Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What dedicated server to replace my VPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What dedicated server to replace my VPS?

First, I will say that my board runs great on my VPS. However, I am growing frustrated with my host due to slow support response and at times very poor responses. Meaning, sometimes when something is going wrong, I have to 'prove' there is a problem. It's more work than it's worth.

So, while I am not in crisis mode, I am thinking about keeping my eye on the hosting offers at WHT, and grabbing up an unmanaged Cpanel server, and then use Platinum Server Management for anything that I can't handle myself.

Currently, I am on 1156mb VPS, which is on a fairly fast Dell quad core node with SAS 15k drives (Raid-10 setup), with only a few other VPS's on it. The host has been great in that sense, when some other VPS's were eating too much I/O, they moved me to a more isolated hardware node with a few other customers that don't overuse resources.

So, hence the reason for not needing to rush to another host, but look for a good deal.

Anyway, I never use more than 700mb of the RAM on the VPS. Here are some stats:

Threads: 23,963, Posts: 438,023, Members: 1,027, Active Members: 412 (30 days)

I range from 150-200 'active users' for a good part of the day, based on a 30 minute timeout.

1500-2000 new posts a day.

Google analytic stats:
    1500-2000 visits a day
    About 1000 unique visitors a day
    About 27,000 page views a day

I get a few new registrations a day, and the active users steadily grow (especially now that I am in football season), but it is slow growth.

So, with those stats, what type of server do I need?

Is a dualcore like Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz sufficient, or do I need to jump to dual processor (dual cores) or a quad core like Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz?

What about RAM? Is 2GB sufficient, or do I need more?

Hard drives. This is the biggie. On most of the low end machines, there is typically a big jump in price going from SATA to SAS, so at my loads, is there any real reason to go SAS?

I am on a high end VPS, so I am paying around a $100, and it is a fast VPS, but I am not getting the service to command that price. I could go to another VPS, but then once again risk having someone elses compromised VPS swamp the hardware node with I/O requests, which has been the problem in the past (not often, but something I want to avoid).

So, I am looking for a low end, unmanaged, Cpanel server, since based on what I have learned over the last year, I will be able to do the vast majority of setup/upgrades/etc. myself with Cpanel, and then will use Platinum Server Management when I have something I don't want to tackle myself (like initial server hardening).

So, here are some Specials that Hivelocity are currently running:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
    4 GB Ram (upgradeable to 8GB)
    250 GB Seagate Sata hdd
    6 ips
    1500 GB monthly bandwidth-$135/month, $0/setup
    2000GB, 3000GB and Unmetered Bandwidth Available

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8 Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache
    2 GB Ram (upgradeable to 8GB)
    160 GB Seagate Sata hdd
    6 ips
    1500 GB monthly bandwidth- $99/month, $0/setup

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 Ghz, 6MB L2 Cache
    2 GB Ram (upgradeable to 8GB)
    160 GB Seagate Sata hdd
    6 ips
    1500 GB monthly bandwidth-$119/month, $0/setup

On these, I will have $25 for Cpanel, and I can go to a 73 GB 10K Raptor (Sata) drive for $20 a month, which isn't too bad.

The Planet is running a special on a dual xeon with Scsi drives:

Dual Xeon 2.4
    1024MB RAM
    2x73GB 10K RPM SCSI/SAS HDD
    1500GB Bandwdith
    $115/mo ($25 for another 1GB of Ram, and $25 for Cpanel)

Ideally, I would like to keep the cost below $150, and the closer to $100 the better, as I will wind up adding on $29 a month for the Platinum server management services (some or all months, depending on whether I use them as my monitoring service).

So, any input on what level of server I need, would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to way over buy right now, but at the same time I want to keep the message board running as fast as it currently is, and have some room for growth.
    BroncosForums.com - Broncos Fan Forum
    Total Broncos - Denver Broncos Blog and News

For the same money $180-190 (including Cpanel), which of these two options would be better:

Dual Xeon 2.4
    2 GB RAM
    2x73GB 10K RPM SCSI/SAS HDD (no raid, one drive dedicated to backup)
    1500GB Bandwdith

or

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
    4 GB Ram
    73 GB Raptor (10k Sata)
    250 GB Seagate Sata hdd (for backup drive)
    1500 GB monthly bandwidth-

Comment

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 is the better of the two. Kind of high on price though.

Comment

Hey,

One important thing, do you know how to manage a dedicated server?

If not, be sure to get a managed dedicated server or get a separate server management service which cost around $30+/mo.

Comment

Originally posted by rolypoly View Post
          Hey,

One important thing, do you know how to manage a dedicated server?

If not, be sure to get a managed dedicated server or get a separate server management service which cost around $30+/mo.

After a year working on a VPS, and doing much of the work myself, and asking what steps support took when they did something, I feel pretty good about most day to day operations.

I still don't get the whole tail thing, but for most of the stuff in WHM and much of what I do via SSH, I am comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
            After a year working on a VPS, and doing much of the work myself, and asking what steps support took when they did something, I feel pretty good about most day to day operations.

I still don't get the whole tail thing, but for most of the stuff in WHM and much of what I do via SSH, I am comfortable.
            Nice one, tnedator.

Have you decide who to go with?

Comment

Nice one, tnedator.

Have you decide who to go with?
              Yea, a little pick and pray, unfortunately, because it is hard to draw direct comparisons. However, since my message board is still VPS size in reality, I think anything will probably suffice. I am just not willing to be affected by other VPS's bringing down the node due to heavy I/O.

Anyway, I went with a server from Hivelocity. They seem to have a very good reputation on WHT. There were cheaper hosts around, but not with the same good reviews (hardware/network uptime). However, they are self-managed, so we'll see if I really am ready to jump into the deep end.

E7200 2.53 Ghz (Core2Duo).
              4 Gig Ram
              2 x 160 GB (16 MB cache) in a Raid 1

I'll see how that does on the heavy days, and then from there will get a feel for if I shot too high or low.

Comment

Nice server!
                Did you get yourself a control panel? Cpanel is good!

Comment

Nice server!
                  Did you get yourself a control panel? Cpanel is good!
                  Yea, Cpanel.

I can manage things pretty well with Cpanel, and only a little support or googling, when I have to venture into SSH commands (like SCP'ng all my backups across, ore changing ports, etc.), but my knowledge is way to low for a non-control panel server right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
                    Yea, Cpanel.

I can manage things pretty well with Cpanel, and only a little support or googling, when I have to venture into SSH commands (like SCP'ng all my backups across, ore changing ports, etc.), but my knowledge is way to low for a non-control panel server right now.
                    haha. You are quite good actually.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X