Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gullian
    replied
    I'm with the planet and love them so far. Godaddy is bogus! They tried to shut down one of my sites because someone claimed copyright on a person's avatar! Pure foolishness.

Leave a comment:

• ~kev~
    replied
    Godaddy:
    2 years ago last thanksgiving weekend, the company I work for, their webserver was highjacked. When I called godaddy tech support (several times) they kept telling me they would not help me. Its not that they could not - they would not help me. Somehow a script was uploaded to the cache folder and was launching a DOS attack against a US Government agency.

The DOS attack was using all of the servers TCP/IP connections. So attempts to access the server were denied.

Godaddy told me that I needed to hire an administrator for the websites server. Even though this was a VPS server, and I thought we were paying for a managed hosting account - godaddy tech support refused to help.

I figured out the problem and got it fixed in a couple of hours.

A couple of weeks after that incident, I moved the companies website to another host. Funny thing, the server has never been highjacked again. So that leads me to believe that godaddy servers were less secure then other hosting providers that I have used. I have used the same exact website software, same type of server, but the godaddy server gets hacked? Something strange there.

Hostgator - good host if you have a simple site. They either offer shared hosting or dedicated. No VPS servers are sold through hostgator.

So when it came time to upgrade to something besides a shared server, I left hostgator.

Virpus networks - Not only stay away, but run away. Run far, far away. Terrible billing, terrible support. They were supposed to move my website for me when I signed up, and they did not. I had to move the site myself - only took a couple of hours.

Futurehosting -
    I am happy with futurehosting and I recommend them to anyone looking for a hosting provider. Wonderful tech support and just about all of my questions or issues have been resolved within minutes.

Even with one website getting over 1,000,000 page views a month, my VPS server is fast and responsive. And that is with 2 Vbulletin installs, and 4 other HTML websites.
    Last edited by ~kev~; Thu 8 May '08, 10:13am.

Leave a comment:

• HenrikHansen
    replied
    I am also a very satisfied customer at a www.asmallorange.com

Leave a comment:

• dknelson99
    replied
    Last night I moved my site from Site5 to A Small Orange. To early to say much except that they were FANTASTIC in helping with the migration.

Leave a comment:

• dkon26
    replied
    Originally posted by musclenexus View Post
    I have one small site running vbulletin and it crawls. 20-30 seconds to load up a page. Time out issues and pages never loading.
    Same exact issues with godaddy. Sometimes just one image wouldnt load after waiting but if I refreshed the page, that image would load and another wouldnt. Mind you, that was their virtual dedicated hosting.

I would stay far away from godaddy when it comes to hosting. They always claimed that it wasnt on their end when it was.

If you really want decent hosting, check out theplanet.com. They have all different size packages to meet almost any hosting needs.

I wouldnt even use godaddy again if they came to my house and told me they would pay me to host with them!

Leave a comment:

• dknelson99
    replied
    I have been with Site5 for about 4 years. I have always been very happy with them. Since upgrading to VB 3.7 about 36 hours ago though, I am having a lot of problems. A LOT of "user exceeded" database errors. They only allow 15 concurrent users. Last night they shut my site down due to excessive resource usage and today I'm still getting a lot of errors. It was down for several hours last nigh. I've been happy with them but have apparently outgrown what they offer. Hate to move but I"m looking now.

Leave a comment:

• eJM
    replied
    It's possible that older customers may not have the same experience that newer ones do. I didn't care for the control panel, but it's not that I had issues with. I didn't like the SSH access - Jailed Shell is the only option I had. The support staff didn't seem to have a full and complete grasp of the English language and there were a great many outages they blamed on me or denied existed. I opted not to move my vBulletin forum to them after a 3 or 4 month trial and hosting of a lot of my other websites.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Bubble #5
    replied
    Originally posted by eJM View Post
    A simple storage service for backups might be the only thing I would consider an account with them for.
    We've used Site5 for many years and have never had any problems with them. Their service has always been great (and fast). Their control panel is second to none. When we used vB on their service it always ran very smoothly. We've always been very satisfied with Site5 and look forward to returning

Leave a comment:

• eJM
    replied
    Originally posted by Bubble #5 View Post
    ... I still wouldn't use [GoDaddy] service for anything other than a small forum. We'll be switching to Site5 next month
    I mentioned previously that I wouldn't use their hosting services. I also wouldn't use Site5 again. They are notorious for over-selling and their support is abysmal. You would be better off elsewhere, especially if you have a vBulletin forum of any size. A simple storage service for backups might be the only thing I would consider an account with them for.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Bubble #5
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    GoDaddy is a registrar, and a bad one.
    No one is as bad a registerfly was

Originally posted by eJM View Post
    I am another one who has had an account with GoDaddy for more than a few years and had not one bit of trouble. I have used telephone support twice to ask them how to do something and found their support stellar in that regard.
    Same here However I still wouldn't use their service for anything other than a small forum. We'll be switching to Site5 next month

Leave a comment:

• jakWEB
    replied
    I registered one domain over godaddy didn't work and that was over my verified paypal account.

So for domains in my opinion it is mydomain.com and I'm quite happy with hostmonster for hosting!

Leave a comment:

• drewla
    replied
    I've been registering domains and hosting for around 9 years, on a fairly small scale, admittedly.

I've been using GoDaddy for domains for the last couple of years and they seem good value and know what they are doing. However, I've looked at their hosting plans but they give me no confidence. Like their website in general, a little too busy and over-complex. Others have obviously had good experiences but sometimes you just get a feel about something.

As for hosting, I have used small UK hosting companies for 9 years but am now in the process of moving to HostGator. So far they have been excellent, particularly their customer service. I can live-chat with them anytime of day or night (bear in mind I'm on European time) and there's always someone there.

I've just got fed up with the slow, stodgy customer service you get at some of the smaller companies. Someone needs to tell these people that the internet isn't a 9 to 5 operation.

So GoDaddy for domains and HG for hosting seems to work for me.

Leave a comment:

• jaycob
    replied
    Originally posted by choppers4life View Post
    Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and search for reviews. Stay away from oversellers.
    why when we all can go to www.downtownhost.com

Leave a comment:

• choppers4life
    replied
    Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and search for reviews. Stay away from oversellers.

Leave a comment:

• peterpigman
    replied
    Originally posted by tacticalnuke View Post
    Check out asmallorange.com
    I still have nightmares about when my site was hosted by them.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X