X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesUS
    replied
    A few things I don't liek the sound of:

Data stored on our servers is not guaranteed to be backed up. It is recommended that you keep an independent backup of all data stored on your virtual server.
    Any good host should back up your data (in my opinion), and most hosts do this now.

If your account is closed, all files (including web pages, etc.) will be deleted.
    So if your account is closed due to going over the server resouces limit (highly possible if your board gets any kind of traffic), you won't get your database back.

We reserve the right to amend and update these Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
    So they could add a dodgy clause and not tell you, then catch you out when you break it.

While they might be good, in my opinion any sign of a red flag at a host's site crosses them off the list. There are too many fantastic hosts out there to take a risk...

I personally recommend:

PCPS Hosting
    Ventures Online

Leave a comment:

• Ollie C
    replied
    I'm working on the same site as Centenary Gas so any help would be good

The terms are here http://www.web-x-press.com/terms.htm , I've not got much experince with hosts so maybe you guys could look through them to see if there is anything iffy in there. The only thing I noticed was...
    Web-X-Press does not permit sites where 20% or more of the monthly traffic is from file downloads, or sites that use more than 10% of system resources, or sites which in Web-X-Press’ view are detrimental to the enjoyment of Web-X-Press services by Web-X-Press’ other clients, or are in the sole and final judgment of the Host, detrimental to network or business operations.
    Now I feel thats rather vague? There is no way of knowing what 10% is in real terms which is slightly worrying....

Leave a comment:

• express
    replied
    If someone does know where I can get an unlimitedGB hard drive though, id be interested to know
    me too?

Leave a comment:

• Nicholas Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Jakeman
    i say that there is no such thing as unlimited e-mail due to restrictions on hard drive space to store the acct info for each acct. hehehehhe. there is no such thing as unlimited in the absolute sense.
    Absolutely correct Jake
    If someone does know where I can get an unlimitedGB hard drive though, id be interested to know

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    i'm just pesimistic (sp?). you say unlimited e-mails. i say that there is no such thing as unlimited e-mail due to restrictions on hard drive space to store the acct info for each acct. hehehehhe. there is no such thing as unlimited in the absolute sense.

Leave a comment:

• express
    replied
    Jakeman

What word does one use if they do offer unlimited items say like unlimited emails. I do and it is on the up and up. So what word would a company use if it is a red flag?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    the words 'unmetered' and 'unlimited' in the specs on hosting packages are always red flags. but you're right, a red flag is just that, it's a warning and doesn't necessarily speak for the quality of the host... but it usually does.

Leave a comment:

• Centenary Gas
    replied
    Why is it a scam? Obviously they have limits, but they do have happy customers, and a very good customer service. They sent me this reply:

"Hi Paul,

I'm wasn't aware of that review - where did you read it please?

If you can wait a day or so, I will make some inquiries as to whether we have 4.0 installed yet - I know it was due to happen last month - I only quoted you as having 3.0 available as I didn't want to promise 4.0 functionality only to find it wasn't installed yet.

Please bear with me and I'll get an answer as soon as possible ok.

Best regards,

Tony"

I am keen to be hosted by them. Obviously if they are a scam I will not, and I appreciate any help, but if you say its a scam it doesn't help me much unless you tell me more....

Thanks
    CG

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    don't touch it, it's a scam.

Leave a comment:

• orca
    replied
    ...and there's nothing like "unrestricted" or "unlimited" bandwidth...

Leave a comment:

• Centenary Gas
    replied
    And they have just told me they support PHP3.0

Leave a comment:

• Centenary Gas
    started a topic Web-X-Press

Web-X-Press

OK I look the like of what they offer, I have seen evidence of UBB working on their pages and talked to a couple of customers, and seen a couple of good reviews. They have excellent customer service. The one con is that they apparently wouldn't upgrade to PHP4, but I am not sure if that was ever true or still applies.

If anyone would like to add their thoughts, the packages are here:

http://www.web-x-press.com/plancomp.htm

I would go for the Unix one.
    Or if anyone could offer any alternate hosts (similar)? Regards
    CG
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X