No announcement yet.

Ok godaddy.com is horrible for hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm leaving Godaddy.com completely. I'm divorcing them. It's not just because of the evil look (godaddy.com home page) on Danica Patrick's face that turns me off. My Vbulletin board is on a shared hosting Linux server. I get "server is too busy" all the time when my board is basically empty. I couldn't even load Vbulletin on a shared windows server so I moved to Linux which works perfectly.

Godaddy is expensive unless you use the endless amount of coupons they send out. After their tech support couldn't solve my "server too busy" problem and they automatically renewed a domain I did not want renewed, I started moving all my domains to 1&1.com for $6.99 .com's

Godaddy doesn't have a toll free tech support number. Theri tech support is very friendly. Unfortunately, they have as much knowledge as a 4 year old playing in a sandbox.

I have learned more about servers and registrars just from reading this forum. The sad part is this is supposed to be for our Vbulletin boards and everyone here spends more time helping other members with server providers, while still answering Vbulletin questions.

I still have my Godaddy shared server until I find another company. Eventually, I will go to VPS once I spend enough time building up my board. I'm not technologically savy like most of the users here are. Fortunately, I live 3 miles from Microsoft and have many friends who can fix anything.

Does anybody have anything bad to say about 1&1? I'm just using them a registrar right now. I completely agree, Godaddy is bad news. They were not that bad for a registrar as long as you have a coupon. Now their .com names are $9.99

Comment

When you compare domain name services between GoDaddy and 1&1, you will learn the meaning of, "you get what you pay for." Oh wait, you will get more with 1&1 - more headaches, more frustration, more fun trying to understand the broken English of their tech support, etc., etc. Go for it.

Jim
      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
      www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

This just in. Godaddy is furiously calling me trying not to lose my business. They are offering me 30-40% off discounts. What should I do? Do I go for a VPS through godaddy?

Is there such a thing as a good server provider?

Comment

Why wouldn't there be? Godaddy just doesn't really excel at hosting. Depends what your needs are and your budget though...
          Oppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalnuke View Post
            Check out asmallorange.com
            I still have nightmares about when my site was hosted by them.

Comment

Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and search for reviews. Stay away from oversellers.

Comment

Originally posted by choppers4life View Post
                Go to http://www.webhostingtalk.com and search for reviews. Stay away from oversellers.
                why when we all can go to www.downtownhost.com
                Teen Forums | Chloe Moretz | Teen Celebrity

Comment

I've been registering domains and hosting for around 9 years, on a fairly small scale, admittedly.

I've been using GoDaddy for domains for the last couple of years and they seem good value and know what they are doing. However, I've looked at their hosting plans but they give me no confidence. Like their website in general, a little too busy and over-complex. Others have obviously had good experiences but sometimes you just get a feel about something.

As for hosting, I have used small UK hosting companies for 9 years but am now in the process of moving to HostGator. So far they have been excellent, particularly their customer service. I can live-chat with them anytime of day or night (bear in mind I'm on European time) and there's always someone there.

I've just got fed up with the slow, stodgy customer service you get at some of the smaller companies. Someone needs to tell these people that the internet isn't a 9 to 5 operation.

So GoDaddy for domains and HG for hosting seems to work for me.

Comment

I registered one domain over godaddy didn't work and that was over my verified paypal account.

So for domains in my opinion it is mydomain.com and I'm quite happy with hostmonster for hosting!
                    Conten Management System -> http://www.jakcms.com
                    Kitesspots around the world -> http://www.endlesswind.com
                    All we do is programming ->http://www.jakweb.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                      GoDaddy is a registrar, and a bad one.
                      No one is as bad a registerfly was

Originally posted by eJM View Post
                      I am another one who has had an account with GoDaddy for more than a few years and had not one bit of trouble. I have used telephone support twice to ask them how to do something and found their support stellar in that regard.
                      Same here However I still wouldn't use their service for anything other than a small forum. We'll be switching to Site5 next month

Comment

Originally posted by Bubble #5 View Post
                        ... I still wouldn't use [GoDaddy] service for anything other than a small forum. We'll be switching to Site5 next month
                        I mentioned previously that I wouldn't use their hosting services. I also wouldn't use Site5 again. They are notorious for over-selling and their support is abysmal. You would be better off elsewhere, especially if you have a vBulletin forum of any size. A simple storage service for backups might be the only thing I would consider an account with them for.

Jim
                        If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
                        www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

Originally posted by eJM View Post
                          A simple storage service for backups might be the only thing I would consider an account with them for.
                          We've used Site5 for many years and have never had any problems with them. Their service has always been great (and fast). Their control panel is second to none. When we used vB on their service it always ran very smoothly. We've always been very satisfied with Site5 and look forward to returning

Comment

It's possible that older customers may not have the same experience that newer ones do. I didn't care for the control panel, but it's not that I had issues with. I didn't like the SSH access - Jailed Shell is the only option I had. The support staff didn't seem to have a full and complete grasp of the English language and there were a great many outages they blamed on me or denied existed. I opted not to move my vBulletin forum to them after a 3 or 4 month trial and hosting of a lot of my other websites.

Jim
                            www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

I have been with Site5 for about 4 years. I have always been very happy with them. Since upgrading to VB 3.7 about 36 hours ago though, I am having a lot of problems. A LOT of "user exceeded" database errors. They only allow 15 concurrent users. Last night they shut my site down due to excessive resource usage and today I'm still getting a lot of errors. It was down for several hours last nigh. I've been happy with them but have apparently outgrown what they offer. Hate to move but I"m looking now.

Comment

Originally posted by musclenexus View Post
                                I have one small site running vbulletin and it crawls. 20-30 seconds to load up a page. Time out issues and pages never loading.
                                Same exact issues with godaddy. Sometimes just one image wouldnt load after waiting but if I refreshed the page, that image would load and another wouldnt. Mind you, that was their virtual dedicated hosting.

I would stay far away from godaddy when it comes to hosting. They always claimed that it wasnt on their end when it was.

If you really want decent hosting, check out theplanet.com. They have all different size packages to meet almost any hosting needs.

I wouldnt even use godaddy again if they came to my house and told me they would pay me to host with them!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X