Netfirms web hosting for vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netfirms web hosting for vBulletin

I want to warn my fellow vBulletin owners to be wary of a hosting company called Netfirms. I wish I had seen the post here from Peter Reuss. It might have saved me from a nightmare experience similar to Peter’s.

Last year I purchased a hosting plan from Netfirms and they assured me they could support vBulletin. I have had so much trouble with them I don’t know where to begin. This company is absolutely the worst hosting service I’ve encountered. That might not mean too much coming from someone fresh out of high school but such is not the case. I’ve owned web domains for over 10 years, I have over 40 domains, and have done business with 7 different web hosting companies. Netfirms is the worst I’ve found and I’ll be happy to talk with anyone about it.

During the first month of Netfirms hosting I received so many MySQL database errors that I threatened to cancel the account. But they assured me that they could fix my problems. After 10 months it was painfully clear that they just want to string you along. As in Peter’s case, their usual response to my complaints was like, "Duh... it was working when I looked at it."

Here is a sample of the errors that I captured in the vBulletin error log file over approximately 8 months. And keep in mind this was a new forum with few users.
    240 MySQL Errors like: MySQL server has gone away
    26 MySQL Errors like: Server shutdown in progress
    159 MySQL Errors like: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

With the hosting plan you are paying for using the MySQL server but it is often not available. Another one of the problems which I posted in these forums involved a vBulletin RSS feed that I set up with Yahoo. Initially the Netfirms support gave me excuses by blaming the XML errors on vBulletin software. This resulted in wasting the time of vBulletin technical support, and causing me many frustrating hours trying to make sense out of it. It turns out that Yahoo had actually blocked Netfirms IP address. I don’t know the reason for that but it doesn’t make Netfirms look good.

The total cost of my Netfirms hosting plan was $119.40. The total cost of phone calls to Netfirms technical support $130.77. You have to admit - that is pretty bad when the cost of your calls for support exceed the annual cost of the entire plan! And this doesn’t include dozens of emails requesting help. And after all this, Netfirms refused to refund the unused portion of my hosting plan. I think they have underestimated the power of the Internet because I will warn everyone who can read.

Of course there are many good hosting companies out there but I don’t want to recommend any particular one because advertising isn’t allowed. Actually, knowing what company NOT to use is almost as good.
    Last edited by Gcox; Fri 8 Feb '08, 11:14pm. Reason: add tags

In the same boat as you. I've been using Netfirms for almost a year now. I'm pretty sure over the course of that time, i'd have well over 1000 emails notifying me of SQL database errors. Even today, their servers have been down for over 3 hours.

I'll be looking for a new host as soon as I get some money refunded from them.

Comment

wow that sucks bad.
      Teen Forums | Chloe Moretz | Teen Celebrity

Comment

Thanks for the warning

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X