2 weeks up and already need new host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks up and already need new host

Paid for 1 year with iPower shared. Thank god they have a 30-day guarantee because I am having problems with them. I have 200 members, so far average users online are 15-20. Again we are only 2 weeks old. Ive been having horrible response times, and mySQL max_user_connection errors. Checked and the max_user_connections is 10, the host said that they would not upgrade that. Also the IP seems to be blacklisted on alot of email services like AOL and gmail (my confirmation emails go right to spam or never get deliviered)

I see there are alot of hostgator fans on here. What plan would you recommend for me?

2 weeks old
    200 users (increases by about 3-5 per day)
    10-15 online concurrently (this should increase)
    using about 20MB of space
    2.46GB bandwidth used since Nov 5
    Last edited by phforum; Mon 17 Nov '08, 6:23am.

Try these:
    hostgator
    Godaddy
    1and1 hosting
    surpasshost

Comment

im leaning toward hostgator but id like some suggestions on package types

Comment

Originally posted by phforum View Post
        im leaning toward hostgator but id like some suggestions on package types
        Host Gator is pretty awesome hosting company so far. I've been with them 6 months on their small package with an average size vBulletin forum, and quite a few wordpress blogs (all highly optimized though) getting about 500-700 unqiues daily on each one and never had a single problem

Comment

This shouldn't create any problem with any shared hosting unless the server is REALLY overloaded. Have you tried asking iPower to move your site to a non-crowded server? Whi know, they might help.
          GigaPros.com -- vBulletin Optimized Hosting with LiteSpeed!
          ZERO Overselling Enforced WebHosting. SEE HOW…
          FREE Site Transfer |24x7 True Support (Phone, Chat, Tickets)
          We host high traffic vB. See this example with 1.5 Millon posts!

Comment

The issue is the server's IP is blacklisted at major anti-spam databases.

Few more hosts you may consider:
            mxhub.com
            hostmagix.com

Comment

Originally posted by seoVB View Post
              Host Gator is pretty awesome hosting company so far. I've been with them 6 months on their small package with an average size vBulletin forum, and quite a few wordpress blogs (all highly optimized though) getting about 500-700 unqiues daily on each one and never had a single problem
              small package? is that a shared package or reseller?

Originally posted by rolypoly View Post
              The issue is the server's IP is blacklisted at major anti-spam databases.

Few more hosts you may consider:
              mxhub.com
              hostmagix.com
              yup thats what i figured. anyone have problems wit mails from hostgator IP's?

Originally posted by gigapros View Post
              This shouldn't create any problem with any shared hosting unless the server is REALLY overloaded. Have you tried asking iPower to move your site to a non-crowded server? Whi know, they might help.
              Yea i'd rather just switch to a more reputable host, their cpanel sucks, and I've already asked them for help with the DB to whcich I got 0 help

Also, why is it that when you post for help in this section you get PM spam from people telling you they'll host your site? lol just thought it was funny

Comment

Paid for 1 year with iPower shared. Thank god they have a 30-day guarantee because I am having problems with them. I have 200 members, so far average users online are 15-20. Again we are only 2 weeks old. Ive been having horrible response times, and mySQL max_user_connection errors. Checked and the max_user_connections is 10, the host said that they would not upgrade that. Also the IP seems to be blacklisted on alot of email services like AOL and gmail (my confirmation emails go right to spam or never get deliviered)

I see there are alot of hostgator fans on here. What plan would you recommend for me?

2 weeks old
                200 users (increases by about 3-5 per day)
                You can consider any shared hosting package and upgrade as per your requirement grows. You can consider any easy upgrade hosting plan
                Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
                Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

Also, why is it that when you post for help in this section you get PM spam from people telling you they'll host your site? lol just thought it was funny
                  I didn't think that was allowed here.

You should probably report them to the moderators.

Thanks,
                  James
                  If you read it online, it must be true.

Comment

phforum, I am wanting to start a small community, how much did it cost you to set up yours? I only ask because I have little computer knowledge and think I am being ripped off by a company asking for $2k to set up a VB forum . Is it normal to pay someone that sort of money or do most people have enough experience with computers to do it themselves?
                    Thankyou.

Comment

Originally posted by tacklebox View Post
                      phforum, I am wanting to start a small community, how much did it cost you to set up yours? I only ask because I have little computer knowledge and think I am being ripped off by a company asking for $2k to set up a VB forum . Is it normal to pay someone that sort of money or do most people have enough experience with computers to do it themselves?
                      Thankyou.
                      Here is the breakdown:
                      $100 for a leased vbulletin license
                      $48 a year for a web hosting account
                      If you need to register a domain name, it will be < $15 a year.
                      Free installation of vbulletin forum by the web host

Total is about $150+ a year

My host is helpful enough to setup for my VB free of charge.
                      ^_^

check out www.mxhub.com

Comment

yup thats what i figured. anyone have problems wit mails from hostgator IP's?
                        Hi - I do have my site with hostgator and have experienced the "mySQL max_user_connection errors" one time. I only had one person online (??) That *could* be user error on my part, like I don't have some setting right but it happened one time along with this error "MySQL server has gone away."

Also my email sent from my forum, like the auto confirmation emails ALWAYS get placed in people's spam folder. So I don't want to do about that.

Comment

Originally posted by tacklebox View Post
                          Thankyou.
                          That is too much for a task that should take less than an hour. Just get a good host and if you cant get it done yourself, get a freelancer to do it for you. The setup should not cost you more than $20-$30, and you can try to get a programmer from rentacoder or scriptlance.
                          Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

HG have a 25 mysql connection limit per account. I'm not sure if VB were the only script that you were running there.
                            Downtown Host LLC - Shared Web Hosting - Offering the best service since 2001.
                            LiteSpeed Support - Vbulletin Optimized servers

Comment

If you are expecting more mysql connections then still you have loads of options to choose from. There are many reputable host out there allowing atleast a few hundred mysql connections.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X