Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting advice please

Hi

I've got a pretty small Vbulletin forum hosted with Lunarpages. As I've been with them so long for my other site I have the following:

Disk Space: 40gigs (of which I use 7.5)
    Bandwith: 600gigs (I've used 24 so far this month)

My forum has:
    Threads: 2,107, Posts: 156,311, Members: 554, Active Members: 264
    At this time there is currently 18 users online which is pretty average.

And yesterday Lunarpages tell me:
    While monitoring the server where your account is located on, I had to move your account to a temporary server because your resource usage was way too high.
    Here is your current account usage:
    CPU Usage: 6.96
    RAM memory Usage: 4.63
    MySQL Average Queries: 0.5
    Top Process %CPU 78.0 /usr/bin/php
    Top Process %CPU 72.0 /usr/bin/php
    Top Process %CPU 52.5 /usr/bin/php

They've offered to put me on dedicated hosting but as that's about 12 times what I'm currently paying I'm wondering if there are any other options. I've read about VPS but wonder if that would be the best.

I'd really appreciate any help as I really want to keep my sites and forum going but not at the cost they are offering.

Many thanks

What modifications do you have installed? A forum that size should not be causing those types of load issues?
    www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

I have two modifications, one to show the users visited in the last 24 hours and one to give everyone a private notepad in the User CP (I installed that last one 2 days ago and most of my members don't even know it exists!)

This is my server load average right now: 4.41 4.52 4.70

Comment

I would guess to say it's not an issue on your forum unless you have some very bad settings for image processing or extremely large allowed attachments.

What you are describing is in no way making that load on the server. Shared hosting sucks btw... there will always be problems.
        www.yamaha-forum.net | www.exactservers.com | www.ducati-superbikes.com | www.suzuki-forums.net | www.diavel-forum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Misplaced View Post
          Hi

I've got a pretty small Vbulletin forum hosted with Lunarpages. As I've been with them so long for my other site I have the following:

Disk Space: 40gigs (of which I use 7.5)
          Bandwith: 600gigs (I've used 24 so far this month)

My forum has:
          Threads: 2,107, Posts: 156,311, Members: 554, Active Members: 264
          At this time there is currently 18 users online which is pretty average.

And yesterday Lunarpages tell me:
          While monitoring the server where your account is located on, I had to move your account to a temporary server because your resource usage was way too high.
          Here is your current account usage:

They've offered to put me on dedicated hosting but as that's about 12 times what I'm currently paying I'm wondering if there are any other options. I've read about VPS but wonder if that would be the best.

I'd really appreciate any help as I really want to keep my sites and forum going but not at the cost they are offering.

Many thanks
          Thats the thing happens with overselling. They offer lot of resources and at a very low price to attract customers. I would recommend you to go ahead with a VPS where you'll have guaranteed RAM to use and also you'll have virtual environment.
          Website Hosting | VPS Hosting | Dedicated Hosting
          Email & MSN: [email protected]

Comment

If you are updated your forum with some advance feature such as uploading videos, images etc then there are chances of loading server. I will suggest you to move your account on a VPS rather then Shared hosting.
            You should try to get minimum 256RAM for your server with good bandwidth.

Comment

You wont need a dedciated at this rate, just a good VPs will be enough. Actually, you have very reasonable traffic, you may want to move to another shared host.
              Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

Try hostgator.com's hosting. Good hosting for vBulletin
                vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
                vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

Just cut down your disk space usage and use Medialayer.com

They are by-far one of the best hosting services out there!

Comment

Some company's like lunarpages , hostgator , hostican , servage ( 400'000 hits per day and some other hosting company's offer too many ressources & in a low price ... but they have to many limits in CPU , that really sucks ...
                    Ex.:Servage : they don't say that they have hit limits , but when you bought it & u try it , u will been easly suspended ...

For sharing hosting i propose you www.One.com they don't have limit's in bandwith & cpu .
                    The only thing that sucks at One is that they don't support Zend Optimizer & other softwares or services & they give online 1 mysql database.

Comment

If you are ona shared server that does not mean you are the one doing this, also if you were it could be from the backup or logs processing on your account which you should not be penalized for. With the numbers you haev given, there is no reason you should not be able to run on a shared server unless there is something hidden that you have not posted.

Joey
                      Real Web Host

Comment

Try Power VPS or Rapid VPS

Comment

Hello there,

You haven't specified about the modifications that you had done. So please post me the modifications and about the load issues will be same.
                          Regards,
                          Cranium1200

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X