downtime here and there, and one hard disk failure that left me with a corrupted database, and they charged me for a copy of their backup. Not cool.)

Anyway, I just got a message from them saying that my account was using too much resources. They chmodded showthread.php to 000 and changed ownership so I couldn't fix it. After I turned off some plugins and features in vB, then enabled the script again. That was yesterday, today they emailed me and said I was using more CPU than before!

I guess I've simply outgrown their shared hosting. Can someone recommend a cheap reliable host based on the figure I've got?

Members - 4,870
    Threads - 22,719
    Posts - 335,501
    Average about 500 members logging in per day for the past few months.
    Average about 35 new threads/day over the past few months.
    Average about 500 new posts/day over the past few months.
    I'm using 3GB of disk space, MySQL is using 390MB.
    Bandwidth is about 150-200GB/month over the past year.

Thanks in advance!
    -Keith

They have a corrupted disk and couldn't recover your data.. yet they still charge you to retrieve backup? Definitely ridiculous . I guess they like money more than seeing your site back in one piece.

From your stats, you are running a medium sized vbulletin board. If budget allow, your best bet is to get a dedicated server.

I don't think a VPS will help. A dedicated server is more suitable, imo.

Average dedicated server cost between $100-$200 a month. If you do not know how to manage a server, it will be best to hire a server management company.. they charge $30-40/mo.

The best bang for the bucks is get a Fully managed dedicated server. Have the webhost manage the server for you as well.

Comment

From your stats, it looks like you need either a high-end Semi-Dedicated server OR a low-end dedicated server.
      GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
      ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
      FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
      We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

Have you any addon or hack installed? how many visitors at the same time do you have in average and peaks?
        Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
        LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

We had a few addons installed, but disabling them didn't help much if at all.

The most users ever online at one time was 914, though the usual is closer to 150-200 most of the time.

We've gone with the VPS package for vBulletin at Globalgold. I'm working out the last few details with Tim, and should be moved soon.

Lunarpages let us back online, with search.php disabled. We've been running like this for the past few days without any complaints from them so far. Once we've moved we should be back to normal.

Comment

Oh, yes, with those numbers you need at least a VPS.
            Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
            LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

Hi Keith,

You have chosen the right hosting package.

A VPS would give you more reliability and room to expand.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

I must also say that Tim at Globalgold is great to work with, much more helpful and polite than any other support people I've dealt with in the past with any host.

All the things you read about the personal touch are true, I'm very happy thus far! The migration to the new server should happen any time now, then we'll be back to normal and ready to keep pushing forward.

Comment

Make sure you get enough ram on that vps or you will be worst off then you were.

Joey
                  Real Web Host

Comment

384 MB RAM would be enough.

Comment

If you are using cpanel it will struggle with 384.

Joey
                      Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by KeithLuneau View Post
                        Hi, I'm currently running my forum in Lunarpages, I've been there almost two years now. They were a good host for the most part. (Aside from a little downtime here and there, and one hard disk failure that left me with a corrupted database, and they charged me for a copy of their backup. Not cool.)

Anyway, I just got a message from them saying that my account was using too much resources. They chmodded showthread.php to 000 and changed ownership so I couldn't fix it. After I turned off some plugins and features in vB, then enabled the script again. That was yesterday, today they emailed me and said I was using more CPU than before!

I guess I've simply outgrown their shared hosting. Can someone recommend a cheap reliable host based on the figure I've got?

Members - 4,870
                        Threads - 22,719
                        Posts - 335,501
                        Average about 500 members logging in per day for the past few months.
                        Average about 35 new threads/day over the past few months.
                        Average about 500 new posts/day over the past few months.
                        I'm using 3GB of disk space, MySQL is using 390MB.
                        Bandwidth is about 150-200GB/month over the past year.

Thanks in advance!
                        -Keith
                        You probably would want to go with Rackspace.com

They are expensive, but they are very good, and reliable as well

Comment

Do not over pay for rackspace, there are other very good companies out there that are alot less and have the same or better support time.

Joey
                          Real Web Host

Comment

Originally posted by express View Post
                            If you are using cpanel it will struggle with 384.

Joey

The new WHM 11.24.2 will work fine with 384mb ram on a vps. Dont want to go any lower then that though.

Comment

We have many sites that use vbulletin, "MANY" and I will tell you that if a vbulletin gets active and is uses cpanel that it will come to a crawl with 384 megs of ram. I talk with nick at cpanel on daily basis and have used it for 10 years so we know about how it plays with cpanel..

Joey
                              Real Web Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X