HostGator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HostGator??

Found this shared host for my future forum.. has unlimited MySQL data base, and PhP 5 support.. Seems about right according to the VBulletin requirements. I'm new to hosting a forum, so excuse me if I seem like a totally lost person, lol

If any of the expierienced members could take some time to review the specs of this host to run VBulletin, it would be very appreaciated..

http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Thanks (Eric)

Hostgator is a big overseller. 1000+ sites per server. You maybe ok for awhile but as their server fills up expect problems. You can do a search here. http://www.webhostingtalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by choppers4life View Post
      Hostgator is a big overseller. 1000+ sites per server. You maybe ok for awhile but as their server fills up expect problems. You can do a search here. http://www.webhostingtalk.com
      Ok thanks for the info... and the link.. I appreciate that

Comment

HostGator is the greatest shared host I've been with, imho.
        But I left them cause I like VPSes, and managing my own server.

Comment

Originally posted by SNN View Post
          HostGator is the greatest shared host I've been with, imho.
          But I left them cause I like VPSes, and managing my own server.
          Yeah I was told to set up my own server, but I want to get a community following before I upgrade to my own server.

If I get my community and site to take ahold and I get many members and traffic, then I'll educate myself about servers. Until then I have no clue how to maintain a server, so I'll just find a good host to perform those duties for me....at least for now, until my community gets a good following.

Hmmmm Choosing a host is the confusing part me thinks.. Nothing worse then losing community members due to a pain in the a$$ web hoster... I hate when the site is down every other login..

Finding a good host will take me a lot of research..

Comment

I was looking at this one too.. StartLogic??

Comment

I've just left Hostagator - I would not recommend them to be honest.

They don't offer APC nor do they allow SSH on their shared or reseller accounts.

Their support response times are also fairly slow.

But this is just my opinion

Comment

I wouldnīt worry about APC, I use Hostgator and my forum is really fast, even on shared, their support is excellent and my sites are fast and stable, thatīs all I need in a host.

Comment

Originally posted by Revolution Yes View Post
                  I've just left Hostagator - I would not recommend them to be honest.

They don't offer APC nor do they allow SSH on their shared or reseller accounts.

Their support response times are also fairly slow.

But this is just my opinion
                  They allowed SSH for me.

They have been top notch for me so far. My $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by wii View Post
                    I wouldnīt worry about APC, I use Hostgator and my forum is really fast, even on shared, their support is excellent and my sites are fast and stable, thatīs all I need in a host.
                    Do you have Zend on your server?
                    What about PHP 5.2.5 - have they updated your server yet? Just curious
                    I didn't like their support..took hours, sometimes days for them to respond, and I found them very unhelpful at times. But hey, we all have different experiences, and with HG you get what you pay for, and sometimes less.

Originally posted by DieselTruck View Post
                    They allowed SSH for me.

They have been top notch for me so far. My $0.02.
                    Really!? The cheeky little...
                    wait, you must have dedicated, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Revolution Yes View Post
                      Do you have Zend on your server?
                      What about PHP 5.2.5 - have they updated your server yet? Just curious
                      I didn't like their support..took hours, sometimes days for them to respond, and I found them very unhelpful at times. But hey, we all have different experiences, and with HG you get what you pay for, and sometimes less.

Really!? The cheeky little...
                      wait, you must have dedicated, right?
                      Nope, I'm still on shared..

Comment

In order to get SSH on a shared account (At hostgator) you must provide authentication (eg: drivers license, or some proof of identification) and be approved.

Comment

Hostgator hasnt been everything they claim to be. Their support has been slow, and we have had problems with our forum whenever they filled up their server with too many sites. They moved us to a new server, and it was a matter of time before the same thing happened.

I dont recommend them for anyone who is wanting to use scripts that require databases

Comment

Umm, to get SSH just request it in live chat or call in. We give it out to everyone. However it's Jailed Shell, not full.

The only complaint we get is when users go over the 25 process limit or the 25% of CPU usage for 90 seconds. If you do that, you will be suspended.

Comment

Be careful using this APC because if you need Zend it does like it very much.

Joey
                              Real Web Host

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X