How To Backup MySQL Database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Backup MySQL Database?

I have been backing up my forum through my hosting cPanel (HostGator) which downloads to my hard drive in a WinZip file. I want to upgrade to 3.7.4 from 3.7.2 but want to make sure that I can upload all the files from the current board and not lose any data/content. So how do I go about backing up the forum before doing the upgrade?
    4th F-Body | Norcal 4x4 Forum | Norcal GM

The best way is SSH backup.

Look the instruction here.
    vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
    vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve Machol :

The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

Restore:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ce_ssh_restore

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:
      http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/index.php

MySQLHotxcopy:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...t=mysqlhotcopy

Regards,
      Slappy

Comment

ok a lot of that is like a foreign language to me... can i just download the public_html folder through SmartFTP to my hard drive and then re-upload that folder once the upgrade has been complete?

Comment

I'm a newbie myself, but you can't just download the FTP files because that only contains the files to the vbulletin program and also avatars and photos if you store them there. The database has to be backed up separately, that holds all your posts and member information etc.

I also have hostgator and they do offer SSH access, but you have to contact them and have enable it. I had never ever before performed a backup using SSH but the direction offered in the vbulletin manuel worked perfectly! If I can do it, anyone can. Admitedly, it did take me like hours to figure out how to do it since I had no clue what SSH was and logging in and staring at a blank screen with prompt can be quite intimidating and confusing.

so remember to back up both, the database AND the ftp files.

Comment

Originally posted by huntopia View Post
            I'm a newbie myself, but you can't just download the FTP files because that only contains the files to the vbulletin program and also avatars and photos if you store them there. The database has to be backed up separately, that holds all your posts and member information etc.

I also have hostgator and they do offer SSH access, but you have to contact them and have enable it. I had never ever before performed a backup using SSH but the direction offered in the vbulletin manuel worked perfectly! If I can do it, anyone can. Admitedly, it did take me like hours to figure out how to do it since I had no clue what SSH was and logging in and staring at a blank screen with prompt can be quite intimidating and confusing.

so remember to back up both, the database AND the ftp files.
            well i made a ticket with host gator and they just told me to do what I've been doing and then do a full back (FTP) as well and the "backup" through cPanel is for MySQL database which loads to my hard drive and I can restore whenever

Comment

Remember that you will lose all your special file permission when you download it thru FTP. When you upload it back thru FTP, it may revert to default permission.
              GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
              ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
              FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
              We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

The way i back up my thing, is to go into the CPanel (If you have it) and go into the mysql database "phpmyadmin" then export your database in whatever format it gives,

Then you can just simply "import" if you need to revert to it at a later stage.
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

phpmyadmin makes a "php" backup and had the same issues of possible timeouts that other php based backups do.

It is not the same as a "MySQL" backup and should not be confused with doing it the way it is recommended.

Regards,
                  Slappy

Comment

You can always request that your host do the backup and place it in your home folder for you. Host should also be able to make a copy of your db and place on your site where you can login with phpmyadmin and look at it before you do the upgrade.

Joey
                    Real Web Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X