Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Private Server - thoughts?

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice here. I currently have my site hosted on a VPS. I've always been one for supporting local companies, however, having looked around at a few other sites (mostly USA based - I'm in the UK) I can't help but feel that I'd be better off getting a VPS from another company.

At the moment I'm paying £71 per month (approx $122 by today's exchange rates) for the following:

- Fully managed VPS
    - Operating System: CentOS 5.1 w/ CPanel/Web Host Manager
    - Allocated Hard Drive: 36GB
    - Allocated Bandwidth: 30GB/Month
    - Allocated Memory: 256 MB
    - IP Addresses: 2

Now, a quick look over at jaguarpc.com (for example) shows that I could get more allocated memory, more bandwidth and more hard drive space for literally half the price.

Am I missing something?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan

the fully managed part will be a large part of that monthly..

personaly i would go for unmanaged as i know a little how to run server.. etc.

try http://www.xilo.net/virtual_private_servers-vps/

http://www.servelocity.net/site/index.cgi
    Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

You can get MUCH MUCH more for your money elsewhere.

Have a look here...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

I've recently bought a futurehosting platinum vps and I'm very happy with it.

Comment

wow.. IMHO futurehosting is expensive!.
        Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

Ral.ly

Howdy Ral.ly

I've been using Global Gold since 2000!! and I can't recommend them enough mate. They currently supply us with a dedicated server which runs our v. busy forum (30,000 members, 400+ simultaneous connections pretty much around the clock and 3mil+ posts and counting) and they've pretty much helped us as we've grown. I've tried numerous other hosting providers, both in the UK and the U.S, (including some big brand named hosting companies which I won't embarrass here) and nothing comes close. Their support is pretty awesome as well, coz although they've grown into a big company now, they still have that personal touch which so many others seem to lose after a while.

I run two massive web sites, www.tombraiderchronicles.com and www.tombraiderforums.com and I'd recommend Global Gold over anyone!

Good luck mate.

Comment

Originally posted by glennybee View Post
            You can get MUCH MUCH more for your money elsewhere.

Have a look here...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

I've recently bought a futurehosting platinum vps and I'm very happy with it.
            I would be cautious of hosts throughing in lots of free stuff. All a vBulletin site needs is reliable fast hardware with SAS drives and lots of memory.
            Tim
            Nimbus Hosting
            www.nimbushosting.co.uk (vB Hosting Experts)

Comment

Originally posted by McJ View Post
              Howdy Ral.ly

I've been using Global Gold since 2000!! and I can't recommend them enough mate.
              Thanks for the comments guys 'n girls, think I'll have to start shopping around!!

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by WEBDosser View Post
                wow.. IMHO futurehosting is expensive!.
                What would you recommend then? Do you have examples of hosting companies that are cheaper but offer the same spec?

A cheaper host doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Do a lot of digging about if you are thinking about choosing a host. Search for reviews and peoples opinions, these are what matter. No point in going to a cheap host that offers the best gear if they don't know how to enable mod_rewrite on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Ral.ly View Post
                  Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice here. I currently have my site hosted on a VPS. I've always been one for supporting local companies, however, having looked around at a few other sites (mostly USA based - I'm in the UK) I can't help but feel that I'd be better off getting a VPS from another company.

At the moment I'm paying £71 per month (approx $122 by today's exchange rates) for the following:

- Fully managed VPS
                  - Operating System: CentOS 5.1 w/ CPanel/Web Host Manager
                  - Allocated Hard Drive: 36GB
                  - Allocated Bandwidth: 30GB/Month
                  - Allocated Memory: 256 MB
                  - IP Addresses: 2

Now, a quick look over at jaguarpc.com (for example) shows that I could get more allocated memory, more bandwidth and more hard drive space for literally half the price.

Am I missing something?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jonathan
                  Thoughts ? Your in the UK and that is the best place for your server.

I have had these mega zillion size deals with everything supposedly thrown in,I would not host outside the UK again after the problems I saw at several companies and the ping times alone make a huge difference.

A good UK host will be able to advise on what you actually need for your forum size and give you that,not all the "it's unlimited" waffle.

Give Tim at Global Gold a ring and see what he has to offer,it is the service that counts and these guys give exactly that,5 star service .

Comment

I would definatly recommend http://www.globalgold.co.uk/

I have just signed up with them for my forum located at http://www.xboxformat.com/ and they are extremely helpful and the forums load very fast.

Comment

www.vpslink.com
                      $75/month for: 1 TB bandwidth, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB space, 5 IP addresses
                      Last edited by Steve Machol; Sat 25 Oct '08, 8:50am. Reason: Note: It is against the forum rules to post referral IDs.

Comment

I would definatly recommend http://www.eboundhost.com/af/af-jamrob If your looking for a really good VPS hosting service thats cheap

Comment

Hi,

For £71/month you could just about scrape a dedicated server let alone a VPS, which would make a world of difference to forum performance if setup and configured appropriately.

If you still go for the VPS route, make sure you go with an isolated VM partition, running on say Xen so you have your own dedicated RAM and swap space.

If your forum is running with say 50 users max online, a Xen based VPS with say 256MB RAM running on basic server hardware would run just about ok. If you want some examples give me a shout and I can show you.

Regards,
                          Suhail.

Comment

Originally posted by McJ View Post
                            Howdy Ral.ly

I've been using Global Gold since 2000!! and I can't recommend them enough mate.
                            Well guys 'n girls, after a lot of searching and analysing various options, I decided to go with Global Gold in the end. And I have to say, their service in helping me migrate my forum and setting everything up has been second to none. I've been dealing with Tim and he really knows his stuff, and offers a very friendly, personable service, and at very reasonable prices too.

This sounds like a sales pitch but it isn't! I've been very impressed!

Going by other comments here about the same company, it seems I've made a good choice!

Thanks again for the advice.

Jonathan

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X