Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Database connection limits -- get new host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database connection limits -- get new host?

I am experiencing increasing database connection problems:

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]:
    User xxxx has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections
    /home/xxxxx/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 274

Site5 referred me to its policy, which is reprinted below. I do not know how I am exceeding the limits since my site isn't that big. Does anyone have suggestions for a new host, or a way to control the number of connections?

All users are restricted to 15 concurrent MySQL connections.
    Each database is restricted to 2 GB of disk space.
    Database queries should not exceed 3,000 per hour.
    Database changes (insert/update/delete) should not exceed 1,000 queries per hour.

Yeah, i'd recommend moving. Check out hostgator. I moved a customer there and she has 40+ members on at once and no problems, server loads remaining around 1.5 at those times.

www.hostgator.com

Try coupon code HGC25 to get the first month for a penny.
    Last edited by Colin F; Mon 5 Nov '07, 4:18am.

Comment

If the servers were not overloaded there would be no need for this connection limit.

Joey
      Real Web Host

Comment

There is nothing much you can do to control the connections. It depends on your traffic and the overall server speed which you can not control in a shared host. I suggest moving out. Checkout the following:

Hostgator
        Hostmonster/Bluehost
        ASmallOrange
        Hosting Coupons: Hostmonster @ $3.95 and 20% off Mediatemple

Comment

I would also suggest checking out knownhost, I have had a reseller account with them for over 10 months now.

Comment

On the road again ...

Moved the site to HostGator (baby). Very pleased with the help I've received from them. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by mtrac View Post
              Moved the site to HostGator (baby). Very pleased with the help I've received from them. Time will tell.
              They have MySQL connection limits as well. From what I've read at WHT, only 30 at one time, before your site is turned off completely (not just a warning and shutting down connections manually).

This seems the tactic of super cheap hosts now...give a lot of bandwidth and space, but limit processes.

Something to consider too (how many database connections at a time per account) when shopping for a host.
              "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
              is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
              ~~~
              Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

This is correct. HostGator has a 25-per-account connection limit. I also looked at ASO, which provides 50, and Realwebhost, which does not have a limit. If HostGator doesn't cut it then I will move again. My site is only busy around election time, and even then I don't think I need a huge number of connections. This is the first year I had a problem.

BTW, I was with Site5 for three years, from my forum's inception. One of the reasons I went with them is they ran their support forum on vB. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend them, particularly for hosting a forum. It was embarrassing continually having to apologize to my members why the site was unavailable. Besides the limits noted in the first post, the support response time worsened and the server I was on, Metis, was down for hours on successive days last week. Check the last rows of the uptime report.

Comment

Originally posted by alemcherry View Post
                  There is nothing much you can do to control the connections. It depends on your traffic and the overall server speed which you can not control in a shared host. I suggest moving out. Checkout the following:

Hostgator
                  Hostmonster/Bluehost
                  ASmallOrange
                  Hostmonster only allows 20 connections at a time.

Comment

First I will say is... before signing any hosting company, READ THERE TOS

Second is... I am satisfied with the one I am using, try visit nicheserver.com

Best regards...

UpDownloading.com - hosted by Nicheserver.com

Comment

Originally posted by lunraura View Post
                      Hostmonster only allows 20 connections at a time.
                      Does that mean only 20 people can be on the site/forum at any one time ?

That would make them rather pointless as a forum host if so.

Comment

any idea abt how many connections godaddy or bluehost/hostmonster allow?

thanx ..!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Lord View Post
                          Does that mean only 20 people can be on the site/forum at any one time ?

That would make them rather pointless as a forum host if so.
                          I Want To Know The Answer Too ..

HostGator Replay To Me About The Limit ..

The max number of mysql connections is 25.
                          The max number of apache connections is 25.
                          The max number of running processes is 25

So I'm Moving ..

Comment

Im with aplus.net right now and i get that message all the time. And i don't even have over 50 active regualr users everyday. Maybe just one user a day.
                            There max sql number is 10.
                            They are moving me to a different server because they said the server im on now hosts alot of big sites. But they have bad customer service. Make sure to stay away from aplus.net

please

Comment

If the servers were not overloaded there would be no need for this connection limit.

Joey

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X