X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dns

Hello,

Question about DNS...
    NS file maps the URL to the name server's name (ie ns1.vbulletin.com) and on the A-record file it maps the name server's name to the IP of the name server. So where does these NS and A record files sit at? And how does the browser know which NS file to look?

hi,

The SOA record (state of authority) record from the parent dns server(s) will contain all information about a given domain.You are requirerd to have at least 2 nameservers

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for replying. That's the thing where it gets more confusing. I read that the Start of Authority only contains information on the first name server only. I don't recall it storing information about the location of the NS or A record files. Is there a place on the web where I can read more about where these files are all located?

Comment

hi,

I guess that depends on the dns server with BIND for example there is one file that stores that information it's called domain.ext.db also with BIND as dns server there is a file named "named.conf" which is also verry important
        but it is verry unlikely you have to edit those file(s) yourself most hostingcontrolpanels have systems that generate those files.Offcource a little background knowlegdge is good.There used to be a site called dnsstuff but it is no longer free of charge but i'm sure if you goto google you will find something about this topic

Comment

Working...
        X