Cheap VPS didn't work for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap VPS didn't work for me

I bought a cheap $10 VPS plan to run my small vbulletin board with about 15 members on consecutively, and about 200 members. On the shared hosting it was kinda fast, but they were offline too much for me. The $10 VPS plan had 128mb dedicated ram and 250 burstable, but the board would load slow, much slower than the shared host. Was it the ram being 128mb that was slowing down the board? BTW, it use LXadmin, not cpanel.

128mb isnt enough to run a webserver. If you're paying 10 dollars a month you might as well get a shared hosting account.

Comment

You'd want at least 256mb RAM and to have everything optimized, not to mention not using some crappy VPS company that overcrowds their VPS nodes.
      Oppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
        128mb isnt enough to run a webserver. If you're paying 10 dollars a month you might as well get a shared hosting account.
        Depends on the server software that you're running. It's not enough with Apache but maybe enough with Nginx or Lighttpd. My small forum with vBSEO, 800 members, 50K posts, and 150-200 posts per day runs smoothly on a VPS with 256MB of RAM (burstable to 512) but rarely exceeds 128 on Nginx. I'd guess that it wouldn't choke if I decreased the dedicated RAM to 128 with 256 available.

Originally posted by royo View Post
        ...not to mention not using some crappy VPS company that overcrowds their VPS nodes.
        That's most likely the real issue. No doubt the node is oversold and you are slow because you don't even have the resources that you are allegedly allocated.
        World War Two Zone

JLK Hosting - non-oversold Virtuozzo VPS solutions - specializing in vBulletin and nginx hosting

Comment

I would definitely recommend at least 512, but most importantly, no VPS provider can afford $10/month plans without overselling.

Go for something a bit higher-end, $25+/month, or take your chances with a shared server.

Other option is to look to share a plan with someone, or see alternatives ALA Amazons services.

vBSeed - High Quality vBulletin Skins

Comment

A $10 cheap 128 mb VPS is atbest for some testing purpose. It is too low to run a live site with decent traffic. Out of 128mb, majority is taken by OS and control panel. Even 256 mb VPS is just a low end server. If you dont have budget for a $512 mb ram server, you might get better performace from a shared server. Just need to find a better shared hosting in your case.
            Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X