Communitech just killed my VB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communitech just killed my VB

Man, This has been a crazy morning. First they or a bot they have disabled my entire directory. I called tech support and they said nothing was wrong.

I FTP'd and saw that the CHMOD was set to 0, so I enabled it. About 45 minutes later the entire domain was deactivated.

Q: Why do hosts play these games with paying customers?

Okay...so after about 15 minutes, I was told that the VB was causing "server load" issues and they recomend me buying a dedicated server?

Q: With what money? I'm unemployed

I did manage to get them to turn the domain on, so I reset the permissions and emailed my community...telling them of the outage and reset the permissions back to 0 ...just incase the guy who disabled it checked in on me.

Any Suggestions?
    Webmaster: Dailydiva.com - My VB is OnTheHush.com

what kind of forum traffic do you get?

Comment

Forum Traffic?

Well, the most users ever on were 30. I do not know if this answers your question or not.

Comment

i've seen shared packages handle anywhere from 3 simultaneous users all the way up to 80 or 90. in the end it's a matter of what the server specs are and how many other people are sharing that server with you.

IMO, 30 users isn't excessive but is getting high for some shared servers.

i know that venturesonline has shared packages that are limited to 45 simultaneous connections. you might consider them. i also know a few people on f5hosting.com that have had up to 30 simultaneous connections without problems. you might consider moving hosts if your current one can't support your load.

Comment

Look what I found

I had my "use persistant connections to the database" (in my admin/config.php file) set at 1 could that have been the issue?

Comment

Re: Look what I found

Originally posted by datman99
            I had my "use persistant connections to the database" (in my admin/config.php file) set at 1 could that have been the issue?

Could've been - I had an old host screaming blue murder at me once when I had only 10 online users and pconnect on (unknowingly!)

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm

Well, I'll test this at a peek time and see what happens..
              I really can't afford to change hosts right now.

Comment

Re: Look what I found

Originally posted by datman99

advice

1. change pconnect to 0
                2. start looking for a better host
                :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Thanks Eva2000

As stated before, with unemployment...I have to pool all resources. I will move it as soon as I am able to.

I have changed the config file settings to
                  0 for persistant connects.

Comment

i agree that having pconnect enabled on a shared box could definately have been your problem.

Comment

Communitech has been known to pull the plugs on website without prior notice.... no warnings... no email....nada word...

Also... Communitech has been known to put over 300+ virtual accounts on one server....

I suggest you find another host (when you can) Communitech has been bad news for years now...

Comment

300 on 1 Server?

Wow, is there a way that i can tell how many virtual accounts are on my CT server? They will never tell me the truth, but I will move as soon as I can afford to do it.
                        Thanks

Comment

From terminal either telnet or ssh, type:
                          cd /home

and do a ls, and see how many dir's are there.....

Comment

Thanks but.....

I got this error

No such file or directory.

Comment

It's two commands Datman99,

cd /home (hit your enter key)

ls (hit return or enter) [this means, show me the directory in unix-speak]

Now, it might scroll by with too much junk to read. If so, type this command instead...

ls |more (hit enter key)

That will displayit one page at a time and you'll want to tap the space bar to get the next screenful.

Last but not least, if it looks like you have 300 (or whatever you consider absurd) accounts on your server, you can do the following to make a log file.

ls >log.txt (hit enter)

Now you have a file named log.txt with all the names in it but it won't display the ls output on your screen.

Keep in mind that I don't know what flavor of *nix Communitech uses. I'm a happy inhabitant of FutureQuest for my hosting.

If those commands don't work for you, either I blew it (it's late.. grin), or you're using a flavor of unix that does it a bit differently.

When you telnet in, look at your main login screen and it usually tells you what type of unix you're using.

Good luck to you,

Bridgette

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X