With managed VPS, I get:

- Server protection & hardening
    - Firewall setup
    - Spam protection
    - Security assessment
    - Patches
    - Lots more

Do I get that with unmanaged VPS?

And how difficult would it be for me to add all that to an unmanaged VPS, how much time per day, and how much money?

Would I be saving myself A LOT of trouble and time...

Or just a little trouble and time?

Just go with a Managed VPS
    You'll probably save a lot of time on a Managed VPS rather than unmanaged.

You have to set up everything, which can take a lot of time, but not sure on money.
    I have everything setup after like 2 days, but that's with my knowledge of Unix, the average person would take a longer, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 2theskies View Post
      With managed VPS, I get:

- Server protection & hardening
      - Firewall setup
      - Spam protection
      - Security assessment
      - Patches
      - Lots more

Do I get that with unmanaged VPS?

And how difficult would it be for me to add all that to an unmanaged VPS, how much time per day, and how much money?

Would I be saving myself A LOT of trouble and time...

Or just a little trouble and time?
      The best option would be to go for a fully managed VPS to avoid any kind of problems.
      Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
      Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

If you are skilled and have time, go with unmanaged. There will be a good price difference.

If you have never managed a server before and would need help, go with managed. Getting outside help could be much costlier, time consuming than a managed server.
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

I'd agree, I use un-managed but that's because I quite enjoy fixing things myself, and because I'm cheap . I'd highly recommend managed if you want security etc taken care of for you, and hopefully have it just work.
          - TomJames

Comment

Have to agree, save yourself the time and headaches and go managed. Problems can happen, and you can't just call ghostbusters to do security audits and PHP hardening etc. Plus, if you do run into a problem, your host will likely charge you for admin time to resolve the issue, and that can be around 50-75$ a hour.
            PC Core Hosting - INSANE DEDICATED SERVER DEALS
            vBulletin Optimized Quad Core Servers, 24/7 Live Chat, Daily Backups, 99.9% uptime, cPanel 11, 30 day money back guarantee, Fast RAID 10 Arrays for Data Security.
            CEO/Owner - Cody Salter

Comment

If you are not much into server administration and not technically sound then always go with a managed hosting account, you are free to concentrate on your business rather then solving server security issues. There are many host who can offer you managed hosting at much cheap rates.
              make sure your host will support you for all technical issues including security updates and software installations.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X